Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 06-26-2020, 09:48   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Who is Ibram X Kendi?

This was posted on FB. I tried to find out who this guy is. Lots of platitudes with very little content. Tried to narrow it down to his politics and came up with NADA..

Anyone??

Quote:

National Book Award winner and New York Times bestselling author Ibram X. Kendi discusses "How to Be an Antiracist."
About this Event

2019 Guggenheim Fellow and New York Times bestselling author Ibram X. Kendi will discuss his renowned book “How to Be an Antiracist” on Monday, July 20 at 7:00 p.m. with Dr. Charlene M. Dukes, president of Prince George’s Community College. Dr. Dukes is the first African-American woman to serve as president of the College and has 30 years of progressive leadership experience and administrative responsibility in higher education. The conversation will be streamed live online on Crowdcast, Facebook, *******, and Twitter/Periscope, and will air on PGCC TV on a later date.

Praised as “The most courageous book to date on the problem of race in the Western mind” (New York Times), Kendi’s groundbreaking work has provided a major new counterpoint in the national conversation about race in America and resonates in this, our collective moment of reckoning.

Ibram X. Kendi is a No. 1 New York Times bestselling author, a professor of history, and the founding director of the Boston University Center for Antiracist Research. He is a columnist at The Atlantic and a correspondent with CBS News. He is the author of five books including “Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America,” which won the National Book Award for Nonfiction; “How to Be an Antiracist”; “Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You,” co-authored with Jason Reynolds; and “Antiracist Baby,” illustrated by Ashley Lukashevsky.

In the lead-up to this event, the Prince George’s County Memorial Library System and Prince George’s County Human Relations Commission will discuss “How To Be an Antiracist” and its call to action on Tuesday, June 30 at 7:00 p.m. as part of their “The Elephant We Don’t See: A Diversity Dialogue” Series. Register for that discussion here. This special event is presented by a consortium of organizations based in Prince George’s County and Maryland, including Joe’s Movement Emporium, Prince George’s County Memorial Library System and PGCMLS Foundation, Prince George’s Community College's Center for Performing Arts, Prince George’s County Human Relations Commission, and Maryland State Library, with generous support from Wells Fargo.

Ibram X. Kendi’s appearance is supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Maryland State Library. The following Maryland public libraries are co-presenters of this virtual event: Allegany County Library System, Anne Arundel County Public Library, Calvert Library, Caroline County Public Library, Carroll County Public Library, Charles County Public Library, Enoch Pratt Free Library, Howard County Library System, Kent County Public Library, and the Ruth Enlow Library of Garrett County.

Copies of the “How to Be an Antiracist” ebook and audiobook are available through the Prince George’s County Memorial Library System and partner libraries.

For PGCMLS Customers

Borrow the ebook: https://pgcmls.overdrive.com/media/4591699

Borrow the audiobook: https://pgcmls.overdrive.com/media/3994914

“How to Be an Antiracist” by Ibram X. Kendi may be purchased through Loyalty Books.https://www.loyaltybookstores.com/book/9780525509288

link event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organizer
Organizer Prince George's County Memorial Library System

Organizer of Ibram X. Kendi on "How to Be an Antiracist"

Organizer Website Website

ABOUT THE PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY MEMORIAL LIBRARY SYSTEM

The Prince George’s County Memorial Library System (PGCMLS), consisting of 19 branches, offers strategies for lifelong learning. Skills development library resources include: Rosetta Stone Library Solution, Lynda.com, Brainfuse’s HelpNow and JobNow, ArtistWorks for Libraries and Learning Express Library. Early literacy resources are: Ready 2 Read Centers, Ready 2 Read Backpacks, ABCmouse, AWE Early Literacy Stations, Beanstack, Playaway Launchpads and PebbleGo. All these services are free with your PGCMLS library card. Also, enjoy Minecraft, 3D printing, DREAM (Digital Resources for Electronic Applications in Media) lab, chess clubs and MAC (Manga and Anime Clubs) free at your library. Engage with us on social media: Facebook, Twitter, Flicker, Pinterest, Instagram and *******. Check out our mobile apps! Learn more about what your Library has to offer at www.pgcmls.info.
link BIO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg safe_image.php.jpg (57.3 KB, 56 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:11   #2
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Ibram X Kendi ????

That's his progressive thoughts; Probably not anything new... WAIT & SEE.
Old 06-26-2020, 13:21   #3
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

After you read the book please send the cliff notes to our Mayor Garcetti in Los Angeles. I'm sure he will immediately reallocate more tax dollars from the police to help fund a new initiative.

Send to his twitter: trending now at hashtag# Pandering Public Pussies

If he fails to act at once let me know and I will go stand in his front yard and scream demands until he capitulates. Usually takes less than 24 hours.

LHC
Old 06-28-2020, 04:03   #4
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
This was posted on FB. I tried to find out who this guy is. Lots of platitudes with very little content. Tried to narrow it down to his politics and came up with NADA..

Anyone??
There’s a book club for him here

FWIW, he admits in the book of being racist towards dark skinned blacks, n later on in life (as he embraced more blackness) against lighter skinned ones.

I wish he conveys more of that culpability and the two-way nature of racism in his current interviews. That would have injected better perspective and accountability in the face of hostile, intolerance burn-loot-murder movement.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:20   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
There’s a book club for him here

FWIW, he admits in the book of being racist towards dark skinned blacks, n later on in life (as he embraced more blackness) against lighter skinned ones.

I wish he conveys more of that culpability and the two-way nature of racism in his current interviews. That would have injected better perspective and accountability in the face of hostile, intolerance burn-loot-murder movement.
I kinda get the feeling he wants to be a BLM swamp critter, but has no backing, so he plays soft-core?

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 16:01   #6
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Here’s a NYT review, glowing of course. He’s a leading source for anti racist training, which is disguised as restructuring of the US system because it white people are the problem but racism is so deeply ingrained in ALL of us, we are racist but unaware.

As insane as this sounds, this is MAINSTREAM liberalism philosophy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/b...m-x-kendi.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/a...sultPosition=1

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 13:27   #7
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Here’s a NYT review, glowing of course. He’s a leading source for anti racist training, which is disguised as restructuring of the US system because it white people are the problem but racism is so deeply ingrained in ALL of us, we are racist but unaware.

As insane as this sounds, this is MAINSTREAM liberalism philosophy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/b...m-x-kendi.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/a...sultPosition=1
Thanks for sharing. What I've noticed over the years is an attempt by the "Progressive" arm of the Democratic party to normalize their views on the rest of the Big Tent. It's driven moderate/blue dog dems out of office and replaced them with the AOCs of the world.

Many groups vote Dem for identity reasons that don't actually mesh with their agenda, but they've successfully co-opted those groups through votes and their interests. Unless the GOP makes a stronger effort to go after key demographics, this vocal minority will ride the Dem wave to more government control in the future.

On an unrelated note, I recognize your name from another SOF forum. I'm Intel Nerd over there. Small world..
Old 07-18-2020, 19:03   #8
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel NCO View Post
Thanks for sharing. What I've noticed over the years is an attempt by the "Progressive" arm of the Democratic party to normalize their views on the rest of the Big Tent. It's driven moderate/blue dog dems out of office and replaced them with the AOCs of the world.
AOC and “the squad’s” politics are now moderate Democrat positions. Previously centrist ideology is now considered far right and conservatives are extreme right wingers. Sanders used to be too extreme yet the party has swung so far left, there is zero difference between Sanders or Biden.

The problem with the NEO-Marxist left, in my opinion, is they are so far left that they actually advocate for ultra-right wing goals:

group ideology
anti-democratization
State control of economic sectors

Some leaders actually believe this crap.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
Old 07-18-2020, 20:36   #9
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

Quote:
AOC and “the squad’s” politics are now moderate Democrat positions. Previously centrist ideology is now considered far right and conservatives are extreme right wingers. Sanders used to be too extreme yet the party has swung so far left, there is zero difference between Sanders or Biden.

The problem with the NEO-Marxist left, in my opinion, is they are so far left that they actually advocate for ultra-right wing goals:

group ideology
anti-democratization
State control of economic sectors

Some leaders actually believe this crap.
All great points. If someone ran on the platform of a 1992 Democrat, they'd be called an intolerant racist right wing extremist. Telling. And Hollywood's outsized social media influence has really conditioned a lot of people towards that.

I'm only 28. Not too excited for what the next several decades may hold.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:13   #10
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel NCO View Post

I'm only 28. Not too excited for what the next several decades may hold.
Education about the movement is key: attack the problem just like we did trying to understand terrorist groups.

The leftist “movement” has many factions with varying degrees of extremism but they all have same goals: reconstruct the American experiment and administer it differently than our Founding Fathers envisioned as per our founding documents.

Ibram X. Kendi, Ijeoma Oluo, and Robin DiAngelo are the “spiritual advisors” of the radical left.

BLM is their activist and ?extortion? wing.
Antifa is their militant wing. (NOFAC seems like they want to be but they’re not widely accepted)
The Democrat party is their political wing.
The American mainstream media is their propaganda wing.

One could outline IS, AQ, etc the same way and only the names would change. I think we’ll soon see foreign volunteers (with more tactical experience) arrested during Antifa ops.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:32   #11
tonyz
Area Commander

An interesting perspective on what is going on today from across the pond.

Excerpt:

”This hounding of people is strikingly reminiscent of Mao’s Cultural Revolution, which convulsed communist China from 1966-1976 and wrecked much of what remained of the country’s ancient civilisation.

The only way someone accused of thought-crime could escape punishment was through public confession, ‘re-education’ and abject apology in so-called ‘struggle sessions’, in which they were humiliated and tormented by their accusers.

Tragically, the woke movement has reinvented this vile ritual, with teachers, journalists, professors and others seeking to hang on to their jobs by desperately begging forgiveness.

In some ways, today’s Twitter Maoism is worse than the original Chinese version. Mao’s Cultural Revolution was unleashed by a communist dictator, who used the upheaval to consolidate his power.

Conversely, in Britain and America today, our leading institutions have shamefully surrendered their own authority to a destructive ideology.

It is vital that this ideological rampage does not rage on for a decade as Mao’s did in China.”

JOHN GRAY: It's not an exaggeration to compare the methods used by the new 'woke movement' to those of Mao's Red Guards
By JOHN GRAY FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
PUBLISHED: 20:07 EDT, 18 July 2020 | UPDATED: 20:20 EDT, 18 July 2020
Daily Mail

Today we are no longer living in a free society. Instead, we are ruled by those who try to enforce their extreme views by shaming and ruining those who think differently.

It is not far-fetched to compare the methods of this ‘woke movement’ to those of Chairman Mao’s Red Guards, who terrorised the Chinese people half a century ago.

The so-called ‘cancel culture’ – publicly shaming and trying to undermine the professional standing of anyone who deviates from ever-more extreme standards of political correctness – is simply the latest expression of this intolerant, baying movement.

Such behaviour was once confined to virtue-signalling celebrities. However, it has now insidiously taken hold in most of our national institutions.

From universities, the Church, big business, schools, broadcast media, the police, local authorities, publishing houses and even in some newspapers, woke ideology is now being actively promoted.

This is a terrifying development.

Anyone who departs from the new orthodoxy is deemed evil and beyond redemption.

By ganging up together on social media, activists are on a mission to get such people sacked from their jobs and silenced forever.

Historically, the far-Left tried to shut down debate. But today’s woke crusaders go much further.

Consider what’s happening in higher education. In the early Seventies, when I took up my first academic job at the University of Essex, it was seen as being pretty Left-wing.

Practically every branch of the radical Left was active on campus. From students out of comprehensives handing out Communist Party of Great Britain pamphlets through to ostentatiously scruffy ex-public school Trotskyites and anarchists, the entire spectrum was represented.

I remember carrying on teaching classes in 1973-4 in defiance of blockades which eventually faded away after a massive police operation in which more than 100 students were arrested.

As a young lecturer, I was able to take a detached attitude because neither I, nor anyone else I knew, was threatened. Back then, what we witnessed was the small world of quarrelling radical sects. No one ever spoke of getting anyone ‘cancelled’.

The same was true when I moved on to teach at Oxford University and then at the London School of Economics. True, most academics in both institutions were Left-wing but there were also crusty old Tories, old-fashioned liberals and many who did not bother about politics at all. There was no rigid orthodoxy in whose shadow teachers and students cowered and quaked.

Today, our universities are bastions of Left-wing, woke orthodoxy. Any dissenting voices – however mild in their beliefs – have to be silenced. And a growing number of schools are now joining universities in propagating this ideology.

‘Critical race theory’ – a sub-Marxist ideology in which ‘white privilege’ is invoked to explain all kinds of injustice – is increasingly being taught as part of ‘decolonising the curriculum’.

Indeed, no subject is immune from this re-education campaign in our schools and universities.

Academics at Birmingham City University have proposed that Mozart be eliminated from music teaching and replaced by the rapper Stormzy. Eton College has announced it will change the teaching of history, geography, religion, politics and English, along with school assemblies and societies, in order to ensure that ‘decolonisation’ is enforced across the board.

It may be true that the school curriculum has been narrow in the past. As an example, I believe too little has been taught of the enormous volunteer army from India, Africa and other then-British colonial territories that fought on behalf of this country in the Second World War.

But the ideology that is being used to shape a new curriculum is even narrower. Abstract concepts of ‘whiteness’ are taught as facts, while the real complexities of history are ignored.

Of course, students and academic institutions have always been full of Left-wing idealised youths but today this woke agenda goes way beyond education and infiltrates every other institution of public life – the very pillars of our civilisation. Nowhere is exempt.

The head of the Church of England, Justin Welby, has, for example, suggested it is wrong to portray Jesus as white. Different cultures portray him in different ways, the Archbishop of Canterbury points out. This is so but the fact is that Jesus was neither black nor white. The historical truth is that Jesus was a Jew, who spoke the ancient Semitic language of Aramaic – something Welby fails to mention.

Our police force, too, has also been affected by woke attitudes.

Officers face many difficulties. There have been violent attacks by protesters on them in Hackney, Brixton, White City and other parts of London. Also, it is true that some have been tainted by racism.

In these conditions, the police are bound to be cautious. But that does not explain officers dancing along with Extinction Rebellion protesters, as some did in April last year at a demonstration at London’s Oxford Circus. There were also scenes of police officers ‘taking the knee’ during the recent Black Lives Matter protests.

Why are our police officers virtue-signalling their wokery? The task of the police is to enforce the law and maintain public peace, not show sympathy for any political movement.

One reason why British institutions have been captured by the forces of illiberalism is contagion from the US, where the movement has been most extreme.

Even the citadels of capitalism have fallen. Giant corporations instruct their employees in diversity training but fail to provide them with medical insurance, childcare facilities or decent incomes.

All the while, there is a witch- hunt which has seen leading figures driven from American institutions.

Last week, the senior curator of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art resigned, accused of ‘white supremacist language’ after he stated that refusing to collect white artists would be ‘reverse discrimination’.

And an opinion editor and writer at the New York Times resigned, citing ‘constant bullying by colleagues’ who attacked what they called her ‘forays into Wrongthink’. This reference to George Orwell’s novel 1984 – where people are punished for ‘thought-crime’ – is very telling.

What’s more, major American news providers and magazines are now operating a system in which staff are encouraged to snitch on their colleagues and denounce one another on Twitter.

This hounding of people is strikingly reminiscent of Mao’s Cultural Revolution, which convulsed communist China from 1966-1976 and wrecked much of what remained of the country’s ancient civilisation.

The only way someone accused of thought-crime could escape punishment was through public confession, ‘re-education’ and abject apology in so-called ‘struggle sessions’, in which they were humiliated and tormented by their accusers.

Tragically, the woke movement has reinvented this vile ritual, with teachers, journalists, professors and others seeking to hang on to their jobs by desperately begging forgiveness.

In some ways, today’s Twitter Maoism is worse than the original Chinese version. Mao’s Cultural Revolution was unleashed by a communist dictator, who used the upheaval to consolidate his power.

Conversely, in Britain and America today, our leading institutions have shamefully surrendered their own authority to a destructive ideology.

It is vital that this ideological rampage does not rage on for a decade as Mao’s did in China.

Otherwise we will find our freedom lost to a movement that aims to dictate how we live and think, and British civilisation will suffer irreparable harm.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ed-Guards.html

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:47   #12
tonyz
Area Commander

On Ibrahim Kendi’s politics...and a less glowing review of his writings. Complete review at link below.

Excerpt:
“The book is weakest in its chapter devoted to capitalism. “Capitalism is essentially racist,” Kendi proclaims, and “racism is essentially capitalist.” To test this claim, a careful thinker might compare racism in capitalist countries with racism in socialist/Communist ones; or he might compare racism in the private sector with racism in the public sector. Kendi does neither. Instead, he presents the link between capitalism and racism as self-evidently true: “Since the dawn of racial capitalism, when were markets level playing fields? . . . . When could Black people compete equally with White people?” Kendi asks, implying that the answer is “never.”

How to Be an Anti-Intellectual
A lauded book about antiracism is wrong on its facts and in its assumptions.

Coleman Hughes
October 27, 2019
The Social Order
City Journal

Reviewing

How to Be an Antiracist, by Ibram X. Kendi (One World, 320 pp., $27.00)

https://www.city-journal.org/how-to-be-an-antiracist

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Last edited by tonyz; 07-19-2020 at 07:50.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:23   #13
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
On Ibrahim Kendi’s politics...and a less glowing review of his writings. Complete review at link below.

Excerpt:
“The book is weakest in its chapter devoted to capitalism. “Capitalism is essentially racist,” Kendi proclaims, and “racism is essentially capitalist.” To test this claim, a careful thinker might compare racism in capitalist countries with racism in socialist/Communist ones; or he might compare racism in the private sector with racism in the public sector. Kendi does neither. Instead, he presents the link between capitalism and racism as self-evidently true: “Since the dawn of racial capitalism, when were markets level playing fields? . . . . When could Black people compete equally with White people?” Kendi asks, implying that the answer is “never.”

How to Be an Anti-Intellectual
A lauded book about antiracism is wrong on its facts and in its assumptions.
Coleman Hughes
October 27, 2019
The Social Order
City Journal

Reviewing

How to Be an Antiracist, by Ibram X. Kendi (One World, 320 pp., $27.00)

https://www.city-journal.org/how-to-be-an-antiracist
In order for that to be true, the Left pretends to not know that not all blacks are poor (or that not all whites are rich) and intentionally conflates their claim for equal OPPORTUNITY with their goal of equal RESULTS. Equal Opportunity comes from freedom to chose/determine one’s path but equal results require compulsory decisions by power holders enforced by punitive sanctions.

The high priestesses of the religion of Woke have decreed that hard work, rugged individualism, etc are a characteristics of White Supremacy.

Last edited by lindy; 07-19-2020 at 08:34.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:36   #14
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
In order for that to be true, the Left pretends to not know that not all blacks are poor and intentionally conflates their claim for equal OPPORTUNITY with their goal of equal RESULTS. Equal Opportunity comes from freedom to chose/determine one’s path but equal results require compulsory decisions by power holders enforced by punitive sanctions.

The high priestesses of the religion of Woke have decreed that hard work, rugged individualism, etc are a characteristics of White Supremacy.
The current propaganda sure seems to be the one thing that has become SYSTEMIC.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Old 07-19-2020, 09:48   #15
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
The current propaganda sure seems to be the one thing that has become SYSTEMIC.
Indeed and it is intentional.

Quote:
The message is clear: If you are unfortunate enough to be born with black skin, you are forever a second-class citizen who pays a race penalty. Under this rationale, the most affluent blacks rank below the poorest whites when it comes to privilege and opportunities. We are asked to believe that more than 50 years of affirmative action programs and race consciousness have done nothing to change the trajectory or opportunities of people born without white skin. Critical race theory says every dysfunctional condition in black, urban communities can be traced to slavery and its aftermath. There is no place for the individual-choice initiative.

What critical race theory actually “accomplishes” is to create anger, frustration, and despondency among persons in the victim categories who internalize the destructive message.
https://1776unites.com/featured-essa...ct-on-america/

This is exact same methodology that convinces well off Muslims they’ve been oppressed for centuries and, since the system is so destructive to their upward socioeconomic mobility and change within the is hopeless , they MUST operate outside all accepted systemic norms to tear it down. Antifa’s are jihadists without AKs and S-vests...for now.

It’s worth noting that the demographics seen at BLM protests and antifa-led riots appear to change the narrative that “this” is about racial inequality in the US. Actual BLM activists are finally understanding that neo-marxists used George Floyd’s death as cover-for-action but since the actions are stuffing BLMs coffers, I doubt they care.