Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 10-22-2011, 20:49   #1
JustaSupportGuy
Asset

Appalachian Trail - Thru Hiking ME to GA

Upon completion of a upcoming rotation to ASTAN, I will be parting ways with the Army. My next big adventure will be taking me from Maine to Georgia on the Appalachian Trail. This is an estimated 167 day trip, which I hope to cut down to 150 with any luck.

I'm a active hiker, but only on weekends. I need some advice from anyone who has done long distance hikes. Any suggestions on gear such as boots, tent, pack... whatever advice you have would be helpful.

I have read many articles on this subject but I'm looking to get opinions from others that can explain their reasoning for the choice of gear they use.

Thanks in advance for your input. Also the time-frame for this hike will be as follows: Leaving Maine in the first week of June and arriving in Georgia mid-late October.
Old 11-06-2011, 16:15   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Just did a section this past weekend

Just did a 24 mile section this past weekend - Dennis Cove to Hwy 19E.

I'll admit, Saturday kicked my butt.

The trail is well marked and easy to stay on - but intersections to side trails are not. The leaves on the side trails are not mashed down right now so it's easy to blow past a tree with a small blue mark. The Thru Hiker's Companion is well worth the money. Pre plan, employ jump boxes for changing out gear if need be - Oh, heck read the book

Saw three southbound thru hikers this weekend. They were averaging 25 miles a day and had about 400 miles to go. Man, they moved like they had no ruck on their back at all. I asked "Pinch" about the cold weather. He said he'd picked up his cold weather gear a while back - Dude, the guys pack was no bigger than an assault pack. Damn, where was he hiding everything?

The A/T ain't humpin' a large ALICE pack. Quality, lightweight gear - and get in shape.

Good luck.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

The best book I have read on preparing for the Appalachian Trail is "A Walk in the Wood's" by Bill Bryson....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 14:08   #4
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

In the W Va and Md section, the trail is well marked and water and huts are available. On weekends during the summer the trail will be well populated.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 18:15   #5
JoeEOD
Asset

Vermont AT

I live in central Vermont near the AT. Give me a heads up on your schedule and I can meet you for a re-supply drop or a hot shower.

There is no problem that can’t be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.
JoeEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 18:40   #6
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEOD View Post
I live in central Vermont near the AT. Give me a heads up on your schedule and I can meet you for a re-supply drop or a hot shower.
Hopefully you won't get offended if he turns you down on the offer to meet him for a hot shower.

In all seriousness - one of the things I've come to appreciate about this forum is the willingness of members to help each other both online and in person.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote