Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 12-19-2016, 07:20   #16
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Heeehehe The motivation to survive!
Quote:
still need paddle back-ups
A sport where the phrase "1 is none 2 is one" comes to mind.

One of the largest kayak symposiums in the country: https://www.ccprc.com/2036/Exhibitors-Vendors

It is a good place to try out different boats from the different vendors. One might check, my recollection is that the classes and trips cost money, I didn't think the Vendors Village costs anything?, but I would check before going *. The Charleston Recreation Department hosts the event and they run a great operation! James Island is just one of their locations and well worth knowing about.

Edit:* https://www.ccprc.com/1542/Charleston-Outdoor-Fest

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 12-19-2016 at 07:24.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:22   #17
Swoop
Quiet Professional

NUCANOE

I have been contemplating a "NUCANOE" reportedly one of the most stable hybrid kayaks on the market. Also comes in tandem models.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:55   #18
tonyz
Area Commander

That Nucanoe looks very good - have tried a Native kayak in the past and it was very comfortable for all day paddling - seat was the most comfortable in the business. Paddling was on rivers not open ocean or bays.

Thinking of pulling the trigger next year.

http://nativewatercraft.com

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:05   #19
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I would suggest you spent time with google foo. There are literally hundreds of make/model to choose from.

A lot depends on your style and the waters you plan to ply. I had a Hobie Quest. It is wider than most for stability, but the width also does not make it fast nor easy to paddle. (see ruff pic)

Attach 2nd pic is a friend that poles his Yak,, from a platform,, You gotta know that is not the norm..
Thanks--I have been looking through google--just wondered if anyone had any recommendations from personal experience.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:51   #20
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSalsa View Post
Thanks--I have been looking through google--just wondered if anyone had any recommendations from personal experience.
You need both,, homework & friends with experience..

In my case,, I went to a fair size multi-brand dealer, who did back country tours for the Yankee tourista tree huggers visiting the Keys.. Great people with lots of experience,, I had sent people there from the dive shop I worked at.. Talked to the owners wife and was invited to a "locals" deal.. Their shop was 70 miles up the road..

As I am of the robust physique personage,, My 1st question, when shown the #1 Must Have Model,, was what is the weight limit,, drew a blank stare from the owner..

Fortunately, I did my home work and purchased what I needed,, it was the 2nd Must Have Model..

As to loads,, a caution..

In talking to friends I was encouraged to get the highest load limit I could comfortable handle. The physics,, the bigger the Yak, the more displacement, and larger load,,, BUT the size starts to erode the ease of usage, read more fatigue rowing..

Most single SOT Yaks run the 250-350 lb class, doubles run 350-550. I ended up with the Hobie with a 450 LB load limit.

I was less than 1/2 the load. When you throw in the gear, you quickly realize the water line is getting to close to the top of the gunnel..

If you plan calm water lakes & ponds, not a problem. If you think you may hit a 1-2 ft chop,, Problem... In Florida's coastal saltwater you stand 70% chance every day of getting a chop for some part of your trip.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:25   #21
abc_123
Quiet Professional

I'm 230lbs. My kayak has 450lb weight capacity. (Malibu Stealth 12). Had some 10kt winds and a chop yesterday paddling across some open water to get to where I wanted to fish and I'm glad I had the freeboard that I did. Weight capacity is also related to the width (stability) of the kayak. I read reviews and although there were wider/more stable yaks at around the same price, I didn't want to be paddling a barge or one with such high sides that it would be a big problem in winds. This one seemed to be in the middle of the road. It's my first kayak, so I just pulled the trigger and figure now I need to get on the water and get first hand experience.

Edit to add: Also be mindful of the weight of the yak. Are you putting it in the back of a truck or are you putting it on a rack on the roof of your car? Or do you plan on getting a trailer for it.... just something to think about.

Fished Ft Desoto Park yesterday. (first time). Went at dead low tide but didn't care. Put in right past the entrance where you pay (St Jean key). Paddled across Mullet Key Bayou to Soldier's Hole fished a bit until a herd of people in rental kayaks just descended and proceeded to paddle along the shorelines scaring fish. So back out and across the bayou I went past my put in point and with the tide coming in I could now paddle over the shallow grass flats past Barbie key where fish were feeding.. jumping clear out of the water.

Caught a couple trout like the one in the attached pic on an artificial shrimp w/o a cork. Drove past the Fort without stopping. Had two 12" rifled mortar batteries, at one point having 4ea per pit (super crowded design later reduced to 2ea per pit to speed reloading). Now on display are the only 4ea M1890 M1 12" mortars in existence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161220_142034.jpg (35.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Ft Desoto.jpg (54.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by abc_123; 12-21-2016 at 01:34.
abc_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 19:49   #22
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Some interesting hulls even saw a selfbailer. If I ever get back to the South Eastern Coast I would like to go to some of the Florida clear water springs. In some of the images a friend showed me you couldn't really tell what was going on the fish looked like they were flying, the attached image was as close as I could find. There are also some of the worlds best beaches St Joseph's and St George Beaches were always on my list. Take advantage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fl clear water springs.jpg (164.0 KB, 37 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:55   #23
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Gator Trout

Still focusing on Trout using artificials. Trying to figure out the whole tide, weather, location, lure color/presentation, so I'm just focusing on the easiest to catch tasty fish that I can.

I think that I am getting the artificial shrimp presentation figured out.

Now the whole landing fish in a Kayak and figuring out what to do with everything and where to put it and how to reach it...without it being a Chinese fire drill, well that's still a work in progress.

For the record... JJ, you were right. Braided fishing line is a PITA! However it does help if you use your nails and rub off the slick coating at the end before trying to tie mono/flouro leader onto it. I figured that out after probably hours of entertainment trying to tie knots with it.

Anyway, I went out yesterday for about an hour to fish the flats. Incoming tide, 62deg and overcast. Using an artificial shrimp (redish sparkly color) 2-2.5' behind a fluorescent orange Cajun thunder popping cork. After catching this guy I basically started working my way back to my put in point. 1/2 of him made a great dinner last night, and the other half was my breakfast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gator Trout- Small.jpg (49.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20170129_152810.jpg (66.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20170129_195802.jpg (72.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20161220_160459.jpg (71.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by abc_123; 01-30-2017 at 09:07.
abc_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:10   #24
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
After catching this guy I basically started working my way back to my put in point. 1/2 of him made a great dinner last night, and the other half was my breakfast.
Excelente, buen trabajo ..

Old 01-30-2017, 09:26   #25
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Excelente, buen trabajo ..
Thanks! I posted a pic of my put in because I believe I can trust you guys not to steal my spot. Lol.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:49   #26
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Nice rig! The dinner looks excellent!!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:31   #27
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks! I posted a pic of my put in because I believe I can trust you guys not to steal my spot. Lol.
To late..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish.jpg (65.3 KB, 34 views)

Old 01-30-2017, 12:10   #28
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
I'm 230lbs. My kayak has 450lb weight capacity. (Malibu Stealth 12). Had some 10kt winds and a chop yesterday paddling across some open water to get to where I wanted to fish and I'm glad I had the freeboard that I did. Weight capacity is also related to the width (stability) of the kayak. I read reviews and although there were wider/more stable yaks at around the same price, I didn't want to be paddling a barge or one with such high sides that it would be a big problem in winds. This one seemed to be in the middle of the road. It's my first kayak, so I just pulled the trigger and figure now I need to get on the water and get first hand experience.

Edit to add: Also be mindful of the weight of the yak. Are you putting it in the back of a truck or are you putting it on a rack on the roof of your car? Or do you plan on getting a trailer for it.... just something to think about.

Fished Ft Desoto Park yesterday. (first time). Went at dead low tide but didn't care. Put in right past the entrance where you pay (St Jean key). Paddled across Mullet Key Bayou to Soldier's Hole fished a bit until a herd of people in rental kayaks just descended and proceeded to paddle along the shorelines scaring fish. So back out and across the bayou I went past my put in point and with the tide coming in I could now paddle over the shallow grass flats past Barbie key where fish were feeding.. jumping clear out of the water.

Caught a couple trout like the one in the attached pic on an artificial shrimp w/o a cork. Drove past the Fort without stopping. Had two 12" rifled mortar batteries, at one point having 4ea per pit (super crowded design later reduced to 2ea per pit to speed reloading). Now on display are the only 4ea M1890 M1 12" mortars in existence.
Love Ft. Desoto! You were in some good fishing grounds. A couple of years ago I was in a kayak in Mullet Key Bayou in about 5 feet of water when a an adult manatee swam at breakneck full-speed underneath me. I've never seen that happen, ever, and can only attribute it to a threat somewhere close. Also not that it involved kayaks, but one of the coolest fishing I've seen in quite come time, occurred when I was hanging out on Egmont Key (just across the channel from Fort Desoto) and watched a small flotilla of boats hooking into a school of Tarpon, right in the channel. That was cool.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:13   #29
FILO
Guerrilla

DP
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:22   #30
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO View Post
Love Ft. Desoto! You were in some good fishing grounds. A couple of years ago I was in a kayak in Mullet Key Bayou in about 5 feet of water when a an adult manatee swam at breakneck full-speed underneath me. I've never seen that happen, ever, and can only attribute it to a threat somewhere close. Also not that it involved kayaks, but one of the coolest fishing I've seen in quite come time, occurred when I was hanging out on Egmont Key (just across the channel from Fort Desoto) and watched a small flotilla of boats hooking into a school of Tarpon, right in the channel. That was cool.
I'm not the brightest lightbulb, but when I am somewhere and see and hear herds of pelicans dive bombing the water and I can see and hear fish jumping out of the water about 1 every 20sec - 2min, it makes me want to spend some time there fishing.