Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 05-26-2011, 18:45   #1
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Pelican Intruder 12' Jon Boat

Anyone have any experience with these. I was going to get a canoe. But with the kid I think a Jon Boat would be better.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...ductId=2131684
Old 05-26-2011, 21:24   #2
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Where are you going to fish? Flat water, a jon boat is pretty handy. You can stick an electric trolling motor and one deep cycle battery in the boat and go fish for an afternoon. But, if you get into anything with current and splash, a canoe w/o keel is the way to go.

I have spent a lot of time in a jon boat, but not one made out of composite. That would be nice regarding weight. Remember, composites break down in sunlight, so you need to have a place to store it out of the sun.

Another thing to consider as well is transportation. If you have a jon boat, with motor, and gear, you are getting close to needing a trailer. Conversely, I have a rack for my pickup bed for my canoes. I can load two boats by myself, and still use the bed for hauling.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:23   #3
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

I just throw them into the back of my truck, then hook up a trolling motor. Its all pond fishing. What surprised me is the pelican Boats weigh more then the metal ones.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:40   #4
wet dog

First hand experience

The Pelican is a good choice for what you're doing.

An aluminum boat is less expensive and lighter, but gets "hotter" in direct sun light, also bright glare makes for uncomfortable children and difficult fishing.

Dads/kids/coolers, enough space to be managable, able to keep an eye on things and small kids safe.

The Pelican will fade in time, but will remain durable. Seasonal storage space, keep it covered and dry.

At some point you will want a canoe just for yourself, until then, enjoy.

How old is your youngest? Look for a used one, you might only want one only for a season or two.
Old 05-27-2011, 13:01   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Down here on the rock, the Carolina Skiff gets a lot of air time. They are built with 5-6 inches of rigid foam in the bottom, unsinkable. BUT they are flat bottom and in any chop they are wet and will beat your butt.

The J Series..

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/j.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CarolinaSkiff12.jpg (28.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg carolina_skiff.jpg (95.1 KB, 42 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 05-27-2011 at 13:08.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 13:07   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Had a lot of fun bass fishing out of a Pelican. Quieter than my Lowe's Aluminum.
Old 05-27-2011, 16:47   #7
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

With a 15 month old. Ill probably get a Pelican. Oh yes, I'm buying a canoe also. Dicks has them for under $300.
Old 05-27-2011, 17:11   #8
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Canoe.

I know a couple of decent trout streams/rivers where a canoe is a great way to fish for two here in the east like the McKenzie is out west. It sounds like you have it covered.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 17:19   #9
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
With a 15 month old. Ill probably get a Pelican. Oh yes, I'm buying a canoe also. Dicks has them for under $300.
Nice, would it be a Pelican also?

Once the little one is in college, check out http://www.wooden-canoes.com/index

Last edited by wet dog; 05-27-2011 at 17:25.
Old 05-27-2011, 17:31   #10
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Probably not. With the Canoe ill just grab a Colman. I won't be canoing in any white water. Waiting for the Fly Fishing stuff to arrive. Should be here today. Ill post a pic of what I bought.
Old 05-27-2011, 17:39   #11
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Nice, would it be a Pelican also?

Once the little one is in college, check out http://www.wooden-canoes.com/index
When I was a kid we had a Wooden ribbed Canoe. Fly Fishing on a lake in one of those in the Summer evening. Priceless.
Old 05-27-2011, 18:28   #12
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
When I was a kid we had a Wooden ribbed Canoe. Fly Fishing on a lake in one of those in the Summer evening. Priceless.
They are nice. Nothing quite like the sound of water on natural materials.

Seems like it was meant to be that way, you'll enjoy the Pelican line, both boat and canoe.

Now if we can just get the rest of the world to lay down their weapons and take up rabbit and chicken farming.
Old 05-27-2011, 19:01   #13
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post

Now if we can just get the rest of the world to lay down their weapons and take up rabbit and chicken farming.
Off topic but I remember as a kid we raised the BIG white rabbits with the pink/red eyes both for food and to sell to others. We also had chickens, an occasional milk cow or pig, and a few goats at one time. We always had the chickens though.

Last edited by alelks; 05-27-2011 at 19:04.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 19:07   #14
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
Off topic but I remember as a kid we raised the BIG white rabbits with the pink/red eyes both for food and to sell to others. We also had chickens, an occasional milk cow or pig, and a few goats at one time. We always had the chickens though.
To bring it back on target: I used to fish Yates' pond in my Pelican. Right down the road from your place.
Old 05-27-2011, 19:12   #15
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
Off topic but I remember as a kid we raised the BIG white rabbits with the pink/red eyes both for food and to sell to others. We also had chickens, an occasional milk cow, pig, goats.
Not a bad way to grow up. More kids in the inner cities should be raising rabbits. Good healthy meat, extra money for mom. Better then playing Zombie games.

I had a cousin who lived South Manhatten NY, (17th Ave.), raised rooftop pigeons just to feed his Red-Tailed Hawk, which he flew in Central Park. People would watch a bird take a rabbit in the bushes, say, "How cool was that?". He'd say "Up girl" with a whistle command, and the bird would take flight to his wrist. Then the folks would say, "How could you kill a helpless rabbit?" His reply was always, "I didn't, but she did and we eat together, rabbit and cream of mushroom soup."