Old 12-11-2017, 17:55   #1
PSM
Area Commander

Squirrel!

Our pest control lady showed up today. We've had ground squirrels move in and this 'yote has been taking care of them rather handily. She's no threat to us and there are no cattle around at the moment so I'll just let her do her thing. She did a good job with the mice a few months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yote.jpg (62.3 KB, 70 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 18:31   #2
Chucko
Guerrilla

It looks pretty scraggly. Maybe you need to go to the pet store and buy some mice and gerbils to fatten her up a bit and to keep her around.
Old 12-11-2017, 19:48   #3
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

It's common practice in my part of the country to shoot them on sight. I have witnessed several times of them trying to get a calf away from a mama cow. The ranchers do not like them for sure.
They are well aware of their target status and when they see a pickup they are hauling ass. They might stop 600yds out or so and see if you were really a threat, sometimes.
Eradication of ground squirrels and prarie dogs are fun sports here too.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 20:28   #4
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
It looks pretty scraggly. Maybe you need to go to the pet store and buy some mice and gerbils to fatten her up a bit and to keep her around.
She is. But her tail is bushier than our dog's, so she has that going for her. He got some skin ailment earlier in the year and lost almost all of his hair. Most of it's grown back but his tail is wagging, I mean lagging, behind. His tail was bitten severely by fire ants two years ago, though, and may never completely grow back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshooter View Post
It's common practice in my part of the country to shoot them on sight. I have witnessed several times of them trying to get a calf away from a mama cow. The ranchers do not like them for sure.
They are well aware of their target status and when they see a pickup they are hauling ass. They might stop 600yds out or so and see if you were really a threat, sometimes.
Eradication of ground squirrels and prarie dogs are fun sports here too.
We have no cattle at the moment and there is not much for the 'yotes to eat so I want to keep the balance. Our pack rat, mouse, and javelina population seem to be in check so I'm OK with it. Same with 'rattlers. We don't let them live near the house but outside the fence they get a pass since they also do a good job of rat eradication.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 12-11-2017, 22:18   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshooter View Post
I have witnessed several times of them trying to get a calf away from a mama cow.
I thought that I posted this before but can't find it. Shortly after we moved here we had cattle grazing the BLM land around us. One afternoon we were out back and the herd was walking outside the fence. At the end of the line were several calves following. A few yards behind them was a coyote. Our dog was lying next to me just watching the parade. When he saw the 'yote he stood up. The coyote saw him and stopped. They looked at each other for about a minute then the 'yote started following the calves again. My dog walked toward him until he stopped again. The dog stopped. The 'yote moved forward again as did the dog. The coyote stopped and the dog stopped. They did this dance once or twice more until the coyote turned and slowly walked the opposite direction. The dog waited for a minute or two then laid back down but kept an eye on the calves.