Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 07-18-2008, 03:02   #1
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb SWAT-Tourniquet

I have not had a chance to use/test this however, I thought some may not be aware of this product.

Quote:
The SWAT-Tourniquet is a unique and multipurpose dressing. Its name provides a description for usage Stretch, Wrap, and Tuck, but also the communities for whom it was developed - military and civilian Special Weapons and Tactics teams. These teams operate in an environment that has a high incidence of penetrating trauma, and most (two-thirds) of preventable deaths in the operational environment are from extremity bleeding.

The SWAT-Tourniquet allows a more rapid means to control extremity bleeding and allows application higher into the groin and axilla than other tourniquets. Its ease of application is one of its greatest benefits; individuals can effectively apply it in seconds with little to no prior training. At a third of the cost and weight of other combat used tourniquets, this tourniquet should find its way forward with every tactical operator.
www.swattourniquet.com

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37   #2
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

I just requested some to T&E...I test all TQ's in our vascular lab with duplex and color flow doppler as well as bring them to our Tac-Med classes and let the > 100 students play with them and the 7 others we have received.
I will post some info if I receive them from the company.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 22:28   #3
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Roger!

If you are ever looking to do a stint/training in an Iraqi hospital, give me a holler. Using "field expedient" devices shouldn't be a problem either...it ain't like they have; the latest and/or greatest equipment where I'm at.

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 18:12   #4
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

I've been emailing the owner/developer of this TQ.....good concept: multi-use, compact, extremely light weight. He is sending me a few to T&E.....stay tuned.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
Old 08-02-2008, 19:18   #5
adal
Quiet Professional

adal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:39   #6
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

finally put them to the test. The company was kind enough to send me samples to play with and here is the review:

DISCLAIMER:I am solely responsible for this review, the opinions are my own based on my use of the product, I don't represent any tactical equipment company, etc.

On to the review......
The SWAT-T tactical tourniquet is an 'esmark' like compliant (elastic) wrap that stretches with perfect memory to return to it's baseline length.

I first used it on my right upper arm over bare skin to see if I could do it one handed and gain the 'tightness' needed for it to act as a tourniquet, not just a bandage holder. It was easy to apply although the first and second revolution around my arm was not as tight as you want, it quickly grabbed itself with friction and I tightened it and 'tucked' the end under a layer to completely shut off flow to my radial and ulnar arteries. This was checked with a color flow doppler/duplex ultrasound machine in our vascular lab in our hospital. As I released it, flow was restored after 2-3 revolutions back around my arm, releasing the tourniquet effect. There was no pinching of my skin or discomfort at all. NOTE: it took me about 20 seconds to stretch/wrap/tuck it into place to occlude the vessel. May speed up with experience.

Next: did upper and lower leg positions....same thing except using 2 hands, I could occlude flow by color doppler in 8-9 seconds.....

CONCLUSIONS: it performs as advertised with no discomfort unlike what most other tourniquets cause when tightened. It weighs almost about the same as a CAT, takes up about the same space. I am quicker 1 handed with a MAT as well as 2 handed vs this one but the price of $8.50 beats everything out there. I tried my best to break it while stretching it around my leg....no way, not unless there is something like glass/shapnel around to snag it.

It truly is multipurpose: pressure dressing/tourniquet, anywhere an elastic bandage can be utilized. I give it 4.99 stars out of 5.0.....nothing is ever perfect!!
It has my endorsement for what ever that's worth. Next stop is our Tac-Med class in Oct. to be tortured by EMS, docs, PA's, LEO's....that will but it through it's paces.

ss

Old 08-20-2008, 13:48   #7
adal
Quiet Professional

SS,
Thanks for the update. I'll pass it on to our tac guys up here to see if they'd like to try it. Looking forward to more tests/reviews.
adal
adal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 19:39   #8
Air.177
Quiet Professional

SS: So you like this one better than the CAT?

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:59   #9
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Blake,
Far superior to the CAT. The CAT is not 'intuitive' it is prone to operator failure, doesn't hold well with sand in the velcro, I have torn off a few tension bars (windlass). It is light weight but it is not multipurpose.

ss

Last edited by swatsurgeon; 08-21-2008 at 10:21.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:57   #10
52bravo
Auxiliary

IDF have use this sort of TQ for years - it works well i have use some times.

here we use the esmarch bandage - it is the same as the swat tq

the 4y IDF TQ from j.traume tells more.
If we are going to ask one of our combat medics to undertake a medical treatment in the middle of a firefight, then we need to be as sure as possible that the benefit resulting from this treatment is going to be worth the risk.
52bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 21:16   #11
crash
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52bravo View Post
IDF have use this sort of TQ for years - it works well i have use some times.

here we use the esmarch bandage - it is the same as the swat tq

the 4y IDF TQ from j.traume tells more.
Im supprised I haven't seen these on here before, I was talking to an Isreali medic awhile back and he told me about using these; but they applied it diffrently. I like their method better than the tuck.

This is how he said they used them:
they place about 3 inches of the band parralel to the arm, then fold the band over itself so its perpandicular to the arm, then wrap it around tightly until bleeding has stopped then tie the end to the first 3 inches.

Very effective, and cheap......or free, I don't know if they still do but over seas the MWR and stuff used to hand out those elastic exercise bands, pretty much the same thing and its free.

Last edited by crash; 09-01-2008 at 21:21. Reason: spelling.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 16:14   #12
LeakyBandage
Asset

I attended a class last week where the retired PJ who is a part of the SWAT-T development team was an instructor. He gave me and my guys a SWAT-T to check out. I like the fact that it is effective as a supportive wrap and an improvised pressure dressing in addition to being a good tourniquet. It is a little heavier than a CAT but it packs in a bit smaller space.
LeakyBandage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 18:26   #13
Lawless

Is it as effective as a ratchet strap on leg wounds. I admit the CAT is the only one I tried on a leg wound and it slowed but didnt stop the bleeding. Ratchet straps normally used for tie-downs were the only thing to stop it completely.

Last edited by Lawless; 10-25-2008 at 18:42.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:04   #14
Cass100199
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
Is it as effective as a ratchet strap on leg wounds. I admit the CAT is the only one I tried on a leg wound and it slowed but didnt stop the bleeding. Ratchet straps normally used for tie-downs were the only thing to stop it completely.

The actual ratchet tourniquet is the most effective tourniquet I've seen for lower extremity bleeding.
Cass100199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 20:54   #15
Dozer523
BANNED USER

A picture might help. "google-fu" The first link has a good picture and narative. It also has a really cool picture. Click the picture and you get a link to a bunch of "History of the National Gaurd" picture/narratives that is really good. The second site has links to instructional video. Oh it's Vet owned -- former PJ. What's the NSN? The boys are off to see Uncle Stan in a month.

http://swattourniquet.com/

http://swattourniquet.com/videos.html

Last edited by Dozer523; 11-22-2008 at 21:08.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote