Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 08-12-2015, 07:57   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
TR,

Can I get an update on your Kohler? After almost 4 years off-grid, I've finally decided to add an automatic gennie. The 8kw LP Kohler is what the solar guy is recommending and it seems to fit the bill. Ours is going to be dual purpose, auto charge if the batts drop below a certain voltage, and whole house if we need to service the solar system. We are using a Generac portable now but I know nothing about the Kohlers except what he said and the online reviews.

We have only had one total shut down of the solar system plus two precautionary manual switchovers so it's just precautionary. This year has been touchy, though, because we have had many overcast days which is very unusual.

Pat
Pat

The Kohler continues to run well and provide seamless power, on a ten-second delay.

I concur with your solar guy, as most people do not consider what they are going to do when they need power and the sun is not out or it has been a cloudy several days, or the winter sun is not enough for your needs.

The eight KW Kohler should be a good way to meet sudden needs, deal with larger requirements, or to recharge the battery bank after depletion when solar is not adequate to meet those demands.

I have changed the oil in mine to synthetic, added a better oil filter, and have run it on exercise every week. It has run on outages as long as eight hours without any difficulty. I have close to 100 hours on it now and am very satisfied.

Just be aware that it is going to burn a gallon or so of propane every hour it is on, so if you are all charged up and have no immediate demands, turn it off.

Hope that helps.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025

Last edited by The Reaper; 08-12-2015 at 15:22. Reason: Edited because I added to my original reply. TR
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:12   #17
craigepo
Quiet Professional

We have two Honda portables that we use, with a slave cable to increase voltage, on the farm and with the big horse trailer. Really good pieces of gear, as long as you have gas for them (which was a small oversight by me last winter).

When building the new house, I had the electrician set me up for 400 amp service. I also had him hook up a plug at the outside electric strut, next to the service-off lever. I'm planning to buy a PTO-operated generator for the tractor. A lot of area dairy farmers use them as backup for their dairy barns. Price isn't too excessive, as the power to spin the generator comes from the tractor which I've already purchased.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:00   #18
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Kohler 14 unit has run with no issues.

I changed the oil and replaced it with synthetic, and it has provided good service during outages up to eight hours.

It runs about 30 minutes per week for testing, and otherwise, it is seamless. I agree that it is a great supplement to any battery based system when the charging supply is irregular.

Plan on 1-1.3 gph LP consumption when operating.

TR
Thanks for the update. Is yours air or liquid cooled?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:11   #19
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
Really good pieces of gear, as long as you have gas for them (which was a small oversight by me last winter).
For the RV, I added an extended run cap so I could use a portable boat fuel tank.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 08-12-2015, 15:21   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Thanks for the update. Is yours air or liquid cooled?

Pat
Air.

The liquid was out of my price range.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 17:04   #21
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Air.

The liquid was out of my price range.

TR
Copy, thanks. And thanks for the additional info in the earlier post.

Pat