Old 04-02-2016, 05:35   #46
Richard
Quiet Professional

An open letter from GOP foreign policy and national security leaders inre to a Donald J. Trump Presidency published 2 Mar 2016. The letter was coordinated by Eliot Cohen, a well-known 'hawk' within the GOP, a DOS counselor during the GWB Administration, and a professor at Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies. The letter is signed by 121 widely known members of those Republican communities.

Richard

We the undersigned, members of the Republican national security community, represent a broad spectrum of opinion on America’s role in the world and what is necessary to keep us safe and prosperous. We have disagreed with one another on many issues, including the Iraq war and intervention in Syria. But we are united in our opposition to a Donald Trump presidency. Recognizing as we do, the conditions in American politics that have contributed to his popularity, we nonetheless are obligated to state our core objections clearly:
  • His vision of American influence and power in the world is wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle. He swings from isolationism to military adventurism within the space of one sentence.
  • His advocacy for aggressively waging trade wars is a recipe for economic disaster in a globally connected world.
  • His embrace of the expansive use of torture is inexcusable.
  • His hateful, anti-Muslim rhetoric undercuts the seriousness of combating Islamic radicalism by alienating partners in the Islamic world making significant contributions to the effort. Furthermore, it endangers the safety and Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms of American Muslims.
  • Controlling our border and preventing illegal immigration is a serious issue, but his insistence that Mexico will fund a wall on the southern border inflames unhelpful passions, and rests on an utter misreading of, and contempt for, our southern neighbor.
  • Similarly, his insistence that close allies such as Japan must pay vast sums for protection is the sentiment of a racketeer, not the leader of the alliances that have served us so well since World War II.
  • His admiration for foreign dictators such as Vladimir Putin is unacceptable for the leader of the world’s greatest democracy.
  • He is fundamentally dishonest. Evidence of this includes his attempts to deny positions he has unquestionably taken in the past, including on the 2003 Iraq war and the 2011 Libyan conflict. We accept that views evolve over time, but this is simply misrepresentation.
  • His equation of business acumen with foreign policy experience is false. Not all lethal conflicts can be resolved as a real estate deal might, and there is no recourse to bankruptcy court in international affairs.
Mr. Trump’s own statements lead us to conclude that as president, he would use the authority of his office to act in ways that make America less safe, and which would diminish our standing in the world. Furthermore, his expansive view of how presidential power should be wielded against his detractors poses a distinct threat to civil liberty in the United States. Therefore, as committed and loyal Republicans, we are unable to support a Party ticket with Mr. Trump at its head. We commit ourselves to working energetically to prevent the election of someone so utterly unfitted to the office.

http://warontherocks.com/2016/03/ope...urity-leaders/
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:00   #47
akv
Area Commander

FWIW I'm seeing similar things in the Bay Area. Folks regardless of their political views are registering as Republicans for the California primary to try and stop Trump.

I suppose this benefits Mr. Cruz.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:04   #48
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
FWIW I'm seeing similar things in the Bay Area. Folks regardless of their political views are registering as Republicans for the California primary to try and stop Trump.

I suppose this benefits Mr. Cruz.
Right and left working together in common cause.
Trump is such a unifier!
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 22:03   #49
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills View Post
will deal our country into the next depression.
We never finished off the depression we have been in for the past 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Eliot Cohen
Sounds like Eliot Cohen is the pot calling teh kettle black, he wants illegal immigration to continue and would like to continue pussy footing with the Religion of Peace. Weren't Water Boarding and enhanced interrogation methods during the GWB administration? John McCain was photographed hanging with ISIS. Did the US Carpet Bomb Desden in WWII???

I would be curious to know what is at risk financially for Eliot Cohen and his cronies with a President Trump calling the shots? Could it be something like the Body Scanner scam pulled off by Michael Chertoff?

Last edited by Paslode; 04-02-2016 at 22:25.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 14:39   #50
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

POLITICS?????

SO HOW IS HOPE AND CHANGE WORKING FOR EVERYBODY: ??????

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME EXAMPLES.

REGARD'S,

TOM KELLY
Old 04-03-2016, 16:40   #51
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
SO HOW IS HOPE AND CHANGE WORKING FOR EVERYBODY: ??????
That's a great question. I had an opinion about what kind of president the current Emperor-Wannabe might turn out as. But figured I'd give him some time, 'cause he said:

"You want to know what kind of president I'll be? Just watch the kind of people I surround myself with." So we got:

Fast & Furious; the IRS; stupidly-run & expensive socialized medicine; EPA-stapo; Benghazi; the VA; BLM land grabs; Solyndra; OPM; SECSTATE email-gate; a shitty nuke deal with an arch-enemy; the VA (the other one, the data leak) and, oh boy!, there's still 9 months to go. But, hey, he sure fired back when his Sony Hollywood buddies were attacked.

All in all, I can say that he truly lived down to my expectations.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 19:21   #52
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
Sounds like Eliot Cohen is the pot calling teh kettle black...
Doesn't read that way to me - more of a mea culpa in that 'we' (they) understand how the Republican Party came to creating a Trump and, in spite of their many disagreements over policy, agree on one thing - a Trump administration is not 'the answer' to either the 'Party's' or the nation's ails.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 19:58   #53
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Doesn't read that way to me - more of a mea culpa in that 'we' (they) understand how the Republican Party came to creating a Trump and, in spite of their many disagreements over policy, agree on one thing - a Trump administration is not 'the answer' to either the 'Party's' or the nation's ails.

Richard
I am betting they are only worried about what happens to their investment profolio.

We will agree to disagree.
Old 04-03-2016, 21:39   #54
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
I am betting they are only worried about what happens to their investment profolio.

We will agree to disagree.
Not to sink to the gutter in terms of your favorite candidate............

But you seem to be delusional. We can agree to disagree, as I did support him in a modest fashion.

Until.............He destroyed Dr. Ben Carson when his poll numbers were rising last year. Equating him as a pathological person, similar to a child molester, all whilst mocking the mans religious beliefs.

That did it for me, and then to see the man come full circle and endorse him made me realize that the man wants nothing more than to have it both ways.

But hey.........I guess it was "lyin teds fault" that Ben got destroyed in Iowa.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:23   #55
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:

Richard
Richard,

The Group that published the anti-Trump letter are, for the most part, the Neo-Conservatives that led the Bush Administration from Afghanistan to Iraq. As a group they have yet to encounter a crisis (real or imagined) where war is not the answer, and sending your kid to fight for freedom is not the result.

The Trump letter is not the first from this group, but is probably the strongest in protest to protect their interests, and keep their collective rice bowls full. When they say they are not always in agreement, their mean the amount of their speaking fees.

These second tier wanna bees include the best of the Harvard brigade, who were members of the The Project for the New American Century,( later called The Foreign Policy Initiative.) Their new venture is the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, who are currently doing their best to start WWIII in Syria (open letter to Obama from 60 some of these "happy warriors")

SnT

http://www.defenddemocracy.org/media...o-establish-s/

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:14   #56
Box
Quiet Professional

that open letter means less than dick to me...
...like the way repuiblicans took it to obama when he claimed he was going to invade into pakistan - republicans didnt mind that degree of adventurism
...nor did they mind all of that red line we cant cross bullshit
...nor did they mind drone strikes in other countries

Those shit sticks have had seven years to put an argument together and they wait until their political control comfort zone is intruded upon.
The USA in general and the entire republican party specifically deserve another Clinton presidency.
Its WE the mother fucking people not ME the mother fucking people. A wise man once said that, "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

There are too many ME the peoples in this country that are too worried about what the government can do for them. MY minimum wage, MY free health care, MY tuition... and yes, MY gun rights, MY taxes, MY religious freedoms.
WE the people have become a bunch of spoiled brats. Conservatives and Liberals alike. aMErica has become a functioning alcoholic that needs to hit rick bottom before they see how fucking pathetic we have become. Even the military has reached tha point.
Think not?
...how many of you have ever been told if you DONT give a guy a PCS or deployment award that you have to submit a memorandum explaining why?
...everyone gets a trophy. Even the military.

President Obama and Harry Reid both hit the nail on the head when they said it was republican leadership that has created Donald Trump and now the republicans are sad. Well, to to paraphrase Tiny Tim...
...fuck the republicans, everyone

I am pretty certain that if the republicans nominate any one but Cruz or Trump at this point I will be voting for a third party candidate.
...or I may just stay home and watch South Park.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:33   #57
tim180a
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
that open letter means less than dick to me...
...like the way repuiblicans took it to obama when he claimed he was going to invade into pakistan - republicans didnt mind that degree of adventurism
...nor did they mind all of that red line we cant cross bullshit
...nor did they mind drone strikes in other countries

Those shit sticks have had seven years to put an argument together and they wait until their political control comfort zone is intruded upon.
The USA in general and the entire republican party specifically deserve another Clinton presidency.
Its WE the mother fucking people not ME the mother fucking people. A wise man once said that, "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

There are too many ME the peoples in this country that are too worried about what the government can do for them. MY minimum wage, MY free health care, MY tuition... and yes, MY gun rights, MY taxes, MY religious freedoms.
WE the people have become a bunch of spoiled brats. Conservatives and Liberals alike. aMErica has become a functioning alcoholic that needs to hit rick bottom before they see how fucking pathetic we have become. Even the military has reached tha point.
Think not?
...how many of you have ever been told if you DONT give a guy a PCS or deployment award that you have to submit a memorandum explaining why?
...everyone gets a trophy. Even the military.

President Obama and Harry Reid both hit the nail on the head when they said it was republican leadership that has created Donald Trump and now the republicans are sad. Well, to to paraphrase Tiny Tim...
...fuck the republicans, everyone

I am pretty certain that if the republicans nominate any one but Cruz or Trump at this point I will be voting for a third party candidate.
...or I may just stay home and watch South Park.

My sentiments exactly!
tim180a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:11   #58
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf n Turf View Post
The Group that published the anti-Trump letter are, for the most part, the Neo-Conservatives that led the Bush Administration from Afghanistan to Iraq. As a group they have yet to encounter a crisis (real or imagined) where war is not the answer, and sending your kid to fight for freedom is not the result.

It appears many of the people on the list are alleged dual citizens as well as neocons.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:20   #59
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Richard
But an incompetent, liar, Yale racist is? Spare me, I cant wait to see Mr. Trump rip the guts out of the current administrations policies, especially on illegal border crossers.

There's a reason folks like me are pissed, we'd just like the laws of America enforced, you know the ones that make crossing our border a crime.

I too believe in immigration, legal immigration.

I'll be voting for Mr. Trump if only for that very reason. And I really hope he eviscerates the current corrupt political "system".
Old 04-04-2016, 12:30   #60
Box
Quiet Professional

DT is a better option than Clinton
DT is a better option than sanders
He could be the worst POTUS ever, but still a better option than the Punch and Judy democrats
DT is absolutely the answer to the republican party and its ills.
There is nothing better than DT for the republican party.
The RNC should be soaked in Clorox until they have been completely disinfected.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote