Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 01-17-2009, 18:07   #16
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

JJ - thanks for the great posts. I am considering a Keys trip this summer. I spent much time in the Keys, especially around Marathon - diving out at Sombrero Reef (it was easy to find!) - during '67 to '69 while at U of M. This has whetted my appetite for my summer dive trip. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2009, 18:18   #17
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapLine View Post
It is the least I can do. Thank you for starting this thread, the info has been great. I will be sure to give you a report. I plan to do a day of offshore fishing and a couple of days of fishing the flats for tarpon, bonefish and permit. Now I better run for cover. Two posts in one day might put me in the Team Sergeant's sights.
I wouldn't worry about it. You're safe. You're not posting B.S., but even if you were, where better a place to do it than in a fishing thread?
Old 02-06-2009, 17:53   #18
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Locked and Loaded

Got the FL Keys trip locked and loaded!

Apr 8-13th

One night at homestead. Two days at Key West, NAS the the remainder in a cottage at the USCG Station on Marathon. Got the wife working extra hours in her consulting busness to pay for the fishing! Still need to plan what we're going to do, but I know that the NAS has a Class VI, the keys have lots of sun and sand, the ocean has fish, and the air has lots of breeze... so it's going to all work out just fine....
Old 02-11-2009, 10:05   #19
P0604
Asset

Just wanted to ellaborate on the Key Deer. I grew up on Big Pine and I know they are very serious about their deer down there pay close attention to the speed limits and keep a close eye on them while driving. If you hit one it can be a very large fine, if you hit one and run it can be jail time. But since this is a fishing thread I definitely recommend bonefishing if you're not a flyfisherman live crab will do just fine. Just make sure you have plenty of line on your spool.
P0604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:06   #20
P0604
Asset

Are you planning on doing any diving? Or renting a boat?
P0604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:43   #21
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0604 View Post
Are you planning on doing any diving? Or renting a boat?
No plan to dive. I'm strictly recreational on that score and it's been 10yrs since I did that. I have no idea where my card is so I couldn't rent tanks even if I wanted to. Other than that, diving would be fun... now if there are any boats to do cast and recovery with...or helos.... That'd be a different story.

We may rent one of the small boats available at the USCG station, Marathon.... don't know yet.

Bonefishing? Not unless I go by myself. I have two boys and the wife with me so when we fish it'll have to be something for all of us, besides, my wife is dead set on eating at least one of the fish that we catch! All I have is a 6wt rod... use it for trout. Can't really fish in the ocean wth that.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:08   #22
ksgbobo
Guerrilla

Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

I've been down to the Keys every year for the past five years and love it. IMO, if you don't have a boat, a good size boat, you miss out on alot. But thats for another time.

I did a charter our of Marathon with my in-laws that was a bigger boat, and we had around 30 people onboard. That was fun, it was cheaper, and we caught lots of fish, the only downside is that you have to claim a certain part of the boat to fish from, which can get crowded if the fishin is good.

Make sure you do some snorklin. That is always fun, and the kids will enjoy that. This is where the boat would be nice, but you can book snorkeling charters as well. Or you can find a "beach" and snorkel around there or go to the parks. The Bahia Honda State Park is fun, but cost money, but there are lots of snorkeling spots around there. Just don't get tempted to jump off the bridge like I did.

I am not a big fan of Key West, but there is lots to do out of there, and there are some good charters out of there as well.

If you rent a boat, just be careful, and make sure you get charts to know where you are going and to not ground the boat. There are alot of idiots down there who do not know how to operate boats and end up in trouble. I can attest to that, with my idiot friend. Just be careful regardless and have fun.

We want great men who, when fortune frowns, will not be discouraged.
~Colonel Henry Knox
ksgbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:19   #23
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgbobo View Post
Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

I've been down to the Keys every year for the past five years and love it. IMO, if you don't have a boat, a good size boat, you miss out on alot. But thats for another time.

I did a charter our of Marathon with my in-laws that was a bigger boat, and we had around 30 people onboard. That was fun, it was cheaper, and we caught lots of fish, the only downside is that you have to claim a certain part of the boat to fish from, which can get crowded if the fishin is good.

Make sure you do some snorklin. That is always fun, and the kids will enjoy that. This is where the boat would be nice, but you can book snorkeling charters as well. Or you can find a "beach" and snorkel around there or go to the parks. The Bahia Honda State Park is fun, but cost money, but there are lots of snorkeling spots around there. Just don't get tempted to jump off the bridge like I did.

I am not a big fan of Key West, but there is lots to do out of there, and there are some good charters out of there as well.

If you rent a boat, just be careful, and make sure you get charts to know where you are going and to not ground the boat. There are alot of idiots down there who do not know how to operate boats and end up in trouble. I can attest to that, with my idiot friend. Just be careful regardless and have fun.
Thanks. Definately planning on fishing and snorkling. Need to get the lay of the land once we get down there. Will start planning in earnest a little closer to launch date.
Old 04-04-2009, 19:12   #24
TrapLine
Guerrilla

Fishing Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
Trapline, we'll be down there week after you. If you have internet.. hook up and let me know how the fishing is.

I spent two days fishing with Captain Chippy out of the Key West Oceanside Marina. We fished about 40 miles out on the Gulf side and caught a lot of grouper, snapper (mangrove, mutton, laine, and yellow tail). The fishing was a blast, there was little time between fish. We brought back about 300 lbs of fish the first day. This would be very fun for the family as long as the water is not too rough.

I spent 1/2 day fishing tarpon with Captain Butch up on grassy key right near the Long Key bridge. We fished a little farther out than most because there were bigger fish. We ended up landing 3, but other people had more action with smaller fish near the bridge.

I spent one day flats fishing with Captian Albert from World Class Anglers in Marathon. We caught about 6 bone fish and it was a complete blast. They put up an unbelievable fight. It was different from anything I have done before as the guide push poles from up on a platform and spots the fish. It is a lot like hunting fish. Unfortunately I missed the few permit we saw mainly due to poor spotting/casting.

While we were in Key West we took part of our catch to the Conch Republic. It was suggested by our guide and the fish was great. They did it three different ways, all very good. The two for one beers at happy hour were a bonus.

To finish things off, we ate pizza at the No Name Pub today. It was a fun place to stop, well worth the trip off the beaten path. The pizza is as good as advertised.

Sorry for the long post. I hope you and your family have as great a time as my wife and I did.

TrapLine
TrapLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 19:23   #25
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Sounds like you have had a good trip.. Congratulations..

While at the pub,, did you put a $ on the ceiling??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49   #26
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapLine View Post
I spent two days fishing with Captain Chippy out of the Key West Oceanside Marina. We fished about 40 miles out on the Gulf side and caught a lot of grouper, snapper (mangrove, mutton, laine, and yellow tail). The fishing was a blast, there was little time between fish. We brought back about 300 lbs of fish the first day. This would be very fun for the family as long as the water is not too rough.

I spent 1/2 day fishing tarpon with Captain Butch up on grassy key right near the Long Key bridge. We fished a little farther out than most because there were bigger fish. We ended up landing 3, but other people had more action with smaller fish near the bridge.

I spent one day flats fishing with Captian Albert from World Class Anglers in Marathon. We caught about 6 bone fish and it was a complete blast. They put up an unbelievable fight. It was different from anything I have done before as the guide push poles from up on a platform and spots the fish. It is a lot like hunting fish. Unfortunately I missed the few permit we saw mainly due to poor spotting/casting.

While we were in Key West we took part of our catch to the Conch Republic. It was suggested by our guide and the fish was great. They did it three different ways, all very good. The two for one beers at happy hour were a bonus.

To finish things off, we ate pizza at the No Name Pub today. It was a fun place to stop, well worth the trip off the beaten path. The pizza is as good as advertised.

Sorry for the long post. I hope you and your family have as great a time as my wife and I did.

TrapLine
Thanks for the report! We can hardly wait!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:49   #27
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
No plan to dive. I'm strictly recreational on that score and it's been 10yrs since I did that. I have no idea where my card is so I couldn't rent tanks even if I wanted to. Other than that, diving would be fun... now if there are any boats to do cast and recovery with...or helos.... That'd be a different story.

We may rent one of the small boats available at the USCG station, Marathon.... don't know yet.

Bonefishing? Not unless I go by myself. I have two boys and the wife with me so when we fish it'll have to be something for all of us, besides, my wife is dead set on eating at least one of the fish that we catch! All I have is a 6wt rod... use it for trout. Can't really fish in the ocean wth that.
abc123,

If you are PADI certified, any PADI dive shop you care to dive with should be able to use "Dive Chek" through the PADI Pros website and with your full name and date of birth verify your certification. (They can probably do it by phone, too - but web is quicker.)
Old 04-05-2009, 16:31   #28
Dub
Guerrilla

Thanks for the great info, I was down there with some friends over spring break a couple weeks ago and I only now saw this post. I NEED TO GO BACK!

We stopped in Bahia Honda on our way back up and were lucky enough to get two nights of camping in the park there without having any reservations.

Our itenerary was:

a couple days in Largo, John Pennekamp State Park, SCUBA w/ Ocean Divers, snorkeling, kayaking

Key West - Insanity, a lot of the FLA schools spring break was the same as ours - more girls than you could imagine.

Bahia Honda and some inshore kayak fishing.

Kayaked to and camped on Money Key one night as well.

Bookmarked this thread for the next trip.

- Horace Mann

Last edited by Dub; 04-05-2009 at 16:38.
Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 19:27   #29
armymom1228

Quote:
Planning a familly vacation. Still working out the details but looking at Marathon Key in mid April. Going to do some beach time for sure, trip to Key West to say we've been there. However when surfing the net looking at things to do, my wife immediately zeroed in on the fishing and is 100% geeked to do a fishing charter....

Looking at 3/4 day. Fish species immeterial.

Suggestions? / Recomendations?

Thanks!
The guys have hit on all the fishing stuff.

http://www.dolphins.org/ <---IN marathon, kids can pet and touch dolphins

Bahia Honda State Park for beach.

Key West,
schooner wharf bar at Key West Bight. Outdoors..kids can wander and look at boats.
Cafe Pepe (caroline st, across from kw bight) great hamburgers and dollar beer. Tshirts have mirror images on them.

There is a dive boat that leaves in the early am for fort Jefferson, you can spend the day snorkeling at the fort aka dry tortugas.

conch train tour, quick and dirty trip around Cayo Hueso.

JJ, shame on you you gotta warn people that Fantasy Fest is a very adult halloween party. I Love it.. however the last trip left me in need of some serious drink to recover.

Sunset Sail is simply wonderful. Sunset wharf is a great way to see the best articst KW has to offer.. or use to be.

www.keysnews.com
www.keynoter.com <----local newspapers.
Old 04-05-2009, 20:25   #30
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
Thanks for the great info, I was down there with some friends over spring break a couple weeks ago and I only now saw this post. I NEED TO GO BACK!

We stopped in Bahia Honda on our way back up and were lucky enough to get two nights of camping in the park there without having any reservations.

Our itenerary was:

a couple days in Largo, John Pennekamp State Park, SCUBA w/ Ocean Divers, snorkeling, kayaking

Key West - Insanity, a lot of the FLA schools spring break was the same as ours - more girls than you could imagine.

Bahia Honda and some inshore kayak fishing.

Kayaked to and camped on Money Key one night as well.

Bookmarked this thread for the next trip.
Have tentatively registered for an afternoon snorkling trip at BH state park. Lookig forward to it!