Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 12-27-2008, 23:15   #46
trailrunner
Asset

Battery free optics?

Why is there not much mention of any dot type optics without batteries, such as the Meprolight M-21 or the Trijicon Reflex?

Do they not perform as well as the others?
”Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." --Calvin Coolidge
trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:26   #47
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
Why is there not much mention of any dot type optics without batteries, such as the Meprolight M-21 or the Trijicon Reflex?

Do they not perform as well as the others?
The ACOGs are discussed extensively here.

I am not a fan of the Reflex.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09   #48
kawika
Auxiliary

Nowadays there is no real reason to go with those sights mentioned. You might as well use a doctor sight or something similar. Sure it has batteries but at 80,000 hours its almost a nonissue. In a lowlight situation or even high light situation you are best having something powered more often than not.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 13:29   #49
ObliqueApproach
Quiet Professional

Sabertooth Defense Systems

TR,

Backtracking to the Brands portion of your original post, do you or anyone else here have any experience with and/or opinions about the Sabertooth Defense Systems M4 Vortec? It is an NFA firearm manufactured by a now defunct company based in NC. I have the opportunity to buy a new one and am just curious about it as, either my Google-fu is weak, or there is nothing on the internet about it.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07   #50
MeC86
Guerrilla

Went out to the range with new LMT MRP 10.5 in. yesterday. Decided to go with this model after reading its praise on this website and other research.

The weapon ran like a top with all kinds of ammo (75 gr, 55 gr, and frangible) and magazines (steel, aluminum, Pmags).

I only took it out to 50 meters with iron sights, but it kept a sub MOA group with all the ammo. Ill post its performance at the 100 yrd line when I head back to the range next week.

I did not play with the qucik barrel change feature, but LMT claimes it will hold 1 MOA after it is removed and replaced. Anyone have experience with this?

I've only put about 400 round through the weapon so far, and I am very satisfied with its performance.
MeC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:07   #51
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

I can only speak from a CQB perspective in Iraq. The EOTECH has never let me down. If I were to buy a sight for a personal M4 it would be an EOTECH. This is just my opinion and where I will spend my $$.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 23:35   #52
steelcobra
Asset

First things first: I'm nearly blind without glasses (I can't read this text at a normal distance without them), and military optics labs never get my script right, so I get stuck with just-not-quite-right ballistics inserts.

I suck with irons, enough said. All of this is for perspective.

Last year's deployment I had the Aimpoint M68 (Comp M2 model). I shot 40/40 with it, but my lenses tend to turn the dot into a backslash.

This year we got ACOG TA31s. I love this sight. Better accuracy than the Aimpoint (easy 1moa groups, as opposed to 5 in the zero target circle), the reticle doesn't distort, and just by switching if my left eye is open goes from reflex to zoom instantly.

And I second on the Surefire rails. Had those last year too. Seriously superior to the standard KAC rails (You can actually take them off), all you need to put them on/take them off is an Allen key.

As to lasers, it depends on SOP/METT-TC/and Escalation of Force rules (from the military side). The AN/PEQ-15, for example, has a visible laser. If all you want to do is discorage a civilian from being stupid, a laser is a good way to do it.
Old 04-26-2012, 18:48   #53
bjm300
Asset

Thanks for the info reaper.
bjm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:46   #54
spherojon
Guerrilla

Awesome post. Thanks TR.

Any updates on this topic?
Old 07-11-2012, 18:26   #55
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherojon View Post
Awesome post. Thanks TR.

Any updates on this topic?
What, specifically?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-12-2012, 23:38   #56
spherojon
Guerrilla

Specifically any updates in preference in uppers and lowers.

Edit: I will look on the countless pages on updated preference in this section of the forum.
Thanks again for your time.

Last edited by spherojon; 07-12-2012 at 23:45.
spherojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 17:31   #57
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherojon View Post
Specifically any updates in preference in uppers and lowers.

Edit: I will look on the countless pages on updated preference in this section of the forum.
Thanks again for your time.
Several manufacturers have been in a hurry recently to crank out products. That has not always been a good thing.

I have used Bravo Company and PWS uppers and been very happy with them.

Barnes Precision Machine seems to build some good solid parts as well.

Good gear.

TR

Old 12-30-2012, 18:20   #58
Scamilton
SF Candidate

Finally got my tax return in the mail this weekend after tricare misplaced my SSN and an erroneous return was filed using my SSN. As I had initially planned I am in the market for an AR15.

I searched through the various threads and none had really been hit recently in regards to a right out of the box ready to rock AR since the O was reelected and the recent shooting. With dealers everywhere being out of stock until further notice on BCG's and most magazines, I see a fully built AR as my only option rather than building like I had first wanted to do.

LaRue was the biggest name I saw being pushed by the majority of the QP's here. Wanted to know if that was still the case with the mad dash, and if they end up being out of stock or out of price range, is there any others that I should feel confident trying out?

Apologies in advance if I am rehashing something I shouldn't have or overlooked recent information being passed around. I really want to get an AR before the LIBs make one of their bright decisions.
Scamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:35   #59
Huskers15
Asset

Build?

A year or so ago during the looming gun legislation, I jumped on purchasing a Del Ton lower, several aluminum mags, a decent trigger, lpk etc. Due to the price of parts I put the build on hold and would like to proceed.

My question is how important is it that I purchase an upper from Del Ton? I'm looking at purchasing a complete upper build because I don't have the tools nor do I trust myself .

Great information and thanks in advance.
Huskers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:35   #60
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskers15 View Post
A year or so ago during the looming gun legislation, I jumped on purchasing a Del Ton lower, several aluminum mags, a decent trigger, lpk etc. Due to the price of parts I put the build on hold and would like to proceed.

My question is how important is it that I purchase an upper from Del Ton? I'm looking at purchasing a complete upper build because I don't have the tools nor do I trust myself .

Great information and thanks in advance.
Add an upper from whomever you wish.

I currently like LMT, Bravo Company and BPM. There are a lot of good ones out there, but not all are a good return on investment.

If it fits and functions well, you should be GTG.

TR