Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 10-27-2014, 22:27   #706
PSM
Area Commander

I put a pork roast in the slow cooker this morning with onion and garlic. This afternoon my wife roasted some of our red and green Big Jim chilis. I used some of the pork for taco meat and froze the rest for future piggy goodness. I also added a couple of the green chilis, the juice from the chili steaming, pork broth, and a little Cabernet. Also made taco shells to taste (soft or crisp). Topped with salsa from the garden and cheese from Walmart (Oh, well. We don't have a cow. ).

Pat

ETA: Added pix. Of course I forgot to take a pic of the plated result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2583.jpg (62.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2584.jpg (74.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2585.jpg (62.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2588.jpg (44.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2592.jpg (47.1 KB, 33 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 10-28-2014 at 09:46.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:42   #707
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I put a pork roast in the slow cooker this morning with onion and garlic. This afternoon my wife roasted some of our red and green Big Jim chilis. I used some of the pork for taco meat and froze the rest for future piggy goodness. I also added a couple of the green chilis, the juice from the chili steaming, pork broth, and a little Cabernet. Also made taco shells to taste (soft or crisp). Topped with salsa from the garden and cheese from Walmart (Oh, well. We don't have a cow. ).

Pat

Hmm. I've got pix, but the Manage Attachment/upload button gives me a "This webpage is not available" error message. I'll post them later.
Pat, will not need the picture, you already painted it.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:47   #708
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Pat, will not need the picture, you already painted it.
Thanks, but could you smell them?

It seems Chrome was the problem in not attaching the pix. Fixed now.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 11-02-2014, 06:37   #709
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
As my chef once told me about ratatouille, "It's not a stew".........
I know. Occasionally it's my delight to have some "juice" for dipping a nice chunk of fresh crusty bread. Not a lot, just a little.

Last edited by Gypsy; 11-02-2014 at 06:39.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:39   #710
Gypsy
Area Commander

PSM, looks and sounds delish!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:34   #711
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

First time ever making sausage from scratch. This was done completely via reading books and watching a video on the internet. It came out better than I expected.

4 lbs pork (it's a bit lean because I used loin rather than shoulder)
4 heaping teaspoons of minced garlic
about 4 Tbsp red pepper flakes
two bunches of sage, fine chop
6oz Parmesan, grated
a little less than 1/4 cup salt (I made a taster and decided to add more than the 1/8th I started with)
a few drops of olive oil to add moisture.

Things I learned:

It doesn't matter how neat you are, it's messy to make your own sausage.
The casings slow down on the tube as they dry out so don't try to do one giant sausage, do it in sections and rewet the casings along the way. It also helps to keep the part you are not working on in the fridge so it comes out consistently.
Stopping to wet the casings in the middle of the stuffing results in air bubbles.
There is a LOT more sausage still on the worm after it stops coming out the tube. Plan on having some that isn't stuffed when you're done.
The smallest amount of casing you can buy is a hank...which is about 100 yards. You'll have enough for about 200-300 sausages. Have a plan to store the unused part (brine in the fridge).
It really wasn't all that tough. the hardest part is cleaning up afterwards.

Things I wonder about that hopefully someone (TS) can shed some light on.

So you twist the casings to make links, then you cut where you twisted. What keeps the meat from falling out of the cut you made when you try to cook it?
Will acids like lemon or vinegar work in a sausage or will it cause the casing to deteriorate?
Why is it recommended to run the meat through the grinder twice? Why not once or three times?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sausage1.jpg (125.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Sausage2.jpg (113.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by (1VB)compforce; 11-23-2014 at 12:38.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 13:37   #712
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by (1VB)compforce View Post
So you twist the casings to make links, then you cut where you twisted. What keeps the meat from falling out of the cut you made when you try to cook it?
Will acids like lemon or vinegar work in a sausage or will it cause the casing to deteriorate?
Why is it recommended to run the meat through the grinder twice? Why not once or three times?
Charcuterie:
French, literally, pork-butcher's shop, from Middle French chaircuiterie, from chaircutier pork butcher, from chair cuite cooked meat

The art of charcuterie has been practiced since the fifteenth century, but in recent years interest has escalated in this artisanal specialty. Pates, cured meats, terrines, and gourmet sausages are staples at upscale restaurants as well as cocktail and dinner parties."The Art of Charcuterie Hardcover – December 7, 2010"
by The Culinary Institute of America (Author), John Kowalski

Your pictures look great.

The casings you're using are the best, natural casings. But you already know that. Usually after stuffing the sausages are smoked and the casings shrink. If you're going to cook "fresh" sausages I'd cut them after cooking. Also you can under stuff and add some length to the casing in between the sausages.

The amount of time you run a protein through the grinder is up to you but it has much to do with mixing and tenderness of the product. Are you keeping all the moving parts of your grinder in the refrigerator?

Adding lemon or vinegar to any meat product with give it taste but it also denatures the protein, be very careful adding acids to proteins as you can literally cook the protein as it sits in acid. (I've made lobster ceviche using only lime juice.)
I know you're reading but in order to get real good you need the best books. You also need a solid background in the "science of cooking".

http://highered.mheducation.com/site...aturation.html

I'd also recommend a few other books (that I also have);

The Science of Good Food by David Joachim , Andrew Schloss and A. Handel

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
Nov 23, 2004
by Harold McGee

Both of those books are "James Beard Book Awardees". I'd also get the CIA's book on Charcuterie.
Old 11-23-2014, 15:09   #713
nousdefions
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'd also get the CIA's book on Charcuterie.
Is that the one where you learn the "Jack Bauer" technique?
“Whether we come from poverty or wealth; whether we are Afro-American or Irish-American; Christian or Jewish, from big cities or small towns, we are all equal in the eyes of God. … May all of you as Americans never forget your heroic origins, never fail to seek divine guidance, and never lose your natural, God-given optimism. … My fellow Americans … God bless each and every one of you, and God bless this country we love.”
– Ronald Reagan, Aug. 17, 1992
nousdefions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 15:51   #714
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Are you keeping all the moving parts of your grinder in the refrigerator?
Why's that?

@(1VB)compforce

Looks great! That's something I've always wanted to do, but haven't tackled yet.

Pat

Old 11-23-2014, 22:38   #715
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Why's that?

@(1VB)compforce

Looks great! That's something I've always wanted to do, but haven't tackled yet.

Pat
Much to learn you have young Charcuterie Padawan!

Keep everything cold. This is the single most important thing when it comes to grinding. Warm meat will smear, the fat will leak out, and it will come out with a cooked texture similar to papier-mâché—pulpy, and dry. Ugh. Place the grinder and all of its parts in the freezer for at least one hour before grinding (I keep mine stored in the freezer all the time), keep your meat well chilled right until ready to grind. If you are making sausage that will require several grinds, grind the meat into a bowl placed inside another bowl filled with ice in order to keep it chilled during grinds
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/h...endations.html
Old 11-23-2014, 22:43   #716
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Much to learn you have young Charcuterie Padawan!
That's why I asked. Yoda man!

Pat

Old 11-24-2014, 01:23   #717
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Another good book on the science of cooking is "What Einstein told His Cook" by Robert L. Wolke.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:33   #718
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

I am helping to make a movie today, it is one of my fellow film school students projects named "Doc in the Box."
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 13:00   #719
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperFrank View Post
I am helping to make a movie today, it is one of my fellow film school students projects named "Doc in the Box."
I think you're going to need a lot of gravy for this one...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 18:43   #720
PSM
Area Commander

Demi-glace

Made the stock today. I woke up this morning to the smell of roasting beef bones. We'll spend tomorrow reducing it.

Pat