Old 12-15-2013, 16:36   #1
Unapologetic Soldier
SF Candidate

Passing IUW

I'm about tell you what you already know; even after reading this 40% of you won't do what you know is right, and consequently you will fail IUW.

There is no magic answer or hidden secert to uncover. Go train your ass off, eat right, stay out of the night life and hydrate. If you do this you will pass IUW with flying colors. I saw a lot of bright and physically fit guys who didn't do what they knew they should of and they washed out.

It's no secret here is what you will be tested on:

-APFT
(17-21 age bracket) Must score an over all 270 with a minimum of 90% in each event.
-Five mile run
forty minutes or less
-Rope climb
30 foot rope climb
-Pull up test
must complete seven pull ups (dead hang)
-Swim test
full uniform 50 meters
-12 mile ruck
Ruck weight 45 LBS dry, must complete in 3 hours or less
-Land Navigation
Must find 5/5 first day to receive a go or 7/10 between day one and day two. You will be give ten hours to complete the course.

Some of you are already saying whatever no big deal I'm the man, blah blah blah...
When I started IUW we had 13 guys in our squad at the end of all our gates we had five left. All the guys who failed where the man too. Here are some examples of guys failing out.

Didn't eat before the 12 mile, failed because legs cramped up.
Didn't hydrate before 5 mile run, almost passed out due to dehydration.
Didn't train hard enough, ran out of gas on hour eight of the land navigation course.
Didn't test themselves prior to AFPT, just assumed they where good, failed push ups.
Didn't work on pull ups' assumed they where a bad ass, faild because of dead hang.

Bottom line, train your ass off and stay dedicated to the course and you'll be fine. Anything short of that and you'll be out of the course.
Old 12-15-2013, 19:59   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Well said.

And dedicate yourself totally to succeeding.

No half-measures.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 21:44   #3
Jersey Dirtbag
SF Candidate

Location: Spring Lake, NC. Returning to the NYC area after this odyssey.
Everything above is good stuff. I'll add a note about the 12-miler. I highly recommend doing a full dress rehearsal prior to the event and make certain you are under 2:45. I did a diagnostic 12-miler on my own (on a hilly, albeit paved, course) in 2:41 about four weeks before the record event and I was confident. However, for whatever reason, I seriously sucked ass and I barely passed with at 2:57. Others' experiences were similar; in fact, there were quite a few folks behind me (not counting those who failed) and I think the majority of the class had times greater than 2:50. There is nothing particularly hard about the course they use but just make sure you make room for that margin of error/performance or you'll be out of the game.

Regarding land navigation, apparently this has to be stated explicitly: BRING A FREAKING MAP CASE AND TIE IT DOWN. Stuffing a map into a ziploc bag is the wrong answer. That is a recipe for losing your map while hacking through heavy vegetation. I have no idea how people manage to screw up this simple stuff, but it happens.

edit: When you do the 12-miler you will step off with six quarts of water, your FLC, and a dummy weapon. Add that all up and it's around 70 lbs. Plan and train accordingly.

Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; 12-15-2013 at 21:49.
Jersey Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 22:26   #4
18C4V
Quiet Professional

I haven't had a new guy on my team for a while so what the heck is IUW?
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:29   #5
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

I'm retired and have the same question. Appears to be the first week of selection?

"nobody understands Thomas except Thomas," Rudyard Kipling, Soldiers Three
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:09   #6
Jersey Dirtbag
SF Candidate

Location: Spring Lake, NC. Returning to the NYC area after this odyssey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
I haven't had a new guy on my team for a while so what the heck is IUW?
It's phase 1 of the Q (Introduction to Unconventional Warfare).
Jersey Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 17:26   #7
Unapologetic Soldier
SF Candidate

What is IUW?

Introduction to Unconventional Warfare (IUW) is the first phase of SFQC. The title of the course is deceiving; you don't really end up learning much about UW in IUW.

The course is six weeks long, you start by completing a packet on yourself (mostly admin data). Once complete you'll go into your gates (see orginal post), then your tasked out to Robin Sage acting as a guerrilla for the SF students going through Robin Sage. After that you'll receive briefings on everything from SF attributes, nutrition, different types of UW, chaplain's briefing, FRG......... Then you go onto your next phase of training.

I'm not sure how long ago IUW was introduced into the pipe line, somewhere around two to maybe three years ago.
Old 12-16-2013, 19:26   #8
Blueboy
Quiet Professional

IUW is foreign to me as well.

It is, I am assuming, a gut check designed to ensure that Soldiers already selected at SFAS are ready to begin the Q-Course. Am I tracking?
"I do not know what is true. I do not know the meaning of the universe. But in the midst of doubt, in the collapse of creeds, there is one thing I do not doubt...and that is that the faith is true and adorable which leads a soldier to throw away his life in obedience to a blindly accepted duty, in a cause he little understands, in a plan of campaign of which he has little notion, under tactics of which he does not see the use."

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 16:27   #9
Unapologetic Soldier
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
IUW is foreign to me as well.

It is, I am assuming, a gut check designed to ensure that Soldiers already selected at SFAS are ready to begin the Q-Course. Am I tracking?
Your right on track.
Old 12-18-2013, 16:45   #10
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Sounds like a good way to weed out the losers.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:15   #11
Blueboy
Quiet Professional

I agree. For some Soldiers, a lot of time passes between SFAS and beginning the SFQC. This additional gate keeps them focused.
"I do not know what is true. I do not know the meaning of the universe. But in the midst of doubt, in the collapse of creeds, there is one thing I do not doubt...and that is that the faith is true and adorable which leads a soldier to throw away his life in obedience to a blindly accepted duty, in a cause he little understands, in a plan of campaign of which he has little notion, under tactics of which he does not see the use."

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:48   #12
head
Quiet Professional

IUW sounds like a good annual event for the teams, IMO.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:50   #13
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by head View Post
IUW sounds like a good annual event for the teams, IMO.
Great idea.....not! Those who have been in SF more than a few years will remember the annual "certification" or "validation" mandated by SF Command back in the late 80s / early 90s.

Real fun that was.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:57   #14
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Great idea.....not! Those who have been in SF more than a few years will remember the annual "certification" or "validation" mandated by SF Command back in the late 80s / early 90s.

Real fun that was.
I didn't say anything about mandating from higher. You could even tailor standards for those who are old / broke.

It sounds fun to me.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:38   #15
Pete
Quiet Professional

Back when

Back when Robin Sage was a post support detail it was one of the more fun gigs to get if you were SF.

Half our A Team ended up in the same G Band one time. Kinda' hard on the Student Team and exposed the weak map and compass work of more than one of them.

Everything is good training and woods time is never lost but I think ......
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote