Old 03-01-2016, 12:21   #1
mtlampley
Asset

NG 11B to Active 18x

I have used the search bar and looked through the previous threads but they were either out of date by a few years or was not what I was looking for.

Right now I am an 11B in the IL ARNG, currently looking into going active duty 18x, upon graduating college in 2-3 months. I am Air Assualt qualified and consistently get 300s on the APFT, with 4 years into an 8 year contract.

I am very familiar with how the conditional release process goes and all the recruiting red-tape that comes with it, as I have went through this process once before( long story).

My question for someone knowledgable of the subject is how does that process work? Upon signing an 18x contract, would I go directly to the next SFAS class, or wait around in sort-of limbo until there is one available? Just last week I went in to talk to recruiters, and they said they were not too familiar with my situation and said they would get back to me by the end of the week. I know from experieincce that recruiters are not always the best source of information so that is why I am on here.

I look forward to talking to some experts on the matter. Thanks again.
mtlampley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:21   #2
hotshot
Quiet Professional

The general process for your training following the 18X contract will include the following steps considering the Army does not require you to do any sort of 11B refresher training;

-Airborne School
-SOPC
-SFAS

There may be slight changes or additions to this but to answer your question, no you will not go directly to SFAS. Ultimately, I would track down an SF recruiter at Fort Benning who is up-to-date on the current process.

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:32   #3
brolic
Asset

q

Last edited by brolic; 03-10-2017 at 08:00.
brolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 17:01   #4
Jerry4463
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlampley View Post
I have used the search bar and looked through the previous threads but they were either out of date by a few years or was not what I was looking for.

Right now I am an 11B in the IL ARNG, currently looking into going active duty 18x, upon graduating college in 2-3 months. I am Air Assualt qualified and consistently get 300s on the APFT, with 4 years into an 8 year contract.

I am very familiar with how the conditional release process goes and all the recruiting red-tape that comes with it, as I have went through this process once before( long story).

My question for someone knowledgable of the subject is how does that process work? Upon signing an 18x contract, would I go directly to the next SFAS class, or wait around in sort-of limbo until there is one available? Just last week I went in to talk to recruiters, and they said they were not too familiar with my situation and said they would get back to me by the end of the week. I know from experieincce that recruiters are not always the best source of information so that is why I am on here.

I look forward to talking to some experts on the matter. Thanks again.

I have not yet attended SFAS. However, I just did what you're talking about and can verify that the information Hotshot provided is correct. You will not have to go back through any part of OSUT, and there will not be any limbo. Your contract will come with dates for Airborne and SOPC (printed as "SF Prep Course" on the contract) but that's it. The contract states that a reservation for SFAS will be made after successful completion of the prep course. I've heard there is sometimes a brief holdover period between SOPC and SFAS but nothing crazy.

My ship date was two months from the day MEPS pulled my contract. I was told that 1-3 months is the norm.

You mentioned you're aware of the red tape, but something I found out on my third trip to MEPS is that any non-Airborne qualified prior service needs a waiver from USAREC for any job requiring Airborne status. This requires an Airborne physical which MEPS will not do for prior-service. If you need to know more on how to resolve that issue PM me.

Also if you're already an E-5 don't let them tell you you're ineligible because of rank, it's absolutely doable.

You also mentioned that your recruiter is unfamiliar with this type of situation. That was my experience as well. I'd highly recommend you find an SF recruiter. A friend from one of the Guard groups put me in touch with one and if not for that guy I'd still be hanging out at the MEPS hotel.

Last edited by Jerry4463; 03-12-2017 at 17:02. Reason: Edited to fix typo
Jerry4463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 13:51   #5
BishopRealTalk
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry4463 View Post
I have not yet attended SFAS. However, I just did what you're talking about and can verify that the information Hotshot provided is correct. You will not have to go back through any part of OSUT, and there will not be any limbo. Your contract will come with dates for Airborne and SOPC (printed as "SF Prep Course" on the contract) but that's it. The contract states that a reservation for SFAS will be made after successful completion of the prep course. I've heard there is sometimes a brief holdover period between SOPC and SFAS but nothing crazy.

My ship date was two months from the day MEPS pulled my contract. I was told that 1-3 months is the norm.

You mentioned you're aware of the red tape, but something I found out on my third trip to MEPS is that any non-Airborne qualified prior service needs a waiver from USAREC for any job requiring Airborne status. This requires an Airborne physical which MEPS will not do for prior-service. If you need to know more on how to resolve that issue PM me.

Also if you're already an E-5 don't let them tell you you're ineligible because of rank, it's absolutely doable.

You also mentioned that your recruiter is unfamiliar with this type of situation. That was my experience as well. I'd highly recommend you find an SF recruiter. A friend from one of the Guard groups put me in touch with one and if not for that guy I'd still be hanging out at the MEPS hotel.
PM sent. Currently dealing with some of these issues.
BishopRealTalk is offline   Reply With Quote