Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 11-25-2020, 19:07   #1276
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Having all the usual fare at my Cousin's tomorrow, limited gathering of 10. I'm on desserts this year so it's Pumpkin Pie, Apple Cider donut cake with sugar cinnamon topping and peanut butter cookies dipped in dark chocolate ganache. What..too much?

You can never have too many leftovers so on Friday I'm cooking for myself

Roast turkey breast
Cornbread dressing
Orange cranberry sauce
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Scallopini potatoes (thank you Trader Joe's)
Stuffed artichoke

Hahaha you never have enough desserts 🤣Man that’s a feast, lovely. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 20:46   #1277
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
Hahaha you never have enough desserts 🤣Man that’s a feast, lovely. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving
Agree! You do the same.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:50   #1278
Swoop
Quiet Professional

Smoked turkey
Mashed potatoes
Cornbread stuffing
Corn
Cranberry sauce
Cucumber salad
Pumpkin pie
......and maybe a little bourbon
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:50   #1279
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Smoked turkey
Mashed potatoes
Cornbread stuffing
Corn
Cranberry sauce
Cucumber salad
Pumpkin pie
......and maybe a little bourbon
Ohhhh I love cucumber salad nice😊 Enjoy Happy Thanksgiving

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 13:14   #1280
Box
Quiet Professional

The family got me a pellet grill for Father’s Day but for some time now, I have looked down with disdain and contempt on those who abandon wood fired BBQ in favor of "pellets".

"Hey, while you are mopping the pork shoulder on that pellet grill, you should fix your skirt because I can see your vagina"

I said that I would always love my children - no matter what.
Then this happened while I was cooking dinner on my offset smoker...

"Dad, that thing is falling apart, you really should replace it and get a pellet grill"

I thought he was kidding but then he dropped this bomb on me:
"I have a Traeger and I love it"

The words cut like a thousand daggers. My son 'came out' as a pellet grill owner. That's right, my son has been cooking on a pellet grill. I had to fight back the tears. You never think it will be YOUR kid that looks you in the eye and says they are in love with a Traeger. That its no different than a gas grill, easier than charcoal, you don't have to stand around all day tending a fire. Then they bring a pellet grill into your home

"We got you a bag of 'Signature Blend' pellets and a grill cover"

What do you say when there is a pellet grill sitting on your patio - right next to your Combination Gas/Charcoal/Offset Smoker? I hope none of you ever feel that level of discomfort and awkwardness.
I have always prided myself on having an open mind - raising my children to treat people the way they would want to be treated - to set an example of judging others on merit and not on some preconceived notions borne of fear or ignorance.
...but then again I never thought one of my sons would shack up with a pellet grill

I was grateful and considerate but only on the surface. Inside I was confused, hesitant, uncertain, and sad.
What would this mean for my old grill? She's been with me for a LONG time. Sure, she is rusted, weathered, and has problems getting to max temperature because of a bad regulator, but I can’t just toss her on a scrap heap with the other grills I used and discarded over the years. I decided the best way to welcome this new pellet grill into my home would be to fix a nice tasty barbeque dinner.

I started a fire of lump charcoal in my Char-Griller and used hickory wood chunks to keep the fire going while I smoked some chicken on my wood fired offset smoker. Clearly my son was disappointed that I was resisting the change of lifestyles. My daughter was quite amused and thought it would be hilarious to get a picture of my patio - with a brand-new pellet grill; hidden away under a cover - while dad smoked chicken and corn-on-the-cob on a wood fired offset smoker.

I stalled for time with excuses like, “I need to read the instructions first" I cooked a LOT of chicken that night. The next night my excuses continued – “we have plenty of leftovers, I was thinking we could have chicken one more night” - then it rained. The rain would prove to be my ally since it kept on for several days, but it wouldn't last. My son's stay was only temporary since he was on leave and would be returning to his duty station in a few days and I was under incredible pressure to cook something on that pellet grill before he returned home to be with his OWN pellet grill.

People deny the broad cultural changes taking place in today’s military but my son NEVER had any interest in pellet grills until joining the Army and being stationed in Colorado. I don't know if it was dope smoking hippies in Colorado or just the constant drone of Army wokeness that introduced him to this pellet grill lifestyle, but what’s done is done...

After running out of excuses, I loaded up the hopper to "season" the grill. I was disgusted with the process; plugging in the control unit, priming the auger,. For the love of peace, pellets look like rabbit food not something you should use to smoke meat. Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to check out the bag that held these ridiculous pellets. Imagine my surprise when I found that 'Signature Blend' was a combination of hickory, maple, and cherry hardwoods that produced the pleasant familiar aroma of barbeque smoke. I was also surprised to learn that pellets burn cleaner than the charcoal and wood chunks I've been using all tese years. I felt a sense of betrayal as I closed the lid on the pellet grill so the ribs could cook. My old Char-Griller sat cold and unused while the smoke wafted from this strange new cooker. I had literally turned my back on the old 'Texas Trio'

When the ribs came off the pellet grill, they looked the same as any other rack of ribs but there was no denying that something had changed. The smoke ring was still there, the bark on the ribs was still there, and I still had to clean up the grate once all was said and done - but something was different. I can't live in denial any longer. I've been cooking on my new Pit Boss Mahogany Series 820D3 Wood Pellet Grill for a few weeks now and I have not been disappointed.

I still have feelings for the Char-Griller, and often find myself leaning against her to drink my coffee when I let my dogs out in the morning. I've cleaned the grates even though I haven’t cooked anything on it since that last batch of smoked chicken. I still haven't replaced the gas regulator. I don't know where I go from here, I just know that I'm still not ready to get rid of my beloved Texas Trio just yet so she just sits there while I continue to experiment with 'pellet cookery'

To be perfectly honest with everyone, I'm writing this while a 7 pound bone-in pork butt is smoking over a blend of Apple, Maple, and Cherry hardwood pellets. So far I’ve smoked a 3 pound beef roast over Jack Daniels Blend Pellets - and it came off the grill tasting like a medium rare steak. Sliced thin, and piled high on pretzel buns with a dab of horseradish and some melted cheese - we had roast beef sandwiches that rivaled the Arby's Beef and Cheddar. Two racks of 3-2-1 Memphis style baby backs came out so succulent and juicy that they looked like they had been brushed with BBQ sauce.

I know some will judge me - so be it – those are the limits of YOUR life while you rule over your own little kingdom of BBQ prejudice and a sour bigotry towards alternative cookstyles. I prefer diversity and inclusion when it is time to cook succulent juicy delicious smoked meats in a judgment free dining room.
My kitchen is your safe space if you dare enter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ribs.jpg (127.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Smoked Beef Roast.jpg (92.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Pork Butt.jpg (58.8 KB, 23 views)
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 06-27-2021 at 15:01.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 14:15   #1281
cbtengr
Area Commander

Box ^^^^ Hard to argue with those results. What temp did you bring your roast to?
Old 06-27-2021, 14:54   #1282
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Box ^^^^ Hard to argue with those results. What temp did you bring your roast to?
I pulled the roast off of the grill when the internal temp was showing 156 if memory serves. It took about five hours to get there. I smoked it on the factory smoke setting which is somewhere around 225 degrees.

Wrapped it and let it rest for about 30 minutes while I melted the velveeta and mixed up some three-color slaw.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Old 06-27-2021, 16:31   #1283
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
The family got me a pellet grill for Father’s Day but for some time now, I have looked down with disdain and contempt on those who abandon wood fired BBQ in favor of "pellets".

"Hey, while you are mopping the pork shoulder on that pellet grill, you should fix your skirt because I can see your vagina"

I said that I would always love my children - no matter what.
Then this happened while I was cooking dinner on my offset smoker...

"Dad, that thing is falling apart, you really should replace it and get a pellet grill"

I thought he was kidding but then he dropped this bomb on me:
"I have a Traeger and I love it"

The words cut like a thousand daggers. My son 'came out' as a pellet grill owner. That's right, my son has been cooking on a pellet grill. I had to fight back the tears. You never think it will be YOUR kid that looks you in the eye and says they are in love with a Traeger. That its no different than a gas grill, easier than charcoal, you don't have to stand around all day tending a fire. Then they bring a pellet grill into your home

"We got you a bag of 'Signature Blend' pellets and a grill cover"

What do you say when there is a pellet grill sitting on your patio - right next to your Combination Gas/Charcoal/Offset Smoker? I hope none of you ever feel that level of discomfort and awkwardness.
I have always prided myself on having an open mind - raising my children to treat people the way they would want to be treated - to set an example of judging others on merit and not on some preconceived notions borne of fear or ignorance.
...but then again I never thought one of my sons would shack up with a pellet grill

I was grateful and considerate but only on the surface. Inside I was confused, hesitant, uncertain, and sad.
What would this mean for my old grill? She's been with me for a LONG time. Sure, she is rusted, weathered, and has problems getting to max temperature because of a bad regulator, but I can’t just toss her on a scrap heap with the other grills I used and discarded over the years. I decided the best way to welcome this new pellet grill into my home would be to fix a nice tasty barbeque dinner.

I started a fire of lump charcoal in my Char-Griller and used hickory wood chunks to keep the fire going while I smoked some chicken on my wood fired offset smoker. Clearly my son was disappointed that I was resisting the change of lifestyles. My daughter was quite amused and thought it would be hilarious to get a picture of my patio - with a brand-new pellet grill; hidden away under a cover - while dad smoked chicken and corn-on-the-cob on a wood fired offset smoker.

I stalled for time with excuses like, “I need to read the instructions first" I cooked a LOT of chicken that night. The next night my excuses continued – “we have plenty of leftovers, I was thinking we could have chicken one more night” - then it rained. The rain would prove to be my ally since it kept on for several days, but it wouldn't last. My son's stay was only temporary since he was on leave and would be returning to his duty station in a few days and I was under incredible pressure to cook something on that pellet grill before he returned home to be with his OWN pellet grill.

People deny the broad cultural changes taking place in today’s military but my son NEVER had any interest in pellet grills until joining the Army and being stationed in Colorado. I don't know if it was dope smoking hippies in Colorado or just the constant drone of Army wokeness that introduced him to this pellet grill lifestyle, but what’s done is done...

After running out of excuses, I loaded up the hopper to "season" the grill. I was disgusted with the process; plugging in the control unit, priming the auger,. For the love of peace, pellets look like rabbit food not something you should use to smoke meat. Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to check out the bag that held these ridiculous pellets. Imagine my surprise when I found that 'Signature Blend' was a combination of hickory, maple, and cherry hardwoods that produced the pleasant familiar aroma of barbeque smoke. I was also surprised to learn that pellets burn cleaner than the charcoal and wood chunks I've been using all tese years. I felt a sense of betrayal as I closed the lid on the pellet grill so the ribs could cook. My old Char-Griller sat cold and unused while the smoke wafted from this strange new cooker. I had literally turned my back on the old 'Texas Trio'

When the ribs came off the pellet grill, they looked the same as any other rack of ribs but there was no denying that something had changed. The smoke ring was still there, the bark on the ribs was still there, and I still had to clean up the grate once all was said and done - but something was different. I can't live in denial any longer. I've been cooking on my new Pit Boss Mahogany Series 820D3 Wood Pellet Grill for a few weeks now and I have not been disappointed.

I still have feelings for the Char-Griller, and often find myself leaning against her to drink my coffee when I let my dogs out in the morning. I've cleaned the grates even though I haven’t cooked anything on it since that last batch of smoked chicken. I still haven't replaced the gas regulator. I don't know where I go from here, I just know that I'm still not ready to get rid of my beloved Texas Trio just yet so she just sits there while I continue to experiment with 'pellet cookery'

To be perfectly honest with everyone, I'm writing this while a 7 pound bone-in pork butt is smoking over a blend of Apple, Maple, and Cherry hardwood pellets. So far I’ve smoked a 3 pound beef roast over Jack Daniels Blend Pellets - and it came off the grill tasting like a medium rare steak. Sliced thin, and piled high on pretzel buns with a dab of horseradish and some melted cheese - we had roast beef sandwiches that rivaled the Arby's Beef and Cheddar. Two racks of 3-2-1 Memphis style baby backs came out so succulent and juicy that they looked like they had been brushed with BBQ sauce.

I know some will judge me - so be it – those are the limits of YOUR life while you rule over your own little kingdom of BBQ prejudice and a sour bigotry towards alternative cookstyles. I prefer diversity and inclusion when it is time to cook succulent juicy delicious smoked meats in a judgment free dining room.
My kitchen is your safe space if you dare enter!
At least you're still eating meat . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 16:55   #1284
tonyz
Area Commander

Pellets

...and, lol, playing with fire !!!!

Bravo !!

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 22:48   #1285
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

I am reminded of an incident a little over a year ago. It's a nice evening and my garage doors are open, which always begs the invite of my friends to drop by for a beer. My next door neighbor is sitting there drinking a beer with me and his phone buzzes. He looks at his phone and tells me it is his grill reminding him to turn the temperature down. I guess I looked at him like he was some kind of alien because he proceeded to tell me all about his new, fancy pellet grill that wasn't a Traeger but a competitor ( I forget the name) that is just as costly. Now, I'm not adverse to getting something to cook and walk away for awhile, after all I do use a crock pot fairly often but this idea of "grilling" and walking away just doesn't sit right with me. After all, it is tradition that while tending the grill you must drink alcoholic beverages and bask in the wonderful smell of charred meat and smoke. Unfortunately our society continues to destroy our traditions and past times. As for me, in my area, I am becoming a lone survivor and holder onto of the old ways as I still fire up my 16 year old gas grill which sits on the deck with my charcoal grill/smoker as all those around me "wake" up to this new pellet extravaganza.
I look at you in a new light now Box . By the way, is yours one of those with the internal thermometer and cell phone app?

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:04   #1286
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshooter View Post
...he proceeded to tell me all about his new, fancy pellet grill that wasn't a Traeger but a competitor (I forget the name)
"Pit Boss"

Quote:
...it is tradition that while tending the grill you must drink alcoholic beverages and bask in the wonderful smell of charred meat and smoke.
We mock what we don't understand.
The smell of smoke is even better now that there s actually a well constructed blend of hardwoods smoldering beneath the tasty morsels of dead animal flesh - the pork butt, the apple wood, the maple, the cherry - dear sweet baby Jesus the aroma is heavenly.
In fact, with the decreased work load from not having to tend to the fire, there is actually MORE time to enjoy those beverages...
Wine coolers - Fruity Rum drinks - White wine spritzers - your mind starts to wander when you have so much time on your hands.

Settle down - I'm just kidding. I'm only experimenting with pellet grills - I'm still a long way from shopping at the same clothing stores as the former Olympic Athlete previously known as Bruce.
Beer-Bourbon-BBQ - those are my vices...

Quote:
I look at you in a new light now Box . By the way, is yours one of those with the internal thermometer and cell phone app?
Don't judge me.
Besides, what I do on my patio behind closed privacy fences with consenting adults is my own business.

Last edited by Box; 06-28-2021 at 07:21.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:05   #1287
cbtengr
Area Commander

Apples and Oranges

Smoking meat and grilling meat are two different animals, it takes a good 10 hours to smoke a pork butt and once it is on the smoker it does not require a whole lot of attention. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain it is not very high tech getting it vented properly to control the heat is the main thing. Creating really good BBQ meat is not all that tough.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:15   #1288
JimP
Quiet Professional

Ya'll are forgetting one of our tenets: "If it's crazy, but works....it ain't crazy."

Now - that in no way will detract from us casting aspersions on Box's lineage; comparing his gene pool to a horrific act of animal husbandry; and questioning his current preferred pro-nouns; but hey - at least he's still wearing men's clothes!!
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:51   #1289
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Ya'll are forgetting one of our tenets: "If it's crazy, but works....it ain't crazy."

Now - that in no way will detract from us casting aspersions on Box's lineage; comparing his gene pool to a horrific act of animal husbandry; and questioning his current preferred pro-nouns; but hey - at least he's still wearing men's clothes!!

I'm just trying to find my place in an ever changing world.

Let's look at it this way - you can't "fight" city hall but you CAN work there. Resist in public all you want but there's no wi-fi in the re-education camps.
When I switch to sun-dried tomatoes, grilled cauliflower steak, and tofu grilled burnt ends all grilled up on my DIY solar oven, you will all know that I have been compromised.

Until then - follow me if you want to live and navigate the brewing storm of wokeness, militant veganism, and environmentally sustainable BBQ parties...

Old 06-29-2021, 05:58   #1290
Swoop
Quiet Professional

You know what they say, “Once you go pellet, you never go back!”

Green Mountain Grill and love it!
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote