Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-27-2007, 16:07   #16
jwt5
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-factor View Post
I'm surprised no one has listed thumb drives yet. Those things are absolutely vital for moving files around (especially big ones with graphics and the like). I recommend three if possible: one for unclassified/personal use, one for SIPR, and one for TS/SCI. Also, its probably stating the obvious, but I find it best to keep them on a lanyard around the neck so that you don't lose them.
I ended up buying a 2GIG thumb drive around the middle of my last deployment just for the purpose of being able to download pictures and files sent to me when I wasn't using a personal computer. As far as the TS/SCI stuff, we were issued one by our company that would get locked up if we weren't using them. I'm not sure on the rules, but if I remember correctly we weren't allowed to plug anything personal into any computer that contained anything Secret or higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim View Post
My question is what do you pack the electronics in? Link the game boxes? When you deploy how much are you allowed to take?
My last deployment we were allowed two "tough boxes" of stuff to be loaded into a cargo container that would ride the ship. Most people just placed extra hygene stuff, books, or anything else that wouldn't get damaged by the temp changes.

The electronics like laptops, cameras, MP3 players were carried on board the plane. The bigger stuff like xbox or whatever were either shipped by family/friends through the mail when we were in country, or bought online through Amazon.com or through a PX (if you were lucky enough to be close to one or have a mission where you'd be on a camp with one). Sometimes you could get lucky and buy one off a soldier who was leaving.
Old 11-27-2007, 18:09   #17
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla

Great information. I recently acquired a PSP from my wife as a going away present. The thing is awesome. Wifi, music, photos, movies. All I need is a few more memory sticks and all is good.

One question: I heard from a Marine who recently returned and works with my company that many of his fellow Marines carried machetes or kukris. Does that really fly on deployment? Are they that useful? I plan on bringing a few of my favorites, and wouldn't mind packing the kukri, but will I really need/use it?

Again, great input...I keep making my list longer.

Shawn
Old 11-27-2007, 18:44   #18
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Location: Sono qui adesso, con una lunga zampe mulatto ragazza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgedgoods View Post
One question: I heard from a Marine who recently returned and works with my company that many of his fellow Marines carried machetes or kukris. Does that really fly on deployment? Are they that useful? I plan on bringing a few of my favorites, and wouldn't mind packing the kukri, but will I really need/use it?

Again, great input...I keep making my list longer.

Shawn
Machetes and kukris = news to me.

I never saw anything that would mandate, "carrying" either of those items, when I was there. Neither of those items would be beneficial to me with regards to COIN ops; mounted/dismounted patrols, raids, combat outspots, checkpoints, or at the FOB.

Some other guys, who wanted to "get some" but weren't in an MOS to do so, might have had those sorts of things; RAMBO-esque, taking pics next to their racks for mom and dad and all, while seldom venturing outside the wire.

Some things flew on deployment, some things didn't. What flies for a Marine may not fly for you... vice versa.

I see no use for them, with regards to my operations, or overall relevance, honestly. I guess it depends on where you might be in counttry, exactly. I know in the Haditha "Triad", those items would be dead weight and worthless. Besides, I don't even know how to use a Kukris... do you? What the heck are you gonna need to cut and clear?!?

Leave the kukri at home. Save that space for something you may "pick up" over there.

My .02

P.S. Dublin...? Camp Parks?

Last edited by CosaNostraUSMC; 11-27-2007 at 18:49.
CosaNostraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 18:51   #19
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosaNostraUSMC View Post
Machetes and kukris = news to me.

I never saw anything that would mandate, "carrying" either of those items, when I was there. Neither of those items would be beneficial to me with regards to COIN ops; mounted/dismounted patrols, raids, combat outspots, checkpoints, or at the FOB.
Your bio states "Marines".... so were you a cook or truck driver?
As small as the Marines are it's still a fairly large unit.

Yeah, it makes a difference as to your point of view.

I carried a machete just about everywhere after jungle school...

Team Sergeant
Old 11-27-2007, 19:09   #20
x-factor
Guerrilla

RL - Only on this board of uber-guys could I be considered "the geeky one."

Quote:
As far as the TS/SCI stuff, we were issued one by our company that would get locked up if we weren't using them. I'm not sure on the rules, but if I remember correctly we weren't allowed to plug anything personal into any computer that contained anything Secret or higher.
Hence my recommendation on one for personal and one for work use. I should probably issue the disclaimer to consult your computer security folks about the proper procedures.

X
x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 19:56   #21
jwt5
Guerrilla

Quote:

Shawn
I kept a decent size folding knife in my pocket at all times, I also carried a Gerber multi tool (issued item) on my belt, and a small Leatherman on my vest. I also carried a straight blade on my vest slightly hidden incase I ever needed it in a hurry and can't reach my folder.

As far as the big blades I did see some walking around with them, only a few of the people were combat arms folks.

I think you should evaluate your mission and pack accordingly, but make sure to check with your chain of command first. For example, the CSM for one unit I worked with my last time over there came down with a policy forbiding anyone from having anything with a "namebrand" displayed on their vest.
Old 11-27-2007, 22:51   #22
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Location: Sono qui adesso, con una lunga zampe mulatto ragazza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Your bio states "Marines".... so were you a cook or truck driver?
As small as the Marines are it's still a fairly large unit.

Yeah, it makes a difference as to your point of view.

I carried a machete just about everywhere after jungle school...

Team Sergeant
Neither. I was a DM with L/3/7.

About the biggest tool I carried in our AO, outside of my primary wpn, was a key to doors... i.e.; bolt cutters, sledgehamer, benelli, or an AT-4.

+1 on the Leatherman tool.

I would have liked to have had, one of those Reeve/Harsey "Pacific" pieces, while I was there.

Last edited by CosaNostraUSMC; 11-27-2007 at 23:01.
CosaNostraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:17   #23
Pete S
Guerrilla

Quote:
I saw Marines over there who carried "tactical" swords attached to their packs. You would also see the occational person with a hatchet on their belt in the chow hall.
For the AO a machete isn't really needed. A sharp E-Tool is about the most you will need.

+2 on the multi tool, the uses are endless. I used mine as a ruptured cartridge extractor, scraper tool, front sight adjustment and general disassembly tool.

Last edited by Pete S; 11-28-2007 at 01:24.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:18   #24
jwt5
Guerrilla

I'm glad to see others think highly of the multi-tool. I honestly think it's the one piece of personal gear I used the most while in the Army and overseas. I prefered the Leatherman over the Gerber due to the needle nose on the pliers and the size of the other tools in the set. The Gerber I was issued felt like a cheap knockoff, but I carried because it's better to have two in my opinion.

I used my leatherman from everything from quick truck maintence, to cutting 550 cord, to taking apart my M2 (which is where the Leatherman outshined the Gerber).

Another item I just thought of is more for anyone that's going to be in a gunner position or at least a position exposed to the elements. That's good face protection. The issued Neck Gaiter was great, but would eventually stretch out. I'd recommend either buying extras or investing in some quality gear available in stores. I had a bunch of different kinds from a full face mask that looked like Hannibal Lecter, to oversized neck gaiters. Definately something good to have if you're standing in a gun turret of a M1114 hauling butt down the road at 50mph.
Old 11-28-2007, 19:17   #25
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-factor View Post
I'm surprised no one has listed thumb drives yet. Those things are absolutely vital for moving files around (especially big ones with graphics and the like). I recommend three if possible: one for unclassified/personal use, one for SIPR, and one for TS/SCI. Also, its probably stating the obvious, but I find it best to keep them on a lanyard around the neck so that you don't lose them.

I haven't mentioned thumbdrives, type of sunglasses, eyepro, mulit purpose knives, flashlights, watches etc since I'm fortunate to be in a unit where opfund, team fund or DSOR funds are used to purchase those items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim View Post
My question is what do you pack the electronics in? Link the game boxes? When you deploy how much are you allowed to take?
I have pelican boxes, or otter box for my electronics. I use an otter box for my IPOD since I can acuatlly use it inside the otter box.

The X-box and Playstation are team gear and stays in the team room. We pack a MWR box which has games, dvds, and the game systems.

As for deployment stuff, I have 4 conticos, one SFAUCC kit bag, and one carry on luggage. It pays to be the Charlie doing the load out Seriously, every man on my team is authorized all that stuff since it takes at least 2 conticos for the gear that we're issued.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 19:27   #26
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
I haven't mentioned thumbdrives, type of sunglasses, eyepro, mulit purpose knives, flashlights, watches etc since I'm fortunate to be in a unit where opfund, team fund or DSOR funds are used to purchase those items.
Well feel free to elaborate in more detail if you have the time and inclination.

Thanks everyone for your input. I hope that this thread may be of use to members getting ready to deploy. Never hurts to run the checklist one last time, and see if you have forgotten anything.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05   #27
jwt5
Guerrilla

After reading a few of the QPs posts here, I realize there is a big difference between what us "Big Army" folks bring and use and what Quiet Professionals bring and use. (No surprise)

Here's what I would recommend you bring with youfrom a "Big Army" soldier perspective:

1) Laptop
2) digital camera
3) mp3 player
4) thumbdrive
5) good pair of sunglasses
6) at least one Flashlight
7) at least one multi tool
8) gloves
9) external hard drive with movies

The other stuff like TVs, Xboxes, and the like can be either bought in country or shipped to you once you get settled in. Packages from places like Amazon.com take about 2 weeks to arrive and most of the PXs in country are well stocked, if they don't have what you want/need they can special order it and it'll take about the same time.

If you can ship stuff in your unit cargo containers, don't place anything mission specific or anything you'll need right away because you won't see the containers for somewhere between a month to 4 months after you get to your FOB.

Also, when you first get in country you'll be moving around a lot and busy signing for equipment and what not, so I would say the less stuff you have. the better.

If you'd like specific name brands TR, I can rummage through my stuff and edit this post to reflect your request.

Last edited by jwt5; 11-29-2007 at 01:24. Reason: Trimmed the fat from the post
jwt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:37   #28
Razor
Quiet Professional

How are you guys securing your more valuable stuff to keep it from "walking off" when you're not around?

Are there any opinions on comfort/effectiveness/durability of the non-Oakley ballistic sunglasses you find in the PX (Revision Sawflys, ESS Flybys/Recons, the Wiley-X line)?

Are you encrypting your unclass flash drives? What software are you using for this? How are they holding up with the heat, sand and shock?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45   #29
Cold Steel
Asset

I picked up a 10 cup Thermos on leave halfway through deployment and it was one of the best comforts I had in-country. Great for coffee and chai on guard duty, a nice pick me up treat while on missions, and was able to make a local guard very happy by presenting it to him when my time was up.
it plucks the tiger’s eyes out with its claws.
To stop the stone the shepherd might throw down
to crush its head, the viper bites, and lives.’” --from Saadi’s Gulistan
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 17:22   #30
jwt5
Guerrilla

From a "big Army" soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
How are you guys securing your more valuable stuff to keep it from "walking off" when you're not around?
We had one of those really big black boxes and if we were leaving the FOB for an extended period we would lock all our valubles up in said box (each team had one) and we would lock it in the arms room. If we were only leaving the FOB for a few hours or so, we would just keep our stuff locked up in the wall lockers we had available in our "barracks".

Quote:
Are there any opinions on comfort/effectiveness/durability of the non-Oakley ballistic sunglasses you find in the PX (Revision Sawflys, ESS Flybys/Recons, the Wiley-X line)?
I honestly only tried the Oakleys, ESS and Wiley-X and I liked the ESS the best. I found I could wear them while in the turret and wouldn't have to worry about wind or sand getting in my eyes.

But nothing beats those issue sunglasses they used to give out before the Wiley-X swimming goggles.

Quote:
Are you encrypting your unclass flash drives? What software are you using for this? How are they holding up with the heat, sand and shock?
My personal thumbdrive was never encrypted mostly because all I had on there were photos and emails I had typed up on my laptop to send out at the internet cafe. As far as holding up, I had this one thumbdrive for about 8 months while in country and I still have it. Unfortuntately the name has been scratched off so I can't pass on the brand...