Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-13-2013, 14:35   #1
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet

I was curious if anyone has heard of this device or used something similar for their extended stay vacations in the great outdoors. My tablet bit the dust and I came across this one.

Some of the features include:

• Bluetooth 4.0, ANT+ and Android Beam data sharing
  • Weather sensors (temp, humidity, barometric pressure, anemometer & compass
  • 2-way radio featuring a FRS, GMRS and MURS transceiver; sends secure text/voice messages
  • AM/FM/SW/LW radio tuner; NOAA
  • Compatible with other Android Apps
  • Laminated solar panel - 20 hours of battery life; USB power capable
  • Glove friendly, infrared touch screen w/3D joypad and gyroscope
  • Water/Dust/Shock/Mud proof; IP67 rated
  • Starting price: $249

I'm pretty rough on my electronics and open to any ideas or suggestions for a tablet that can tough it whenever I decide to rough it and take a little technology into the woods (hiking, 4-wheeling, etc for days at a time).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Earl.jpg (63.2 KB, 64 views)
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 16:24   #2
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Only in today's world could this device be considered for survival.
Old 05-13-2013, 18:09   #3
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Does not appear to be ready for prime time, they are asking for pre-orders to fund I do believe. I may be wrong but I would be very leery.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 19:17   #4
JMART5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
The wife and I watched some sort of Alaskan survival show last night where 6 or 7 dudes are dropped off and they have to navigate 50 miles in 72 hours to an LZ to get picked up. They were talking about how they DID NOT have GPS or any other tech gear, just a map, some matches, some tarps (but NO tents), a bow and arrow, rice, beans, .......I think we were supposed to be impressed at how bad they had it. When my head turned to look at my wife (with my jaw dropped and eyebrows crinkled), she was already smiling at me. I didn't have to say anything (she knew what I was going to say).... BUT I DID. After I spent several minutes going off about how well those guys had it, she said something like, "Yeah I know". She's heard it all before--especially after SERE school.

Sinjefe--I do believe we are old school. And when those GPS and survival tablets quit working, these new age survivalist will wish they were too. LMAO...
Old 05-13-2013, 19:24   #5
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMART5 View Post
They were talking about how they DID NOT have GPS or any other tech gear, just a map, some matches, some tarps (but NO tents), a bow and arrow, rice, beans, .......I think we were supposed to be impressed at how bad they had it.
All you really "need" is a knife. Those folks had it good.
Old 05-13-2013, 19:26   #6
JMART5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
The wife and I watched some sort of Alaskan survival show last night where 6 or 7 dudes are dropped off and they have to navigate 50 miles in 72 hours to an LZ to get picked up. They were talking about how they DID NOT have GPS or any other tech gear, just a map, some matches, some tarps (but NO tents), a bow and arrow, rice, beans, .......I think we were supposed to be impressed at how bad they had it. When my head turned to look at my wife (with my jaw dropped and eyebrows crinkled), she was already smiling at me. I didn't have to say anything (she knew what I was going to say).... BUT I DID. After I spent several minutes going off about how well those guys had it, she said something like, "Yeah I know". She's heard it all before--especially after SERE school.

Sinjefe--I do believe we are old school. And when those GPS and survival tablets quit working, these new age survivalist will wish they were too. LMAO...
Old 05-13-2013, 20:23   #7
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYPatriot View Post
I was curious if anyone has heard of this device or used something similar for their extended stay vacations in the great outdoors. My tablet bit the dust and I came across this one.

Some of the features include:

• Bluetooth 4.0, ANT+ and Android Beam data sharing
  • Weather sensors (temp, humidity, barometric pressure, anemometer & compass
  • 2-way radio featuring a FRS, GMRS and MURS transceiver; sends secure text/voice messages
  • AM/FM/SW/LW radio tuner; NOAA
  • Compatible with other Android Apps
  • Laminated solar panel - 20 hours of battery life; USB power capable
  • Glove friendly, infrared touch screen w/3D joypad and gyroscope
  • Water/Dust/Shock/Mud proof; IP67 rated
  • Starting price: $249

I'm pretty rough on my electronics and open to any ideas or suggestions for a tablet that can tough it whenever I decide to rough it and take a little technology into the woods (hiking, 4-wheeling, etc for days at a time).
Don't have any experience with item but the Rating is not high enough for hardcore use overtime. It would probably last me about a month...
If you don't have one use the money and buy a Cammenga Model 3H and know how to use it...it'll serve you better in the long run and work when you need it to.

Edit by Razor: Normal size font is good enough for the rest of us, so its also good enough for you.

Last edited by badshot; 05-13-2013 at 21:34. Reason: correct model number
badshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 23:30   #8
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Thank you for the responses, gentlemen! Your points are well-taken. On the other hand, I still need to find a toddler proof tablet. My 2 year old was the culprit this time as she baptized my tablet over the weekend.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather

Last edited by DIYPatriot; 05-13-2013 at 23:41.
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49   #9
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYPatriot View Post
Thank you for the responses, gentlemen! Your points are well-taken. On the other hand, I still need to find a toddler proof tablet. My 2 year old was the culprit this time as she baptized my tablet over the weekend.
...as long as the mentioned tablet ain't moving and is less than a meter deep, it'll keep workin'