Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 06-13-2011, 06:52   #1
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Bedford Front Page News

My wife, daughter, and I went up to Bedford Pa. to canoe the Juniata River with a group of people. Bedford is a sleepy little town there in the mountains without much contact with the outside world so it takes very little to make the front page of the local newspaper, which the three of us managed to do. In packing the gear for the trip it seems that the male member of the household could not distinguish between a light gray bag of tent poles and a dark gray bag of tent poles and packed the wrong poles for one of the tents. The family trying to solve the ensuing dilemma without bloodshed was the most exciting thing to happen in Bedford that day and we got our picture right there on the front page of the newspaper.

The final outcome was happy being as the poles were too long and once one section was eliminated they were just right and the tent withstood two rains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sojouorn.jpg (107.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Juniatapart2.jpg (113.9 KB, 90 views)

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Tags

Tags. I got many moving pieces so I tag mine.

D2 used one of the smaller tents for a weekend trip she took one time. I went to use that tent about 1 year later. Being me, of course I set it up in the front yard - just to be sure - where I found out both poles had a number of broken tips. Asked D2 about it and she said she never noticed when she took it down.

As a side note - I checked on line for replacement poles. Cost plus shippig exceeded the cost of running down to Dick's and getting a new tent. So we got a newer, bigger tent for the same amount as the replacement poles.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 19:01   #3
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
My wife, daughter, and I went up to Bedford Pa. to canoe the Juniata River with a group of people. Bedford is a sleepy little town there in the mountains without much contact with the outside world so it takes very little to make the front page of the local newspaper, which the three of us managed to do. In packing the gear for the trip it seems that the male member of the household could not distinguish between a light gray bag of tent poles and a dark gray bag of tent poles and packed the wrong poles for one of the tents. The family trying to solve the ensuing dilemma without bloodshed was the most exciting thing to happen in Bedford that day and we got our picture right there on the front page of the newspaper.

The final outcome was happy being as the poles were too long and once one section was eliminated they were just right and the tent withstood two rains.
Haha I don't know if I should take that as an insult or a compliment

Glad you could enjoy some of what my hometown has to offer, wish I would have known would have been nice to meet a member of this forum.

It definitely doesn't take much to make the paper around here.
Old 06-13-2011, 19:26   #4
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Given what makes the front page in most other locations...I think it is compliment that it doesn't take much to make the front page in the Gazette. Who needs to know more than how the races turned out Friday night...or when OIP has a special

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 21:16   #5
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Given what makes the front page in most other locations...I think it is compliment that it doesn't take much to make the front page in the Gazette. Who needs to know more than how the races turned out Friday night...or when OIP has a special
I see you are familiar as well however you forgot to mention the most important piece of info here....the dairy queen.

You must have lived in "Befert" to know all that.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40   #6
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

From the pictures in the paper, it kinda reminds me of Green Ridge State Forest in MD. By the way, is that mock 1800's town still in Bedford ( I went when I was a kid )??

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:02   #7
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
From the pictures in the paper, it kinda reminds me of Green Ridge State Forest in MD. By the way, is that mock 1800's town still in Bedford ( I went when I was a kid )??
Old Bedford village is still operational. As is the old Ft. Bedford museum.
Old 09-09-2011, 19:09   #8
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Some of the structures are period...but relocated to the site. Plenty going on through the year if you wander up from Muzzleloading shows to re-enactments.

The visitor's bureau now has a iPod download for the walking tour as well...(here)

Flight 93 Memorial is right down Rte 30...

Fall foliage festival upcoming in October...

River is extremely high right now...

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41   #9
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Some of the structures are period...but relocated to the site. Plenty going on through the year if you wander up from Muzzleloading shows to re-enactments.

The visitor's bureau now has a iPod download for the walking tour as well...(here)

Flight 93 Memorial is right down Rte 30...

Fall foliage festival upcoming in October...

River is extremely high right now...
Thank you for the information! Now that I know it's all still there, I'll be taking my son when I get back CONUS next year . I was unaware of the other activities though. Sounds like fun!

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote