Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Asia

Old 06-17-2015, 10:14   #1
mojaveman
Area Commander

Kamikaze survivors debunk sterotype in stories of sacrifice

Interesting read and kind of refutes the myth somewhat.

http://news.yahoo.com/kamikaze-survi...93537540.html#

Last edited by mojaveman; 06-17-2015 at 11:14.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:38   #2
SPEC4
Guerrilla

Kamikaze

Good read, I hate it when the enemy is "humanized" .

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:00   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

How dare anyone strive to revise the "History" we grew up being taught.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:03   #4
mark46th
Quiet Professional

My dad was in the Navy in the Pacific during WWII. I don't know if he was in a battle that involved kamikaze or not, he never spoke much about his service. But I don't feel ANY sympathy for this guy. The japanese at that time were murderous monsters. If you feel sorry for him or empathize with him, read about the Rape of Nanking, the Bataan Death March (A family friend survived the march) or any other of the atrocities committed by the Japanese during the war. I realize, of course, that Japan is one of our great allies and trade partners, but it wasn't always so.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:16   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
But I don't feel ANY sympathy for this guy.
I don't think anybody is asking anyone to sympathize with these men or their cause, but to consider how complex the situation they faced was and how complex war is for any of its participants.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 14:35   #6
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

WAR?

TODAY, LESS THAN .5% OF THE U S POPULATION IS IN THE MILITARY. THE NUMBER OF SOF PERSONAL IS FEW, POINT BEING IS THAT SOF PERSONAL WHO HAVE VOLUNTARILY JOINED A SPECIAL OPERATIONS UNIT AND DEPLOY TO COMBAT MISSIONS TIME AFTER TIME SOME EVEN IN DOUBLE DIGIT FIGURES HAVE TAKEN ON THE BURDEN FOR THE REMAINING 99.95 %......GOD BLESS THEM FOR THEIR COMMITMENT TO DUTY.

TOM KELLY.
Old 06-24-2015, 21:06   #7
PSM
Area Commander

Interesting coincidence last night. Since we don't have broadcast, cable, or Sat TV, we watch mostly Netflix. Last night I watched a Criminal Minds episode and, at the end, a girl commits suicide with a knife, much like seppuku. The camera craned up and back and passed a cherry tree and the petals were falling.

Quote:
Falling cherry blossoms
never come back.

Like a falling cherry blossom,
ohka pilot will never return.
Ohka means cherry blossom.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 06-26-2015 at 22:23. Reason: Translation.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:14   #8
mark46th
Quiet Professional

No No! Not the dreaded Haiku!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 21:17   #9
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I don't think anybody is asking anyone to sympathize with these men or their cause, but to consider how complex the situation they faced was and how complex war is for any of its participants.

Richard
Good point sir. I recall as a kid reading "Samurai!" by Saburo Sakai, who ended up being their top surviving ace. They were taking the ranks of their best operational pilots as well - since we had pushed them back to their last stand. He also couldn't find his target (obscured) and RTB'd. Then he rushed home to try to interrupt his young wife, who knew he'd taken off and vowed that day to commit seppuku. He was successful at that, but even as a kid it made me ponder what kind of mindset would take a premier operational pilot to that point. That helped to harden a view of what can happen with figurative lemmings and the dogma of what drives them.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:35   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
How dare anyone strive to revise the "History" we grew up being taught.

Richard
Have you lived in Japan? Dated the locals maybe? Surprising that they know very little about WWII and what they do know is extremely inaccurate.
Nasty little bastards should be apologizing for the sex slaves and the rapes of millions of women. I agree the real history should be exposed and some put in prison/executed.