Old 06-23-2007, 12:19   #1
82ndAA
Asset

ABU

Any thoughts on the Airforce's new cammo, the ABU?
82ndAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:23   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

They suck just like the ACU's...

Changing the pattern doesnt make them blend in any better...

They are also made of a heavier weight material then the winter BDU's.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08   #3
82ndAA
Asset

That bad, eh?

I've seen them in person at the local AF base on display next to ACUs. They are definitely a darker shade than the ACUs, and the boots are not tan, but rather a subdued bluish grey.

I wonder why the decision for such a pattern. Was it supposedly practical application research? Or just something to make the AF boys look cooler?

I’m in the National Guard. I would like to see the Army switch to something all around better personally.
82ndAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 17:21   #4
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

ABU

Because we want to look unique! Different! Cool!

I have no idea why we changed. I thought that everyone being on the same page with the BDU was a good idea. If I went to any base, I could buy uniforms. Not anymore.

My Wing CO had the new ones. They are heavier, like a winter weight BDU, so I bet that will suck in the Box. I didn't compare them directly to the ACU, but I thought they looked similiar. I think besides the pattern, the AF uniform had another color in it, Slate Blue.

I think the main complaint is that after the AF flushed those nasty blue Tiger Stripes, they asked for input from the troops. Most asked for sleeve pockets and to get rid of the sleeve stripes. Neither was done. In fact, I think the stripes are bigger than what we are wearing on our BDUs now.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:58   #5
PRC117F
Asset

The new ABU was designed specifically to have a "unique" USAF field uniform, plain and simple. None of the SOF recommendations that were passed on to the Air Force Uniform Board (AFUB) were incorporated in the final design. My troops that are using the ABU condemn them with earnest. Supposedly there's a new lightweight version in the works.
PRC117F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 16:53   #6
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC117F View Post
My troops that are using the ABU condemn them with earnest. Supposedly there's a new lightweight version in the works.
PRC117F:

What are some of their complaints? The ones I'm reading about are that the first bunch had a real problem with colors. The pants and jackets were way off!! Also, they said they are pretty hot and heavy and the "shamrock" boots aren't making any friends, either.
Old 10-05-2007, 17:45   #7
PRC117F
Asset

Thumbs down

1. There's a map pocket on the inside of the blouse. How do I access it while wearing body armor?
2. No Arm pockets/flaps. During the testing (I served on the AF Uniform Board for two years) we in SOF made numerous recommendations on the pockets/flaps. They liked the idea and advised that it would be adopted. Arm pockets were ruled out for the ABU’s blouse, but the Air Force contradicted itself by adding them to the APEC (all-purpose environmental coat AKA GoreTex Jacket). Why would we need them on the coat if we don’t need them on the uniform itself?
3. No underarm air vent/holes. Once again, numerous recommendations made with regard to this, and no vent/holes to relieve excess perspiration.
4. The blue-gray tiger-stripe design is not condusive to field-wear. It looks like nobody wanted to listen to the camouflage experts. The Air Force was singularly interested in standing out as Air Force.
5. Material too thick for hot climes.
PRC117F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 19:09   #8
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

ABU...USAF FIELD UNIFORM:

Follow the MONEY,I will bet that some politican or General officer in the decision making process has ties to the primary contractor who is making the new uniforms.Regards, tom kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 19:24   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I am not so sure about that.

I think that they gave the Air Force leadership what they wanted, which is more of a style, morale, and service identity statement.

Given the fact that the AF leadership is almost all fighter pilots, that shows what they think is important in a uniform.

The curious thing to me is the role of the AF SNCOs in this. Of course, given the ACU, you could ask the same question about the Army.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 19:52   #10
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

ABU

You're right, TR. The AF was looking for a style, morale and a service identity statement. Initially, when they said they were moving away from the BDU, the new uniform would NOT be used for deployments or contingencies. It was to be a home station uniform only.

When they came out with that abortion of a blue tiger stripe, the troops had a fit and it went back to the drawing board. When they came out with the digital tiger stripes, they went to the field and asked what the Airmen liked and disliked about the new uniform. I think most were asking for sleeve pockets and no stripes on the sleeves anymore. We got the inside map pocket and the little pen pocket on the sleeve.

PRC117F is right. The AF Uniform Board said that sleeve pockets weren't a priority and that it would interfere with the sleeve insignia. Then they turned around and came out with the Goretex raingear with sleeve pockets and stripes on the tab on the front of the jacket.

When it came to the actual camo pattern, most guys were wondering if it would really work. I don't think anyone got a straight answer to that question; I know I still haven't.

As for the AF SNCOs, I can just answer for myself. I told the troops that if they didn't like it, take the survey they were supplying and let higher HQ know. Tell them what's good and what's bad with the new uniform.
Old 10-05-2007, 22:57   #11
peepee1
BANNED USER

Money....Money.... Money!!!

Im prior AF and Ill tell you, I got scared for some time seeing the growing pains with the new uniform. some of the shit they came up with initially was PLAIN scary. At first, you tucked in the shirt and wore some honor guard belt or something. It went downhill and then they got some fashion folks in ole Jumpers office.
Now, on top of the F/(A)- 22 and the mighty F-35 and preds... and Reepers... and level 3 SATs... they want to throw some more money away by altering the service dress. It looked like a mix of the pirate shirt from Seinfeld, the Army Air Corp and the current Service dress.
peepee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:52   #12
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

I'm kind of late

This is an older thread, but I just wanted to say the ABU is horrible and makes the ACU look like the perfect uniform. I was issued my ABU's prior to all my training and deployment. Once we got to Ft. Lewis we were issued ACU's, and once in theatre we got the advanced ACU's. We are working ILO slots so we don't even wear ABU's outside the wire.

The ABU's were supposed to offer numerous sizing options. With pants and tops being numbered sizes 32, 34, 36, etc. However, they aren't true to their numbers and fit really bad. They should have just kept the standard sizing. The material is garbage, I had to wear mine recently on my 4 day pass and after wearing ACU's the last 4 months I hated it. The material is ridiculously heavy and doesn't breath well. It feels like you are wearing a piece of tent.

The cut brings nothing to the table that would make it a "battle uniform". I love the ACU for it's extra pockets, small collar, velcro, and zippers. Hell the advanced ACU is so comfortable it feels like pajamas. But the AF gave us a map pocket on the inside of our shirts! A map pocket... we don't even have any maps and aren't even trained in MGRS (we use lat long) until we go off with the Army!

I'm done ranting. AF leadership took the road less traveled once again. Have you seen our new service dress that is on the way?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:59   #13
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel_Airman View Post
The ABU's were supposed to offer numerous sizing options.
They've delivered on that promise. I see maternity ABUs on the front rack in the MCSS at Peterson AFB each time I head into the commissary.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:28   #14
Pete S
Guerrilla

Thank the Marine Corps for starting these uniform shenanigans.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:42   #15
Philkilla
SF Candidate

At least the Marine Corps got it right, it seems every other branch just wanted to jump on the cool train..

The Army should stick with multicam, but I think someone else is getting use out of that too and they don't want to share (neither would I).
Philkilla is offline   Reply With Quote