Old 05-03-2008, 01:22   #1
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Low Profile Rigs

Gentlemen
I just came home from a peace keeping mission in Kosovo in December, and I volunteered for another deployment starting next month in the sandbox. I was never a fan of the LBV or mounting everything on the Interceptor (espically as bulky as it is, I espically noticed this after spending a year driving). Since then I've been looking towards functional low profile rigs to sport over my armor, and I would appreciate any advice offered. The two I was considering are listed bellow - both from diamondback. Links are minus the "www"

http://.diamondbacktactical.com/Batt...n-P797C90.aspx

I liked this rig because of the already attached pouches, which seem sufficient towards me (E-4 team member). My two dislikes are the only 4 mag capacity (I guess I could use the "regular" mag pouches to attach to my IBA to makeup for the diff), as well as the lack of custimizing with the MOLLE system. I'm also concerned about the lack of frag pouches.

The other option I was considering is located here, as above, without the "www" in the link

http://.diamondbacktactical.com/Batt...-P2933C90.aspx

I love how this one has 6 mag pouches (+1 in the weapon) and the MOLLE versitility, but I'm concerned that as an E-4 I can't afford additional pouches and such that I need to make it what I need.

Once again, I appreciate any and all advice anyone can offer - espically this is my first trip in the sandbox.
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 19:01   #2
Razor
Quiet Professional

How about a Tactical Tailor MAV (1 or 2-pc, whatever flavor you prefer), and then have the ability to add whatever pouches you need, where you need them? TT also won't break the bank, especially if you find good deals on eBay.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 19:08   #3
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
How about a Tactical Tailor MAV (1 or 2-pc, whatever flavor you prefer), and then have the ability to add whatever pouches you need, where you need them? TT also won't break the bank, especially if you find good deals on eBay.
I like the price of the TT Mav, but I think I'm really looking for something with internal mag pouches. I'm completly inexperienced with convoy ops in the box - during KFOR we just wore a regular LBV that was still a pain to drive with. I've been constantly looking around but havent found what exactly I'm looking for - I would appreciate anyone's advice as to the best mounted setups. Looking for something that helps me retain maneuveribility in a vehicle and still works over armor. I've found a few setups that look ideal, but nothing that seems just perfect. Am I being too critical?

As always, all help is appreciated gentlemen.

SPC Fonz
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:54   #4
Cyclops
Asset

I'd take a look at the ATS M4 Modular Chest Harness. I'm currently using it for PSD work and it has what you're looking for. 4 internal mag pouches and the same amount of PALS as the DBT one. Link below.

http://http://www.atstacticalgear.co...d=ATS-0014!ATS
Old 05-06-2008, 10:01   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I'd take a look at the ATS M4 Modular Chest Harness. I'm currently using it for PSD work and it has what you're looking for. 4 internal mag pouches and the same amount of PALS as the DBT one. Link below.

http://http://www.atstacticalgear.co...d=ATS-0014!ATS
Bad link.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15   #6
Heretic
Quiet Professional

One to many http://. This link should work.
http://www.atstacticalgear.com/istar...d=ATS-0014!ATS
Old 05-08-2008, 21:47   #7
ccrn
Guerrilla

I Hope Im not treading where Im not welcome but...

Honestly if you think the IBA is cumbersome how much more so will it be with a rig over it?

Not sure which country you are going to or what vehicle youll be using but I did quite a bit if convoy ops and route security while in Iraq. The majority of guys in my unit who bought nice chest rigs were not wearing them shortly after arriving in country.

I put 7 mags, IFAK, 203 grenades, chem lights, large knife, wolf hook, carabiner, 6 mag bandoleer, and side plates on my IBA. I could swing it on and off quickly too. Mounting your flare (pouches) right to the vest keeps it closer into the body and less to snag while moving around or dismounting in a hurry.

Good hunting-
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 23:56   #8
linedoc
Asset

I use a HSGI Woosatch overf my armor without a hitch. I keep my gear lo-pro to facilitate working on patients. I have it semi-attached to my gear so I can throw it on just as fast as everyone with the CF of stuff on their vest, plus I have a much mor even distribution of my gear across the webbing and just plain more webbing. The side plate carriers and the front closure of the iba kills my favorite real estate. And since my velcro has already crapped out on pretty much most of my front closure the rig keeps my vest nice, snug, and closed.
Old 10-20-2008, 14:19   #9
Cedo Nulli
Asset

Just to update an older thread...

I've been using the below chest rig for ~8 mths now and I love it. It is the all MOLLE version as I had pouches to already attach and could configure to my liking.

http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?Page...ROD&ProdID=633

Go over some PROS/CONS of it.

PRO:
-Adjustible in many areas to a great fit over IBA...almost no movement when on
-Keeps IBA closed
(I originally had issues with mags on vest and it coming open from the weight pull velcro apart until I began using the chest rig)
-Fits over side SAPI plates carriers, allows full use of front area of vest
-Full MOLLE, you can setup to your preference. Also has velco/mesh storage pockets behind MOLLE webbing
-Heavy-duty construction--I've beat this thing up and it's held up wonderfully
-Still works well when wearing ruck/back pack

Largest PRO for me was there were times I was required to have IBA and only a sidearm. The chest rig allowed me to ditch all my riflemen's kit and reduce the additional weight from mags/ammo from the IBA.

CONS:
-Pain to put on with over DAPS on arms. Luckily, our command ditched the DAPS, and only required the underarms, front/rear/side plates.
-Bit slower if needing to kit up quickly (as opposed to having pouches already on vest)
-Incompatible with a 100oz hydration pouch on back of vest. It's a chest rig, and crosses between your shoulderblades. I was (trying) to roll with a hydration pouch attached to the MOLLE on the back of the IBA, but it made the chest rig sit uncomfortably high and over the rear of the IBA collar. Unless you've got the gucci new seats in your vehicles with the center cut for camelbaks, etc wearing them while mounted is uncomfortable regardless.

Largest CON is definitely the use of the rig over the DAPS. If you are required to wear the over arm DAPS it's a NO GO, unless your partner is going to help you kit up. It got hung up on the few times we had to wear our DAPS, but once it was situated on the shoulders there was no issue.

They sell an assortment of chest rigs, some with ammo pouches built in, link below:

http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?Page...S&Category=243
I will never let my brother out of it's shadow, nor my nation out of it's shelter.
I will die, with my shield before me, facing the enemy.

Last edited by Cedo Nulli; 10-20-2008 at 14:25.
Cedo Nulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33   #10
mac21
SF Candidate

Fonzy,

IMHO, and it is very humble (never been to combat). When it comes to comfort and modularity, for an affordable price. It's pretty hard to beat Tactical Tailor gear. I have a TT mav that i have used for many ranges and a few basic carbine courses back home, cannot think of 1 complaint about it. obviously you cannot put a hydration bladder on it, seeing as how there is no back panel with molle webbing. But this is easily rendered with the addition of an X-harness that adds 2 places for molle on the shoulders and a place to add a bladder in the back, and its only $30.00 extra, not to pricey if you ask me (E-3 talking hear). In addition to the extra molle space, the x-harness adds A TON of comfort by padding the shoulder areas. Now like i said i have never been to combat, but my mav has performed better than could be asked for courses and some plinking around in the woods. I carry 6 magazines, water, a dump bag, a large GP pouch, and a small GP pouch (for my cleaning kit), and still have much much room to spare. And it is TT, so you could probably set it on fire and it would still be g2g. Just some food for thought, happy hunting.

Mac...
mac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 18:06   #11
gagners
Asshat 6

currently using a PPM split front rig (2 more channels than the TT and 1 row higher - 4 vs 3) with the TT X harness. The PPM rig is priced a little lower than the TT rig - although you can't go wrong with TT, IMO.

Tend to get all of my stuff from www.optactical.com. There may be places that sell for a little less, but their customer service has been "Sine Pari"

I recommend to all the guys and we've made some unit purchases from there.
Old 06-20-2011, 14:44   #12
Flashbang12
Quiet Professional

Light kit

Mayflower Tactical makes a comfortable chest rig one can wear with plates or slick. My fox wears it all the time. Down fall on it, only carries 3 mags for 7.62 and 4 mags for 5.56. I personally had just ordered HSGI Warlord V3B, More to follow on my opinion as I try it on up coming CRPs. I don't recommend the Marine Gladiator from TAG because the clips are behind the operators back.
Flashbang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 15:39   #13
wet dog

In South America, our Tm SGT made everyone wear a modified STABO rig to our LBE's., leg straps included, but worn loose. Vest were just to damn hot, and as for ammo, the biggers guys had it easier. When shots were fired, I was willing to remove my shirt buttons to get lower to the ground. Ammo pounches were hip only, 2 on each side, for a total of 12 mags + 1 in weapon, which was always fully loaded with tracers for infil or exfil. If not contact was made on infil, it was removed and kept seperate until exfil. The argument was, although tracers work both directions, the enemy already knew where you were so why not assist the gunship above as to where to fire. 6 guys firing in a similar direction with the use of tracers was pretty good indicator where the bad guys are.

That with butt pack, canteens, (I opted to carry only one), did not leave much room for other things. Still needed the ability to run, jump, roll, move like a jungle cat effortelessly. That left me to carry two claymore bags, (1) for nods and binos, the other for (4) hand grenades, (1) WP smoke, jungle penetrating flares, allowing me to easily drop or hand off to another.

How these young ones do it these days with all the bulk of armor truely amazes me. And that goes for the every day INF soldier as well. Physical fitness will carry one through large loads, I'm really impressed with what the average foot soldier has to carry, 101st, 173rd, 82nd, 3rdID, 25thID, etc.

I hope they have or can get what they need.

Last edited by wet dog; 06-20-2011 at 15:41.
Old 06-20-2011, 16:13   #14
-Jas-
Asset

I use a HSGI Weesatch with 2 added Dbl Mag Pouches and a commander admin panel for the EOD/IED toolset. Secondary Wpn is mandatory and from time to time its at the top of the rig, other times on the legstrap, depends on my mood i guess. 9mm mag pouch is on the upper right side of the Bib. Adds up to 10 (5dbl) 5.56 + 1 Weapon and 1 9mm + 1 Weapon. If I´ll ever need every single bullet in them, something went terribly wrong short before, so lets just hope that day never comes
-Jas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 22:13   #15
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jas- View Post
If I´ll ever need every single bullet in them, something went terribly wrong short before, so lets just hope that day never comes
So true, remain safe.

WD