Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 02-04-2005, 05:13   #16
lrd
Area Commander

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1295734.htm

Quote:
The ABC's Middle East Correspondent, Mark Willacy, is in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.

Mark Willacy, we've heard reports about the high voter turnout, but now there are reports of how some voters have taken on the insurgents in order to vote, you know, the people are fighting back.

MARK WILLACY: That's right, Tony. The Iraqi police have investigated a case in the village of al-Mudhariya, which is just south of Baghdad. The villagers there say that before the election insurgents came and warned them that if they voted in last weekend's election, they would pay.

Now the people of this mixed village of Sunni and Shia Muslims, they ignored the threat and they did turn out to vote.

We understand that last night the insurgents came back to punish the people of al-Mudhariya, but instead of metering out that punishment the villagers fought back and they killed five of the insurgents and wounded eight. They then burnt the insurgents' car. So the people of that village have certainly had enough of the insurgents.

TONY EASTLEY: Do you think that is a one off, Mark, or is it a sign perhaps that some Iraqis are no longer sympathetic to the insurgents' cause, or at least no longer willing to turn a blind eye?

MARK WILLACY: It would appear that people are getting sick of the insurgency. I understand, though, that this is the first report of Iraqis confronting insurgents and actually fighting back in such a way.

But certainly many people here see the insurgency as the work of foreigners who want to turn their country into some sort of Islamic state, like Afghanistan under the Talbian.

And a couple of days ago we spoke to some voters in central Baghdad and every one of them basically said that they'd like the insurgents to stop their bombing and shooting attacks. Some even said they'd voted just to send a message to the insurgents that they would not be frightened any more.
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 20:50   #17
Juggernaut
BANNED USER

Interum president?

I feel the turnout and the people actually voting, not letting those insurgents turn them away, is something of awesome proportion. When I heard the number of people who turned out for voting, I was overjoyed.

However, until we get the Iraqi leaders and government in, I think we're in a horrible postition. I think Iraqi insurgents or even the Iraqi people themselves could easily take anger against us appointing a interum president. Some could see it as us just putting who we want in control so we can remotely control the entire country. Not that I'm saying that's the case, but in Iraq, it could be seen that way. I just hope we can get them running the country as fast as possible.

I think disbanding the Iraqi Army was very very stupid. It's making us deploy our own troops longer. If we could have put all the people who surrendured back into action in their old roles, as peacekeepers in their own country it'd have done 2 very important things.

1. It would have shown a coalition effort between both Iraqi and US troops. Not US troops and Iraqi police force, but Army and Army together. I think insurgents may have been hesitant to blow up their own people, but then who knows what the hell they're thinking.

2. We possibly could have kept less troops deployed. Every Iraqi soldier over there helping out would mean 1 less American who had to be over there. With the National Guard already having to compensate for the Clinton administration downsizing the active Army, we need all the help we can get. Not that I'm against Clinton, the man is a genius, literally, iq of like 184. 2nd smartest president, can't go wrong there. But the fact is we have almost all our eggs in one basket, I don't think we should have to do that.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 20:57   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Not that I'm against Clinton, the man is a genius, literally, iq of like 184. 2nd smartest president, can't go wrong there.
Where in the world did you get that info?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 20:59   #19
Sigi
BANNED USER

Quote:
I think insurgents may have been hesitant to blow up their own people
Just curious: are we following the same insurgency?
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 21:15   #20
Juggernaut
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Where in the world did you get that info?

TR
Oh, lots of places, school, scouts, informed friends (as in informed ADULTS, not high school peers), news, research, a lot of research, that's about where I got it.

Respectively,
Juggernaut
Old 02-16-2005, 21:17   #21
Juggernaut
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi
Just curious: are we following the same insurgency?
If at all possible, could you clarify your question, do you mean we are following the insurgents themselves, the same ones that would attack their own people? Or are you talking about a policy in our military and/or friendly fire incidents? I just wish to more perfectly answer your question.
Old 02-16-2005, 21:21   #22
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Oh, lots of places, school, scouts, informed friends (as in informed ADULTS, not high school peers), news, research, a lot of research, that's about where I got it.

Respectively,
Juggernaut
Apply your research skills and look up the meaning of the word respectively, then look up the word respectfully.
Old 02-16-2005, 21:23   #23
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
I think disbanding the Iraqi Army was very very stupid.
Who exactly are you saying was "stupid"?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 21:23   #24
Sigi
BANNED USER

Quote:
If at all possible, could you clarify your question, do you mean we are following the insurgents themselves, the same ones that would attack their own people? Or are you talking about a policy in our military and/or friendly fire incidents? I just wish to more perfectly answer your question.
You said:
Quote:
I think insurgents may have been hesitant to blow up their own people
I am just wondering why you think they would be less inclined to blow up their own people. They are mass murdering the very Iraqi citizens (police AND the military) that are training to become protectors of the innocent (police AND military.).

What would make them so less inclined to murder their own citizens?

AND, you completely lost me with the "military policy/friendly fire incidents" comment. How did you make this connection? I think you have an agenda to turn this discussion into something it is not, and that is fine. Just say what you mean because I need to go to bed and cannot play ping pong back and forth while you try and make your point.

Last edited by Sigi; 02-16-2005 at 21:27.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 21:24   #25
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
You're comparing the insurgency of terrorists in Iraq to friendly fire? Surely you're not that ignorant. Or perhaps you are.
Old 02-16-2005, 21:25   #26
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 21:40   #27
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Perhaps disbanding the Iraqi army was a mistake -- in hindsight. That is somewhat different from "stupid". If there was a fault it was in the intelligence community. Looking at things in the beginning of the war, what indications were there that the Iraqi army would be loyal to us? All Iintelligence pointed to the fact they would fight to the death. On the other hand, if they droped their arms and ran at the first sign of contact, why would we want them on our side?

Now -- WTF does this have to do with the elections? I refuse to do your homework for you.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 21:40   #28
Hooahman
SF Candidate

General Douglas MacAthur
Hooahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 21:41   #29
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Nothing like a young high school student starting up here by sharing his opinions and wisdom with us ignorant savages. After all, we are always looking for someone to stir the pot here.

Juggernaut, I will make you this one time offer.

Stop typing long enough to read the Intro to the site and all of the stickies at the top of the various forums.

Then PM me with a brief description of what you are doing wrong and how you plan to correct these deficiencies.

You do that, and I will see that you are not IP banned in the next few hours. If you choose not to, I expect that your visit here will be brief and undistinguished, your departure will not be mourned.

Good luck, and have a very SF day.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 21:54   #30
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Situational Awareness of a rock.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote