Old 06-16-2018, 08:52   #1
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Cooling Wrap

My kids saw a "cooling wrap" at the local Walmart and were interested in buying them. Me being a typical DIY (cheap) kind of guy, told them that we could make them at home. So I looked at a few websites and they seem quite straightforward to put together. I also found out they are/were also an item that groups sew and donated to troops in care packages. So I started to think perhaps once we sew some , perhaps I should make one for myself and my buddies in my platoon. Question though. Do they actually help when dealing with the heat? And more importantly, do guys actually wear them? Any feedback or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

jaYson

Here is website with a Marine wearing one - scroll down close to the end.
http://www.thehugsproject.com/from-the-troops/
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:17   #2
7624U
Quiet Professional

Personally I have never liked anything around my neck and I have used the coolers in Iraq. But i would have to say I do like the concept of wrists wraps better.
http://www.polarproducts.com/polarsh...Wraps-p291.htm

I have used a lot of submersion on the wrists in water baths during hot weather and to me the effects last longer then on the head or neck. (my observation on myself)

Just remember these products work better in dry hot environments where you have evaporation on your side.

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 06-17-2018 at 07:20.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:38   #3
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Thanks for the reply. You have made me curious now.hh I went to the link you provided and think I can sew them, but I need more information. Can you describe the construction of the wraps? Do they use water crystals? Any details are greatly appreciated. Also you mentioned only using them in the desert. Would they work in more humid areas? Please respond. Thanks.

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Old 06-17-2018, 11:59   #4
7624U
Quiet Professional

Yes you would need water crystals, Here I just designed them for you so it would be cheap to make. pardon any bad spelling I just whipped it up on paper and scanned it so I would not have to explain it. Same pattern could be used for left and right hand. crystals would be facing in to skin for cooling. They would not work as well in real humid areas.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wrist cooler.pdf (300.8 KB, 26 views)

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 06-17-2018 at 12:02.
Old 06-19-2018, 20:27   #5
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Thanks for the response and sketches. PM sent!

jaYson
--Haim Ginott--
Old 06-20-2018, 07:40   #6
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
The structure of some fabrics enables them to promote different actions. Wicking is one example where they can use different length fibers to promote water/moisture to move through the structure, Gortex uses different substrates/laminates along with the warmth of the body to prevent water from penetrating the fabric but still allow moisture to exit, I mention these to get you thinking about different forces at play. Brushed Taslan is an example of a fabric that has reduced noise and a cotton type comfort and as it turns out some feel cool to the end user.

Another concept I try to get people to think about is that the same elements that provide warmth/insulation can often be used for cool/insulation...

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 14:38   #7
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post

Another concept I try to get people to think about is that the same elements that provide warmth/insulation can often be used for cool/insulation...
Like wool underwear in the summer.
or Silk/virgin wool combo.

"Me"