LarryW
Area Commander

.30-40 Krag

Any leads on where I can find some?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:18   #2
Chairborne64
Quiet Professional

Good question. I have 2 Krags that I would like to shoot again also.

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
Chairborne64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:21   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Cheapest I have found, using the ammo bots, is about $1.50 per round.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:49   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

If you want to shoot it, you'd better take up reloading.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:06   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Larry, et all

Not a spert...

303 Brit in a Krag..

The 30-40 is just a tad different in the shoulder than the 303 Brit, so it can not be fire formed in a Krag, but you can move the shoulder by using a 30-40 case forming die.

Link to disscussion..

http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/ind.../t-151601.html

OR,, re-barrel to ?? The 7mm mauser & 7.62x51 rim to small, 30.06 may not cycle in the Krag ??cartridge holder??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case_303-brit.JPG (11.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg case_30-40-krag.JPG (11.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg case_7mm Mauser.JPG (12.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg case_30-06.JPG (10.2 KB, 6 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:40   #6
LarryW
Area Commander

Thanks, sir. Krags are scant. I would bet that rechambering requires being aware of pressures/overpressures on the receiver. I fire reduced recoil in my low serial number 1903 as a precaution. Thanks all.
Old 02-01-2017, 13:52   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Thanks, sir. Krags are scant. I would bet that rechambering requires being aware of pressures/overpressures on the receiver. I fire reduced recoil in my low serial number 1903 as a precaution. Thanks all.
Somewhat, It's the bolt lugs that take the strain, but in this case the 303 & 30-40 are near equal..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 14:28   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The Krag is not a particularly strong action.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 22:41   #9
LarryW
Area Commander

Possible source FWIW.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/30-40/
Old 02-07-2021, 16:11   #10
Hummer
Asset

Actually if you can get 30-40 krag ammo for 1.50 a round I would jump on it. Have not seen Krag ammo for years. I would suspect 2.00 a round is more likely.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote