Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 12-31-2011, 12:49   #1
grigori
Guerrilla

Are the Air Force and Special Forces the deciding factor in future conflicts?

I have read nowadays that future military conflicts between nations will be quick and the main game will be causing heavy damage as quickly as possible.

If it is correct how much is the importance of the Air Force for Air Superiority and the Special Forces in future conflicts?Also is a very high level of Joint Cooperation of high importance between the Air Force and Special Forces?

Thank You and Wishing all a very Happy New Year.
grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 16:09   #2
scooter
Quiet Professional

The Air Force is VERY important for air superiority.

Have the best day ever.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:20   #3
Sarski

Joint ops will play prime importance. The reach of all branches serving together in overlapping AOs cannot be underestimated.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:34   #4
Marauder06
Asset

I'm curious where you read that that the main effort of future conflict will to be "causing heavy damage as quickly as possible." I think that most literature and experience since WWII shows the opposite- a move towards risk aversion that stresses surgical strikes and the minimum force necessary to accomplish operational and strategic goals. If there is a body of literature out there that suggests otherwise, I'd be interested to read it for my own education.

There was serious discussion many years back about whether air power could win wars on its own. I think that theory has been completely shot down. While essential to the war effort, air power supports the main effort, which has in the past and continues to be the ground-gaining services (Army and Marine Corps). To paraphrase a favorite author of mine, if you want to win modern wars you have to do it the same way that the Roman legions did- by putting your young men in the mud. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Marauder06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 17:31   #5
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigori View Post
I have read nowadays that future military conflicts between nations will be quick and the main game will be causing heavy damage as quickly as possible.
Umm.....it occurs to me that earlier last year (2011) this was applied to a certain effort on a radical regime ISO of rebel forces. Our involvement was to be short lived, and we convinced NATO that they would shoulder most of the burden.

How long did it take to topple the Dictator who went rogue? Where are they now in so far as the rebellion gaining its goals?

How quick was it that the Iraq invasion was considered a success? What year is it now? How is Iraq doing now? How many troops are in Iraq and what units would those be?

Yeah, you might need to rethink some stuff....but that just may be my opinion.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote