Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 07-22-2013, 10:06   #391
MiTTMedic
Guerrilla

It's easier to do it when the canyon is much smaller...before it grows larger.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01   #392
mark46th
Quiet Professional

"You need a volunteer." TR

Preferably one who can swim...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 15:00   #393
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Post Support Mower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8s-q...ature=youtu.be

I think this would cut down on mowing time and operator fatigue!!!

BMT
Old 10-02-2013, 09:45   #394
Dead_Bolt
SF Candidate

Making due with what you've got

Back in 2008 I was working as a Lineman for a large power company in North Carolina 3rd shift. Driving my bucket rig about to get on I485 in Charlotte and I saw several police cruisers with their strobes on trying to assist a stranded motorist, Pulled over to see if I could help...

Officer told me the motorist had hit black ice and skidded off the road into the ditch there and now her car wouldn't start back, he told me they had a tow truck on the way but he was an hour away in Hickory. (from inside his cruiser with the heat wide open while the woman stood outside her car shivering)

So I took it upon myself to get this old pontiac bonneville running again. I asked her to turn it over and it goes CLICK CLICK CLICK. tested the battery with my volt-meter... battery was good so I knew it was the starter, took a piece of 6/3 copper cable and my class 2 rubber gloves attached one end to the battery terminal post with ground lugs from an old meter base and the other end straight to the solenoid.

problem solved . and saved her a couple hundred bucks on the tow, money I hope she spent on a new starter solenoid.

"Nothing in this life worth having, comes EASY" - Dad

"There's a pack of wolves outside... Don't open your door. Cling tightly to your kin. We'll tear you limb from limb" - Me

Last edited by Dead_Bolt; 10-02-2013 at 09:50. Reason: Typo in Title Line.
Dead_Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22   #395
Dead_Bolt
SF Candidate

Rigging is an art-form

Another example here... In 2011 I visited my dad to find his lawn was a good 2 feet tall in some places. I asked him about it he told me both his lawn mowers were broken (1 push mower 1 riding lawn mower) and he had nobody to help him fix them (guilt trip for not visiting often enough).

after 3 minutes we decided the push mower was a lost cause and focused on the riding mower, the ignition system was electric, and burnt to a crisp, other than that there seemed to be nothing else wrong with the thing.

So my first idea was take the safety covers off the engine and start it the same way they start those Indy cars, manually turn the fly-wheel to the top of the compression by hand then put the hammer drill with a correct sized socket attachment on the bolt and start'er up... this almost broke my arm, we scrapped that idea after 1 attempt.

the push mower had a pull cord and a spindle top... removed it, didn't fit properly, used a Dremmel tool to shave the sides down and it... still didn't fit properly. took the aluminum engine cover and 3 flat pieces of scrap metal about 3'' long 1'' wide...welded the scrap steel to the engine cover in a way resembling the hood ornament on a Mercedes-Benz, ran self tapping screws through the screw holes in the spindle top fastening them to the steel which now held the spindle top at the correct height over the flywheel. manually turn flywheel to the top of the compression, set engine cover contraption back on, 1 guy holds the engine cover and the brake pedal while the other man pulls the cord.

Started right up, removed the engine cover (quickly) and mowed the grass. He still started it this way until a few month ago when he bought a new riding mower.

"Nothing in this life worth having, comes EASY" - Dad

"There's a pack of wolves outside... Don't open your door. Cling tightly to your kin. We'll tear you limb from limb" - Me
Dead_Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 21:39   #396
5thgrp"C"
Quiet Professional

Super Glue

I figured I'd throw my suggestion out to the crowd. Here was my situation:

A piece of sharp heavy metal dropped onto my right foot. The bleeding was extremely bad coming from a large cut at the base of my pinky toe. Not wanting to ruin the carpet I wrapped it with a dish towel, grabbed some super glue and started by craft project in the bath tub. A major problem was the blood was flowing so fast it was literally just blowing out the super glue. So as I looked around I saw the role of Charmin Ultra Soft. By mixing the Charmin and the super glue it made a quick clot that worked perfect. After about an hour I was able to easily pull the glob of super glue/Charmin off my foot and replace it with just a super glue layer.

In a pinch that combination made a very reliable quick clot device. I hope the story was an entertaining as informative.
Old 01-04-2014, 23:33   #397
Penn
Area Commander

TR, LMAO
HTML Code:
You need a volunteer.
Classic!!!
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 23:57   #398
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgrp"C" View Post
I figured I'd throw my suggestion out to the crowd. Here was my situation:

A piece of sharp heavy metal dropped onto my right foot. The bleeding was extremely bad coming from a large cut at the base of my pinky toe. Not wanting to ruin the carpet I wrapped it with a dish towel, grabbed some super glue and started by craft project in the bath tub. A major problem was the blood was flowing so fast it was literally just blowing out the super glue. So as I looked around I saw the role of Charmin Ultra Soft. By mixing the Charmin and the super glue it made a quick clot that worked perfect. After about an hour I was able to easily pull the glob of super glue/Charmin off my foot and replace it with just a super glue layer.

In a pinch that combination made a very reliable quick clot device. I hope the story was an entertaining as informative.
THAT was both quite funny and even more informative.

If this thread is Redneck Engineering University and many of the posts would fall into 200,300, and 400 level classes, I've just got a link to something that would be 100 level redneck engineering ideas:

http://nowthatsfunnystuff.com/some-h...asier1255-932/

A couple potentially good field expedient ideas:

water bottle lantern
carabiner carry-all
pen spring(and a bit of tape) to protect vulnerable cord connections
cut up PET containers as hasty tools
bread clips for jandals(sandals)
bog roll/paper tower cardboard for holding maps
rubber band across can for painting
iPhone speaker(bog roll tube)
wet sponge frozen in a bag for a drip-proof icebag
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:32   #399
Flagg
Area Commander

Afghan redneck radiator hose repair

I saw this the other day here in Afghan and immediately thought of this thread.

http://s27.postimg.org/abwzd5o9r/20140315_150836.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/5mxzbenkn/20140315_150725.jpg

Afghan redneck radiator hose repair.

A farm tractor radiator hose with some rips/tears/holes was repaired using a thin plastic supermarket bag.

The bag is cut into a single ply thin strip and pulled very tight over heat and wrapped like tape and adheres pretty well with the heat.

Not sure how long it will last, but it looks to work pretty good and I've never seen/heard of this one before.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08   #400
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
I saw this the other day here in Afghan and immediately thought of this thread.

http://s27.postimg.org/abwzd5o9r/20140315_150836.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/5mxzbenkn/20140315_150725.jpg

Afghan redneck radiator hose repair.

A farm tractor radiator hose with some rips/tears/holes was repaired using a thin plastic supermarket bag.

The bag is cut into a single ply thin strip and pulled very tight over heat and wrapped like tape and adheres pretty well with the heat.

Not sure how long it will last, but it looks to work pretty good and I've never seen/heard of this one before.
So they wrap it with the trash bag strips then heat it up? Or is the heating done as they wrap the plastic bag around?

Nice trick too.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:49   #401
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
So they wrap it with the trash bag strips then heat it up? Or is the heating done as they wrap the plastic bag around?

Nice trick too.
Heat is applied AS it's wrapped up and carefully pulled tightly.

Looks like it might take a little practice to do it really well.

The local Pashtun tractor mechanic said he has done this many times(lack of replacement hoses and decent tape).

It looks like a balance between not pulling tight enough leaving sags/gaps and pulling too tight and ripping the plastic bag strip.

But it certainly seemed to work.

I'm going to try to find out how LONG it works(hour metre on the tractor)
Old 05-08-2014, 13:27   #402
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

Reseating a tire bead

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted. My search yielded no result.

If you've got a tire to mount on or offroad, you can do so by spraying WD-40 around the entire circumference of the tire's bead and igniting it. Is really handy if you've blown a bead offroad!

This guy does it using a small amount of WD-40 but I suspect there was more fuel in the tire than what was shown. Other flammable liquids may work as well. Be careful!

Example
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:51   #403
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

A scoop of TANG with a load of dishes will clean the inside of your dishwasher.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:41   #404
mark46th
Quiet Professional

WD 40 makes a good starting fluid for diesel engines, too...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:05   #405
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan View Post
I apologize in advance if this has already been posted. My search yielded no result.

If you've got a tire to mount on or offroad, you can do so by spraying WD-40 around the entire circumference of the tire's bead and igniting it. Is really handy if you've blown a bead offroad!

This guy does it using a small amount of WD-40 but I suspect there was more fuel in the tire than what was shown. Other flammable liquids may work as well. Be careful!

Example
I saw this technique on a show years ago when scientists were driving across the artic they had a flat and a female had a can of hairspray. Good stuffg
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote