Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 03-23-2013, 19:18   #1
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Modified Uniforms

Alrighty guys I'm looking for some info on your modified uniforms. As for the forum, I found 2 references in one thread on the forum (http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...niforms&page=2) with a little info on the why. Looking at the BDU pattern, it is clear why they were modified and why big Army adopted the style for the ACU.

What I am looking for is at what level were these modifications made? Were they 'standardized' by the unit or group? Were they done to a personal preference?

What sparked this is I got thee modified BDU's this weekend, the first I've gotten, and I kind of wanted some info direct from the source. I'll include some pics for reference.

#1 - 2003 manufacture date
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...psd99d4045.jpg

#2 - 1993 manufacture date
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...ps09f421a1.jpg

#3 1993 manufacture date
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d982ec0.jpg

With respect,

Red
RedLegGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 20:14   #2
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

I made a post or two in there. We modified ours, on mainly a Team by Team decision, but most of us all had the "Lower Pockets" on the Shirt/Blouse/Jacket or whatever, relocated to the upper outside of the sleeve by the shoulder. When we wore our gear, the Pockets on the lower front were TOTALLY useless!!

As I said before, we (Team by Team) would adjust our cammo for each mission depending on what the AO that we were inserting into looked like. We would make this decision after we made our "Overflights" on the Photo Recons. But, as I stated before, in Laos, after 30 min. on the ground you would look like whatever you were into!!!

Later
Martin
Old 03-23-2013, 20:46   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I've seen teams modify their gear all the time. Where do you think the leg holsters, A7A strap belts, jungle hats with glitter tape sewn in, rucks with better shoulder straps, rucks with claymore bags sewn on, we modify or make things for our missions.

The mods we do are endless and the ones you mention are the ones you can see.....
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 21:17   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I've seen teams modify their gear all the time. Where do you think the leg holsters, A7A strap belts, jungle hats with glitter tape sewn in, rucks with better shoulder straps, rucks with claymore bags sewn on, we modify or make things for our missions.

The mods we do are endless and the ones you mention are the ones you can see.....
Exactly! The mission comes first...and whatever it takes to accomplish that task based on experience combined with personal preference. It works.
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 21:34   #5
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
I made a post or two in there. We modified ours, on mainly a Team by Team decision, but most of us all had the "Lower Pockets" on the Shirt/Blouse/Jacket or whatever, relocated to the upper outside of the sleeve by the shoulder. When we wore our gear, the Pockets on the lower front were TOTALLY useless!!
That's what I tend to see, and for the reasons you've said. I've got a couple in DCU with the exact same mods, using the moved pocket design. Some with velcro, some without.

Are you guys familiar with the Close Combat Uniform (CU/CCU)? It was the first attempt to standardize the mods and it was issued to 2ID then 25th ID for limited use in 03/04 for 'mass' testing. I also learned from my former battery commander who was an FSO for one of the groups in A-stan, that he got issued a set as well (http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3df9d15a.jpg)

What I find really interesting is that you guys make the big Army thing logically about equipment and designs.
Old 03-23-2013, 21:42   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional

Personal preference - we didn't use velcro for anything - that noise carries a long ways...especially at night.

Like the 'beep' on an electric watch - we didn't use those, either.

Just sayin'...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 03-23-2013, 21:45   #7
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Personal preference - we didn't use velcro for anything - that noise carries a long ways...especially at night.

Just sayin'...

Richard
I always thought the same thing about the switch to velcro. namtapes, etc makes sense because you're not taking those off constantly. But the sleeve pockets (which on the CCU were snaps), just didn't make sense as you access that quite a lot (from personal experience as well).
Old 03-23-2013, 21:48   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

We always used buttons - quiet, always worked, could be easily repaired.

No snaps, no zippers, no velcro.

Richard

Old 03-23-2013, 21:51   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Just sayin'...

Richard
Come on Richard, velcro was not even invented when you were in the army. You told me how you hated carrying the breech loaders...
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 21:59   #10
koz
Quiet Professional

One of the best tools in the deployment box was a sewing machine.
Fix uniforms, modify in-country issed uniforms, modify kit, make gaiters, make slings, etc....
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 21:59   #11
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Come on Richard, velcro was not even invented when you were in the army. You told me how you hated carrying the breech loaders...
Yeah, but COL Berdan was ahead of his time by making us carry those Sharps rifles.

Richard

Old 03-23-2013, 22:11   #12
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Quote:
And Richard came in a year after I did ... he didn't have to work with mules like I did! LOL!

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 22:13   #13
Sdiver
Area Commander

Velcro has come a long way

If you're worried about velcro, here's a video that some fella made to show how to open a velcro pouch under tactical conditions ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk

It works.
I didn't hear the velcro on that pouch at all.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 23:57   #14
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
If you're worried about velcro, here's a video that some fella made to show how to open a velcro pouch under tactical conditions ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk

It works.
I didn't hear the velcro on that pouch at all.
I didn't hear it either
Old 03-30-2013, 23:13   #15
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

As usual, thank you for your responses on this topic it has been very informative.

Red