Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 05-31-2011, 16:10   #31
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Got this in the mail today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLYROD.JPG (167.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 05-31-2011, 16:20   #32
Patriot007
Guerrilla

Plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Got this in the mail today
Very nice, looks like you're ready for some bass. Good luck, show us how it goes. Don't forget plan B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack and Reel.jpg (70.2 KB, 46 views)
Patriot007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 17:55   #33
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Fly Fishing and Swapping Flies

I only can speak about trout with flies and fly rods.

Trout flies are going to vary from #20 midges down to about #6 streamers. Like Eric, I tie flies that work in my area, plus old standards like the hare's ear nymph 12-16 that works just about anywhere trout are. Add some pheasant tails (PT's) in size 14-16, prince nymphs 12-16 (bead heads,too), San Juan Worm #14- 16 or so plus a # 20 gray midge dropper for early season western midge sight fishing. I have caught more trout on a #12 gray hare's ear weighted then any fly. Add a long tail march brown nymph in the east, plus as Eric stated terrestials and micro midges. From crane fly larvae, to other larva the San Juan worm in red, brown and tan does work. Scuds and sowbugs are a must on tailwaters where weeds/vegetation exist. Tailing trout are after scuds. I'd add some streamers for early season like clousers. You will have hatches and those will be known locally. Keep some damsel and dragon fly nymphs and flies on hand. Damsels and dragons seem to be around all bodies of fresh water. Keep a few hoppers, beetles, and ants around. Yes, woolly buggers catch trout. Have stone fly nymphs in correct size where there are Stone flies. There are large #4-6's in the Smokies. A gray weighted in #12 seems to fool brookies.

Tight lines

An HMH Spartan is a fine vise.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 18:17   #34
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot007 View Post
Very nice, looks like you're ready for some bass. Good luck, show us how it goes. Don't forget plan B.
Need a much bigger bottle bro
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 18:32   #35
Patriot007
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Need a much bigger bottle bro
Simply a better use of the floatant poach on my vest.

I second the scuds for tailwater and vegetation. Last time out when nothing was working scuds worked like a charm on the browns in the weeds. A scud with flashy backing in muddier water worked particularly well.
Patriot007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12   #36
wet dog

Been hitting the Uintas and Wind River country already. Still a lot of snow, run off makes for cloudy rough water, fish are skiddish and hole- ing.

Run off is pushing ants, beattles, other terrestials into feeding spots. Traditional flies of Elk hair caddis, Blue winged dunns, and midges will have to wait.

I did take 9 one day, 13 the next week, but only 2 last night, (not really, never netted them, a long distance release when I saw they were small).

Last week I caught the same fish three times. I looked at him and said, "if you come back again, I'm taking you home." He did, and was served with lemmon juice and crushed black pepper.
Old 06-28-2011, 22:58   #37
wet dog

Bump

Sir,
Spoke with a friend who had plans to fish this week in MT (missouri river) but he had to cancel due to "epic" flooding. It seems you have fared better. What areas would you suggest I look at in WY if you were to suggest.....?

Thanks.

Received a nice note today, thought I'd post for others as well.

The Laramie area, Medicine Bow, Hannah, Casper areas are good. Cody is reporting good fishing, as well as Yellowstone, south into the Star Valley, Afton, WY or the Flaming Gorge Green River.

Water is high everywhere, be safe. I perfer the smaller streams, trout, remote places. Having said all that. I'd start with Lander, WY - venture west either by foot, (ruck sack) or horse back. These trails are not for the faint of heart. Be prepared for stepping high over fallen trees, tough stream crossings, buck brush, thick wild places. The glacier fields are beautiful, with steep high rising rocks holding any direct sunshine at bay.

Late July - through mid September is the best. One day, you'll be wearing T-shirts, the next, 6 inches of snow.

If you like to camp and cook, you gotta ruck with a large skillet w/lid, NLT 14".

Eggs, bacon, trout, whiskey, and not in that order. Wild mushrooms for bisque soup are plentiful, be sure to properly identify.

Enjoy, Wet Dog

http://landerwyoming.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanto/2778418416/

Last edited by wet dog; 06-28-2011 at 23:22.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19   #38
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot007 View Post
Don't forget plan B.
Is that a 18wt reel??
or a mini-plan B??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 18:03   #39
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Wind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Been hitting the Uintas and Wind River country already. Still a lot of snow, run off makes for cloudy rough water, fish are skiddish and hole- ing.

Run off is pushing ants, beattles, other terrestials into feeding spots. Traditional flies of Elk hair caddis, Blue winged dunns, and midges will have to wait.

I did take 9 one day, 13 the next week, but only 2 last night, (not really, never netted them, a long distance release when I saw they were small).

Last week I caught the same fish three times. I looked at him and said, "if you come back again, I'm taking you home." He did, and was served with lemmon juice and crushed black pepper.
You up in the range? Damn, you have to know some folks to fish there. Smiling.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 20:56   #40
wet dog

Since I got my camera to work once more, thought I'd post a few shots.

I wear a Filson winter vest. Two main compartments, with little pockets, and large area back pack. I keep it light enough to still enjoy the hike. If I were to start carrying more, I just opt for a Alice Large Ruck Sack and LBE carrying beer rather then M16 mags.

Flies to many to count.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010034.JPG (66.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1010035.JPG (48.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1010036.JPG (46.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-29-2011, 21:12   #41
wet dog

Flies, kits and stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010029.JPG (69.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1010030.JPG (69.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1010031.JPG (66.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1010032.JPG (69.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1010033.JPG (64.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-29-2011, 21:16   #42
wet dog

Saddle leather case, Bamboo 8.5ft, 4-5 wght, three piece, (1) extra tip, home made reel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010037.JPG (61.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1010038.JPG (66.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1010039.JPG (69.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by wet dog; 06-29-2011 at 21:18.
Old 07-03-2011, 19:15   #43
Infantry44
Quiet Professional

Campbell Trout?

Anyone fish the trout streams on FTCKY? Looking like I might have some time to get out on the water this fall, wouldn't mind hitting the water with someone who knew the area.

-Albert Einstein
Infantry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 20:38   #44
wet dog

Forgot to post last months catch, my bad. Expecting snow to begin flying in the coming weeks. Its nice to finishing summer with a win. Perfect day, Prince Nimphs, a few Bill Harsey hoppers, Green Olive Dunns. Took one on San Juan worm. Fat fish, even the small ones failed weight limits. Do you suspect they know something about this years coming winter?

WD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110809-00012.jpg (89.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51   #45
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Forgot to post last months catch, my bad. Expecting snow to begin flying in the coming weeks. Its nice to finishing summer with a win. Perfect day, Prince Nimphs, a few Bill Harsey hoppers, Green Olive Dunns. Took one on San Juan worm. Fat fish, even the small ones failed weight limits. Do you suspect they know something about this years coming winter?

WD
Oh sure, go ahead a rub it in. I never got to do any casting before I deployed back in June. What with all that late and heavy wet weather we had. The Poudre, Colorado, Frying Pan, N. Platte, and Green were all frothing chocolate milk as late as August before they started clearing up. Now you're telling me that I get to come home in time for more impending wet weather to make the rivers suck once more.

But at least it will be cool and green. I'm going to try and hit the Poudre and see if there are any decent Cutthroats left up in Long Draw Res before I go in for surgery.

Nice catch by the way.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 09-06-2011 at 02:56.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote