Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 04-07-2019, 09:10   #1
Graffiti
Quiet Professional

Blast From the Past - ICOM F3S-3

Cleaning out warm storage my Echo and I found several Icom-F3S-3s. I've read these are from a COTS program in the late 90s, way before my time, and so I'm curious if anyone has experience using them (I assume so...).

So far, we've managed to find the programming software and a computer to reprogram a few of these radios. Our first impression is these would be great for use with Gs...

A few of the radios have a scrambler board and were curious if anyone has experience with those too.

Last edited by Graffiti; 04-07-2019 at 09:15.
Graffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:04   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
eb is full of F3s radios, batteries & gear
Wondering if they would do for hunting camp coms??
What kind of transmit distance could you hope for?

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:58   #3
Badger52
Area Commander

PDF manual archived by Icom. 5w VHF and programmable apparently; also can work in the 2m ham band (144-148MHz) in the middle of one of the available ranges & partially at the bottom of the other range.. Nice little rigs.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 21:44   #4
Graffiti
Quiet Professional

For the sake of the saying - knowing is half the battle- I'll share that we figured out the better part of these ICOM F3S radios.

If you have one and need the programming software or have questions send a PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:01   #5
albeham
Quiet Professional

look also can cover the MURS band.

Google it
Old 03-20-2020, 13:03   #6
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffiti View Post
Cleaning out warm storage my Echo and I found several Icom-F3S-3s. I've read these are from a COTS program in the late 90s, way before my time, and so I'm curious if anyone has experience using them (I assume so...).

So far, we've managed to find the programming software and a computer to reprogram a few of these radios. Our first impression is these would be great for use with Gs...

A few of the radios have a scrambler board and were curious if anyone has experience with those too.
My 1st tour in 02, we did give these to our terps and Gs....before the ANA we’re formed up.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote