Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 08-03-2010, 17:22   #1
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Propagation Alert: Will it hit Earth?

http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/2010/0...hit-earth.html

bmt
Old 08-03-2010, 18:07   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post
I think I read where Ben Franklin observed something similar to this while he was doing his kite experiments,,, Knocked his WII out for a week...

Seriously, Is this capable of doing EMD damage to electronics on the ground or permanent satellite damage or just temporary sat communication interruptions????

Quote:
High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. Radio communications by way of the ionosphere may become degraded soon after the CME arrives, and the degraded conditions may last for up to three days.
Do we still bounce transmissions off the ionosphere?? My old man DX'd. When he pass away we got rid of SQL cards from all over the World.

Inquiring minds want to know???

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 08-03-2010 at 19:44.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 18:35   #3
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Just finished "One Second After" on an Island served only by Boat and Air, now a solar storm...hmmmm.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 19:38   #4
albeham
Quiet Professional

Living here in MD, I might see it.. The End is Near!!!!

AL
Old 08-03-2010, 20:37   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Well, unless I missed something in class, at least we are not on the side of the Earth getting the direct hit now.

I understand that it wraps, somewhat, but that beats being in the line of fire.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 20:50   #6
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
The Sun is very interesting in that to the naked eye, it just looks like a big bright globe just sitting in space, minding its own business, however when seen through special equipment, what looks like a peaceful ball turns into a raging monster, spewing all sorts of stuff into space.
The Sun sounds like a Democrat.

Expect gore to tell obama to blame President Bush if anything bad happens.

Joking aside, 2012 is the next predicted Solar Flare Cycle. If I recall correctly, the last prediction was for a rather quiet cycle. Does this event hold any predictave value for the 2012 Solar cycle?

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:31   #7
2018commo
Quiet Professional

http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/2010/0...hit-earth.html

"The latest estimates are that the plasma will arrive in four waves, one at 3 a.m. Wednesday, one at 1 p.m. Wednesday, one at 8 p.m. Wednesday, and one at 2 a.m. Thursday, said David Aguilar, a spokesman for the Harvard-Smithsonian center.

There is a three-hour window of uncertainty both before and after those target times, he said, because the speed of the waves is not constant.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ls-sun-waking/

"The solar particles also could affect satellites, though scientists think that possibility is remote. Orbital Sciences Corp. believe a similar blast may have knocked its Galaxy 15 satellite permanently out of action this year.

This type of solar event has both government officials and satellite manufacturers worrying.

NASA scientists warned recently that high-energy electric pulses from the sun could cripple our electrical grid for years, causing billions in damages. In fact, the House is so concerned that the Energy and Commerce committee voted unanimously to approve a bill allocating $100 million to protect the energy grid from this rare but potentially devastating occurrence."

Well I have lights, internet and cell coverage, should have brought along a six meter rig. Thanks to TR and the others who recomended "One Second After", I have some work to do on my PACE after vacation.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00   #8
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
The Sun sounds like a Democrat.
...or an ex-wife....

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01   #9
mugwump
Area Commander

This coronal mass ejection (CME) should be benign. A very large one, on par with what NASA infers hit the Earth in 1859, would bathe the entire planet in a multi-megavolt/m EMP (say 5000k V/m) wave that lasts for several minutes. The Starfish Prime space burst that blew out streetlamps hundreds of miles away in Hawaii was about 5.6k V/m. Standard modern warheads produce approximately 50k V/m and it's speculated the we and the Russians have EMP bombs that produce 1000-2000k V/m, but the pulse lasts for miliseconds, not the multiple minutes of a large CME wavefront.

A 5000k V/m CME would fry every transformer and electrical component in the world. For all intents and purposes, no more transportation, communications, or agriculture. I've seen models that show that world population would crash to less than 50-100 million souls. This is not something I prepare for btw.

And people wonder why SETI doesn't hear anything. The universe is a dangerous neighborhood.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote