Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 04-03-2019, 06:55   #31
Box
Quiet Professional

Dear Lord - I am so confused.
...and outraged.
I am so outraged. It's just outrageous how outraged I am at this outrage.

John Wayne was the greatest. He was so great that he once shot a guy dead - hiding in the shadows so no one would see him- just so that Jimmy Stewart could get into politics. He adopted an orphaned Vietnamese kid for god sake - not because he likes Vietnamese people, but because it was the right thing to do !!!
Think about that shit - John Wayne is so awesome that just from John Wayne shooting a guy - Jimmy Stewart got so popular that he became a senator !!!

Or maybe those were movies plots - I cant remember.

Either way - John Wayne made movies that were culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant - films that showcase the range and diversity of American film heritage - films that give red blooded Americans a raging freedom boner that could kill an angry, charging cape buffalo...
...and people are upset about a Playboy interview?

Jimmy Carter gave a fucked up Playboy interview and they made him president - and he was just a halfassed peanut farmer and a shitty governor - Bill Clinton sodomized a government clerk - and they made him president only to impeach him and make him president again. The entire leadership of Virginia has compromised morals and they didnt even have to say "sorry" - but people want to talk down on The Duke over some shit he said over 40 years ago. That is some BULL.SHIT.

John Wayne shot a guy, just so Jimmy Stewart could break into politics. That has got to be worth something.
Cheese and Rice - there is no discussion - John Wayne should get an Oscar for best Cowboy ever. We should name a fucking airport after the man !!
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:02   #32
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

^^^eggzactly^^^

He adopted all those misfit orphaned cowboy kids too and died for them and that black fellow! Oh the humanity!

Actually IIRC he was quite the humanitarian in real life. Donating money and his time to help the disadvantaged.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:56   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The Duke (his charity) contributed a significant portion of the funds to build "Bronze Bruce", the commemorative SF Statue, and John Wayne made the movie "The Green Berets" when it was very politically unpopular to do so.

Ross Perot has paid for several more SF statues, including Bull Simons, LTG Yarborough and Dick Meadows.

I think we are seeing revisionist history when we try to judge others based on our current politically correct lens.

That is how it was. In some respects, it has gotten better. In others, not so much.

IMHO, these men were real Americans, back when that meant something.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:04   #34
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I believe I uncovered the root of the left's deep hatred of the Duke. Not only did he steal the rightful property of the communist state (a steam ship), but that pirate transported a ship full of freedom-loving Chinese refugees out of early communist China. That black-hearted capitalist also outmaneuvered the whole Chicom navy, making them look like buffoons. An even greater crime committed during that voyage was him tossing the former village commissar off the boat who ended up being exterminated by his own beloved Chicom comrades. And lastly, he succeeded in his task of getting all those oppressed Chinese people to that insolent and decadent island nation of Taiwan, away from the bosom of the benevolent PRC.

Curses! A pox upon him!
Old 04-03-2019, 16:31   #35
cbtengr
Area Commander

John Wayne loved his country and he made no bones about it, he wore the label American proudly. Being an American is nothing to be ashamed of or run away from. I look at the lefts dear leaders and ponder how they became to be so twisted and askew in their beliefs. Do they actually believe the crap they spread or is it just because they cater to their base for votes?
Old 04-03-2019, 18:58   #36
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
John Wayne loved his country and he made no bones about it, he wore the label American proudly. Being an American is nothing to be ashamed of or run away from. I look at the lefts dear leaders and ponder how they became to be so twisted and askew in their beliefs. Do they actually believe the crap they spread or is it just because they cater to their base for votes?
It's a tossup which is the more mentally ill...the politicians or the people voting for them.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 18:59   #37
tst43
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
The Duke (his charity) contributed a significant portion of the funds to build "Bronze Bruce", the commemorative SF Statue, and John Wayne made the movie "The Green Berets" when it was very politically unpopular to do so.

Ross Perot has paid for several more SF statues, including Bull Simons, LTG Yarborough and Dick Meadows.

I think we are seeing revisionist history when we try to judge others based on our current politically correct lens.

That is how it was. In some respects, it has gotten better. In others, not so much.

IMHO, these men were real Americans, back when that meant something.

TR
Spot on, as usual. I began reading this thread a couple of nights ago, and as luck would have it, I was channel-surfing and happened upon "The Shootist" just as it was starting. I remembered that I read something not long ago about another interview The Duke gave regarding where he got the inspiration to play cowboys so well. He recounted how when he lost his football scholarship due to injury at USC, he went to work at a movie studio as a contract actor/stuntman. That afforded him the opportunity to spend a lot of time with another gentleman the studio hired to act as a technical advisor on the westerns the studio was producing. The Duke stated he copied everything from his manner of speaking and the way this gentleman walked until he had it down cold. When asked who this gentleman was, The Duke responded, "Wyatt Earp".
tst43 is offline   Reply With Quote