Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 05-01-2005, 12:21   #151
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
OK, Here is the metal working solution to FS's previous design/engineering problem.
Who said craftsmanship is dead?
Talk about a heavy weight bearing load...interesting look though.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:48   #152
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Probably not the thing to wear on a cold day...
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 15:57   #153
lksteve
Quiet Professional

well, the weight should help develop her abs...but what about those arms?
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 22:55   #154
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
OK, Here is the metal working solution to FS's previous design/engineering problem.
Who said craftsmanship is dead?
The last time I saw one of these worn in public it was nicely set off by the rabbit fur bikini bottoms and the Greco-Roman laceup sandals. The really neat part was the "interesting" tan lines that resulted from wearing it as an outer garment. It leaves a mottled look similar the the finish on some of her knives. Fair warning though - the craftsmanship has to be impeccable (it requires considerable fitting by the artisan) and the ring size fairly small or it will abuse tender flesh and gap attrociously while failing to provide the requisite support. Not to mention wearing it in direct sun on a hot day can also be somewhat uncomfortable. But as an added benefit, it does provide some protection from a slashing attack. Just my .02 - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 20:21   #155
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
The last time I saw one of these worn in public it was nicely set off by the rabbit fur bikini bottoms and the Greco-Roman laceup sandals. The really neat part was the "interesting" tan lines that resulted from wearing it as an outer garment. It leaves a mottled look similar the the finish on some of her knives. Fair warning though - the craftsmanship has to be impeccable (it requires considerable fitting by the artisan) and the ring size fairly small or it will abuse tender flesh and gap attrociously while failing to provide the requisite support. Not to mention wearing it in direct sun on a hot day can also be somewhat uncomfortable. But as an added benefit, it does provide some protection from a slashing attack. Just my .02 - Peregrino
Peregrino,
Your observations skills are quite remarkable.

Redneck Engineering is all about impeccable craftsmanship.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 20:24   #156
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Redneck Engineering is all about impeccable craftsmanship.
silly me...i thought it was about duct tape and bailing twine...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 05-02-2005, 20:35   #157
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
Yeah, but she already shot down the duct tape...
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:37   #158
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
Impeccable craftsmanship with duct tape and bailing twine.
No problem.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:44   #159
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Impeccable craftsmanship with duct tape and bailing twine.
No problem.
Don't forget 550 cord, old C-ration spoons and WD-1

Jack Moroney-
Old 05-15-2005, 08:04   #160
Squidly
Auxiliary

I don't know if this constitutes SF/redneck engineering but it did solve a problem. I saw this when I was a submariner in the Navy:

When a sub is on the surface the OOD (Officer Of the Deck) is stationed up in the Conning Tower in the sail. When the weather is bad they will want their coffee at pretty regular intervals so the Messenger of the Watch (usually an E-2/3) has to run down to the galley, grab some coffee, run back to the Control Room, then climb a ladder onehanded in rolling seas up to the OOD. This one OOD would bitch because half the coffee would have slopped out by the time the Messenger got to him. He was running the kid ragged. This guy solved the problem by taking a big swig of the coffee right before climbing the ladder, he'd then climb the ladder to the the OOD's feet then spit the coffee back into the cup and hand it up to the OOD. No more problems but it only worked at night.

This one does constitute redneck engineering:

A guy I work with told this story: When he was a teenager he had a truck that burned alot of oil. Couldn't afford an engine rebuild so he emptied his windshield washer reservoir and filled it with oil. Routed the pump discharge to his breather. When he saw oil pressure getting low he'd start "washing windows" until oil pressure started to climb. He said he went through alot of pumps but they were only a couple of bucks in the wrecking yards.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:24   #161
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...so the Messenger of the Watch (usually an E-2/3) has to run down to the galley, grab some coffee, run back to the Control Room, then climb a ladder onehanded in rolling seas up to the OOD.
I guess using a small thermos to transport the coffee from galley to conn was out of the question.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:01   #162
cszakolczai

I know of a cop that re routed the windshield wiper fluid to the inside of his car through the dashboard, and instead of windshield wiper fluid he filled it with Jack Daniels. He made a holder for the shot glass, so every time he wanted a shot he would just hit the windshield wiper fluid and it would fill up.
Chris
Old 05-15-2005, 11:19   #163
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I guess using a small thermos to transport the coffee from galley to conn was out of the question.
probably not in keeping with the traditions of the Navy, ya know...
Old 05-15-2005, 13:08   #164
Squidly
Auxiliary

The boat was fresh out of the yards at Mare Island at the time and alot of the guys hadn't seen two weeks of sea duty yet. Didn't have many of the things that go with lessons learned. That and the fact that everyone, officers included, thought it was funny as hell since the officer was a bit of a dick. We ended up getting one of the insulated coffee carafes out of the wardroom and tying a line to the handle. When the OOD wanted more coffee he sent the carafe back down, got it refilled then pulled it back up.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 19:12   #165
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai
I know of a cop that re routed the windshield wiper fluid to the inside of his car through the dashboard, and instead of windshield wiper fluid he filled it with Jack Daniels. He made a holder for the shot glass, so every time he wanted a shot he would just hit the windshield wiper fluid and it would fill up.
Chris
Now that's redneck. This has me looking at the windshield washer on my ol' pickup.

I've often thought (but would never, EVER, consider doing ) about routing a small diameter line out to the rear bumper of my rig and and have it hooked up to an electric fuel pump and small waste oil tank. The switch would be within reach of the operator while driving.

This might be for "helping" tailgaters.