Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 03-21-2004, 17:26   #31
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Whatever, what was the domestic policy failure?
I have to get some work done, but I did find this, which touches on the issue a little bit. It wasn't just in the second term, but I think it got a lot worse then.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...301.green.html
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 17:57   #32
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I don't begin to understand that.

I will tell you that IMO "Hypocrisy is an enemy of policy, no matter who is setting it. " is a noble statement, but far removed from reality in most cases.

Is it hypocritical to sign an Executive Order prohibiting assassination of foreign heads of state, then bomb the crap out of a country when you know full well that less than a dozen people are causing the problem?
I'm back. You're right my statement about hypocrisy is crappy and vague. I just want to know how many people lost their jobs or had a trial regarding the contra/drugs.
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 22:33   #33
pulque
Guerrilla

domestic policy failure

The axe I am grinding is that IMO, zero-tolerance and the mandatory minimum sentencing brought in with 1986 Anti Drug Abuse Act were the wrong direction for domestic policy.

What we had was a domestic policy postured on morality and foreign policy postured on success by any means.

I'm speculating that is a pretty uncomfortable situation to be in, if you are one of the 500,000 citizens in the big house for drug offences, or if you have had property and asset seizure.

Now let's go back to your example:
Quote:
Is it hypocritical to sign an Executive Order prohibiting assassination of foreign heads of state, then bomb the crap out of a country when you know full well that less than a dozen people are causing the problem?
That is an excellent, thought-provoking question. I knew there was a reason I haunt this place. Obviously 12333 can be a fly in the ointment. I have wondered how often it really boils down to a dozen people causing problems compared to a more systemic problem. Assassinations may appear cleaner but have more unpredictable consequences (eg the continuing fallout from the Gaitan assassination. this differs from foreign policy in that it was probably internal. nonetheless, as a civil war action may still not have acheived its objective).

Please clarify which situation you had in mind for your example of a dozen people.

edited to add: just to head this off and stay on topic, I know its been discussed around here before that the people in jail broke the law. it's "missy libertarian" to you.

Last edited by pulque; 03-21-2004 at 23:15.
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 00:30   #34
brownapple

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
OK, how about this:

Were our efforts in Nicaragua successful? Were they worth the fallout?
Ask Daniel Ortega. My opinion? Yes and yes.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:41   #35
ktek01
Suffering from SF TDY Envy

Re: domestic policy failure

Quote:
Originally posted by pulque
The axe I am grinding is that IMO, zero-tolerance and the mandatory minimum sentencing brought in with 1986 Anti Drug Abuse Act were the wrong direction for domestic policy.

What we had was a domestic policy postured on morality and foreign policy postured on success by any means.

I'm speculating that is a pretty uncomfortable situation to be in, if you are one of the 500,000 dirtbags(fixed that one for you) in the big house for drug offences, or if you have had property and asset seizure.

Uncomfortable for WHO? Easy way around that, Just Say No.
ktek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:11   #36
DunbarFC
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
I like this book: The Real Contra War: Highlander Peasant Resistance in Nicaragua By Timothy C. Brown
Thanks Jimbo

Appreciate the recommendation
Old 03-23-2004, 11:13   #37
Catwoman
Asset

Re: Can we talk about the Contras?

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I'd be interested in anything anyone from 7th Group can share. Stories, observations, whatever. If there's nothing, that's OK too.
Let me try to reset the topic. I am hopeful that one or more of the new members may be able to share some thoughts.

(I saw one starting, then changing his mind! )

[Edit: This is RL using wife's login. Oops]
Catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote