Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 04-05-2009, 20:27   #31
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
abc123,

If you are PADI certified, any PADI dive shop you care to dive with should be able to use "Dive Chek" through the PADI Pros website and with your full name and date of birth verify your certification. (They can probably do it by phone, too - but web is quicker.)
I got certified in Honduras in early 1992. Then dove in Panama in 1997, but a ten-spot sufficed for a PADI card outside of Ft Sherman... Haven't dove since.
Old 04-05-2009, 21:20   #32
Dub
Guerrilla

I got hooked on the Key Lime Sherbert at the snack bar at BH if you stop in there for a snack. Not very manly, but it was dang good after paddling around the Key. The current that rips through those channels in between the keys and under the bridges is very strong.

- Horace Mann
Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:03   #33
TrapLine
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Sounds like you have had a good trip.. Congratulations..

While at the pub,, did you put a $ on the ceiling??
Yea, one of the many from MN I saw. Our table was under a dollar bill that said "John Wayne was here." I liked the place so much I bought a tourist t-shirt, first time I have done that in a long time.

I would echo those that recommended Bahia Honda. It is very scenic. A good place to do a little page turning. I finished Never Surrender and Sheriff of Ramadi.

Are there extra points for spotting ps.com's Conch Republic resident while down there?
TrapLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:18   #34
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapLine View Post
Are there extra points for spotting ps.com's Conch Republic resident while down there?
Point System,,,

Points awards system and redemption plan to be determined..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:20   #35
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
I got certified in Honduras in early 1992. Then dove in Panama in 1997, but a ten-spot sufficed for a PADI card outside of Ft Sherman... Haven't dove since.
It's like riding a bike! Diving is a great family sport - albeit somewhat expensive initially, like skiing.

I am hoping my younger daughter and her husband can join me and dive while I housesit for a friend in the Bahamas this summer. They have only dived Calif. with colder waters, full wetsuits and hoods, and lots of lead. I leave as soon as school is out on May 22nd... and will be there until mid-June, then a week or so in the Keys, then up to NC to visit family in Greensboro, or down at the beach at Ocean Isle. That'll "shoot" the summer! Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-07-2009, 19:37   #36
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It's like riding a bike! Diving is a great family sport - albeit somewhat expensive initially, like skiing.

I am hoping my younger daughter and her husband can join me and dive while I housesit for a friend in the Bahamas this summer. They have only dived Calif. with colder waters, full wetsuits and hoods, and lots of lead. I leave as soon as school is out on May 22nd... and will be there until mid-June, then a week or so in the Keys, then up to NC to visit family in Greensboro, or down at the beach at Ocean Isle. That'll "shoot" the summer! Enjoy your trip.
Sounds lilke a great time.

I remember the days that I spent diving the Wall on Roatan. Absoluely beautiful! Also remember how much it sucked yakking wile at depth...was a bitch trying not to suck in water after blowing your breakfast! The good thing was it really attracted the little fish....man they came out of EVERY nook an cranny. I got SWARMED!!!!!

Moral of the story.... lots of boozing ... inexperienced diver... 3 dives a day... NOT GOOD.
Old 04-07-2009, 19:38   #37
abc_123
Quiet Professional

JJ

PM Sent!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:01   #38
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
We had the pleasure of entertaining the abc_123 family last night.

Tried a low speed, simple little get together,,

But wouldn't you know,, the locals heard about free booze and the chance to meet a BTDT celebrity from the 5-sided house in Arlington, Va..

Before you could yell "Tree Hugger", they're all lined up for autographs..

We managed to grab a couple bouncers from the NNP for crowd control..

A couple days ago, we had Seal Team #1 running a Robin Sage compass course, in the canal. I hooked up a couple pony-kegs to a hose,, kept-em happy for about an hour. This may not be The peoples Republic of PineLand,, but we give it our best shot..

I think everyone had a good time,, I know Jean & I did..

My $00.0002
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3249.jpg (48.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3259.jpg (74.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3258.jpg (58.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3247.jpg (34.0 KB, 25 views)

Old 04-11-2009, 07:33   #39
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
We had the pleasure of entertaining the abc_123 family last night.

Tried a low speed, simple little get together,,

But wouldn't you know,, the locals heard about free booze and the chance to meet a BTDT celebrity from the 5-sided house in Arlington, Va..

Before you could yell "Tree Hugger", they're all lined up for autographs..

We managed to grab a couple bouncers from the NNP for crowd control..

A couple days ago, we had Seal Team #1 running a Robin Sage compass course, in the canal. I hooked up a couple pony-kegs to a hose,, kept-em happy for about an hour. This may not be The peoples Republic of PineLand,, but we give it our best shot..

I think everyone had a good time,, I know Jean & I did..

My $00.0002
Damn, those are some well-fed "Seals"! Thanks for sharing, JJ!

Are those large, ugly "bufo marinus" toad-thingies still around S. Fla and the Keys?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:46   #40
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Damn, those are some well-fed "Seals"! Thanks for sharing, JJ!

Are those large, ugly "bufo marinus" toad-thingies still around S. Fla and the Keys?
Dugongs visit our canal every spring. I suspect it's their
migration North, following the warm water.

In South Florida, between Miami and Orlando, there are pockets of warm water where they stay all year long. Mainly around the nuke power plant out flows.

These two girls were the biggest we ever had,, I'd guess 9-11
ft,, maybe 1500 lbs..

Old 04-12-2009, 07:47   #41
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Had a great time! Thanks to JJ_BPK for the hospitality. The kids loved feeding the deer.

Am on a borrowed computer at NAS, Key West and have to get back to go snokeling with the kids. Weather is great. Fishing was good, but a little disappointing for the big kids..(too windy to go offshore with the kids so we stayed in the backcountry and caught a load of smaller fish to eat).

Will post more more later.

Gotta go outside and work on my sunburn.
Old 04-19-2009, 18:22   #42
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Had a great time in the Keys.

Thanks agian JJ and Jenine for the hospitality, good food, and conversation. My wife packed one of those coconuts back for the kids and the ate it just the other day!

Fished with a small charter out of Hurricaine Hole in KW. 28' center console boat. Young captain. Piscovorous Charters (sp?) Nice guy. 18 kt winds so with kids he recommended we didin't go offshore for sails, but he'd take us if we wanted. We agreed so he took us to the backcountry and we caught a load of snapper. Kids had action all trip. I caught a 8-9' shark and my wife broke another, bigger shark off. The Lane, mutton, and yellowtail snapper were amazing to eat....so all were happy.

KW NAS MWR offers good discounts on lots of stuff. Call them before you go and get a list! The USCGS, Marathon cottages are nice. Single bedroom , large sitting area and kitchen...very nice.... but not a lot to do for kids (they don't want them wandering aroun the station). Better to stay on the NAS, KW Trumbull point where there is a pool and a shoppette/class VI close by and the beach is also a shorter drive.

Speaking of beaches... Bahia Honda is the best. Gotta go there. Loo Key if you dive or snorkel is the place.

Hey, JJ... the guys at Innerspace dive shop were GTG. The owner is a QP and the service was great...so anyone reading this wants to go diving or snorkling... look them up... they're on Big Pine Key.

abc
Old 04-21-2009, 18:59   #43
ksgbobo
Guerrilla

Whoa JJ_BPK them deer are out of control! I wouldnt mind eating some dog sized Key Deer! But I bet its nice to look at them in the yard.

We want great men who, when fortune frowns, will not be discouraged.
~Colonel Henry Knox
ksgbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 20:19   #44
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgbobo View Post
Whoa JJ_BPK them deer are out of control! I wouldnt mind eating some dog sized Key Deer! But I bet its nice to look at them in the yard.
Yeah, me too. While I was watching them I was thinking that a good sturdy rod, some 50# test mono, some good sharp hooks, and a few apples would be all you need to catch your limit.
Old 04-22-2009, 00:05   #45
armymom1228

You guys are making me real homesick ya know that don't ya?

URL for Innerspace Dive Shop.

http://www.diveinnerspace.com/