Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 01-23-2010, 16:42   #31
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by olhamada View Post
Ok, here's what my contact just wrote. Any ideas are appreciated!
I'd go to Drager corp and ask if they want some cheap PR for humanitarian work..

They may jump at the chance..

Quote:
Customer Service & Support
Dräger Service Call center

We appreciate your business and want to provide outstanding and excellent customer service! For more information, please contact our customer service and support representatives by phone or fax.

To e-mail us please use our contact form:
http://www.draeger.com/US/en_US/comm...ributor.action

Or call:

Draeger Medical Inc.
3135 Quarry Road
Telford, PA 18969
General Operator
Phone: +1 215 721 5400
Fax: +1 215 723-5935
Dräger Service Triage Center
Phone: 1-800-437-2437 (Hours of Operation: 24x7)
Then I'd try the airlines: AA, Air France, Virgin......

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 18:15   #32
olhamada
Guerrilla

Thanks JJ BPK - will give it a shot.
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 13:23   #33
regular guy
Asset

For the guys going as 'consultants'

Just got some intel regarding that country. If you are heading over, you probably know more than I do, but if it keeps one guy 'safe', then it's worth it.

Quote from an email I received:

“Please tell your men "experts" are quietly having there people double up on masks, eye protection, GLOVES, and recommending protecting their bodies - such as keeping sleeves rolled down no matter how hot it is - because Haiti is such an AIDS infested environment.

Cuts, bodily fluids, lots of human contact; security guys need to take extra precautions.”

'I personally recommend getting some kind of Kevlar knife resistant type gloves as you may have to clear debris along the way just to do your job or to carve out a place to live…'

Here are a few websites that have equipment checklists… you may want to peruse these lists for some equipment ideas or to develop a tailored personal list.

http://www.1srg.org/Contributed-Mate...ompilation.pdf

http://fourriversk9team.org/Document...0Checklist.pdf

http://www.vdem.state.va.us/programs...ipment.cfm#ftm

http://www.vdem.state.va.us/programs/sar/equipment.cfm

Finally, there is much more out there if you have time to research, this is just a quick search on the topic, but bringing your own set of tools, small cutting supplies (circular saw and or saws all), and thinking through some “what if’s” using some of these guides may go a long way if you have another quake. Know some basic knots (square knot, and bowline are two for sure) Also, be aware of the possibility of large gangs or just simply hordes of people that may want what you have... have a plan for self defense as well as an E&E plan wherever you are living…

Good luck and stay safe. RG.
regular guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 21:40   #34
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1 View Post
Good idea on the radio.

USB jack to recharge cell phone...I guess I would need some kind of adaptor to connect to my phone. Radio Shack , or similiar , would have these.

Solar chargers seem to have a battery attached and lots of different connectors. Simply charge the battery and plug it into your phone...Should fully re-charge you cell in a short time. Unplug and recharge the battery on the solar charger. Cell phone is detached and ready to go.
None really work as advertised. They are very slow to charge in even bright equatorial sunlight. I have been disappointed with every major model currently for sale.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 21:50   #35
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
None really work as advertised. They are very slow to charge in even bright equatorial sunlight. I have been disappointed with every major model currently for sale.
I agree.

One the size of a briefcase MIGHT charge a few small batteries.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 15:06   #36
olhamada
Guerrilla

Here's the link to what we're doing.

http://www.fellowshipnashville.org/c...nnounceId=5744
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 13:31   #37
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

two cents

One of my colleges passed on some information from two of his friends who've just returned from Haiti. His words, "Conditions are as barbaric as it gets. There's nothing to work with, no anesthesia, no tools, no hardware, horrid conditions to operate. We're doing amputations with nothing and hoping for the best, it's all you can do."
It sounds like everything from nuts to bolts is needed. Being proficient at regional blocks would be a plus. Being able to give the families wound supplies would be helpful. It's got to be overwhelming trying to put something like this together.
You're getting some great recommendations, things I haven't considered. Thanks for doing this. Good luck.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 22:36   #38
LR27
Auxiliary

Security

I just read a weapons policy for USG personnel having to get permits approved by the COM, but no one has said anything about civilians. Has anyone heard anything definite on private security bringing weapons into Port au-Prince?

I'm heading down at the end of the month, and I am wondering whether I should just settle with concealing my Kimber TLE/RL II, or if I should risk bringing a 12 gauge or an AR.

Thoughts?

"Selection is a never ending process." - Anonymous Special Operations soldier
LR27 is offline   Reply With Quote