Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 02-09-2020, 16:54   #1
Penn
Area Commander

American Exceptionalism

Recently, seeking to understand the hatred that is directed at President Trump, which imho is nonsensical, I googled that question. The results brought me to an essay by Gelernter, published in the WSJ, "The real reason they Hate Trump."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rea...ump-1540148467

That said, this essay on Americanism, is a statement of immense importance. It's the whole of 17th century enlightenment and 21st century realism. A pointed must read, encapsulating who we are as people, from our founding roots to our present day identity.

Americanism–and Its Enemies

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/a...d-its-enemies/
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 18:25   #2
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Need subscription for WSJ article

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 20:54   #3
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

The Real Reason They Hate Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Need subscription for WSJ article
The Real Reason They Hate Trump

Article with No paywall

https://artvoice.com/2018/10/22/the-...ey-hate-trump/

SnT

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..

Last edited by Surf n Turf; 02-09-2020 at 20:55. Reason: spellingg correction
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 21:52   #4
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Thanks Penn and Surf N Turf.

An interesting take on both articles. While I don’t claim to be a religious person I grew up that way as a small child going to church as a family of five with a mother and a father both with deep beliefs. Over the years and after the divorce the 70s 80s and 90s happened.

I joke that Steve Jobs (Apple) killed society, and that g**gle has destroyed intellectual diversity but it’s really not a joke at all...they have.

It’s true we are and were founded on Judeo-Christian values from the Old Testament and the older lesser known teachings of God but that shared value system has been replaced by a smart phone and a search engine where you have to discern between truth and made up sh!t.

When the Democrats and the new liberals took over the education system 50 years ago and eradicated religion and religious beliefs, prayer and freedom in school they knew exactly what they were doing. Destroying the fabric which held us all together.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 23:23   #5
Penn
Area Commander

ODNT, very much the same experience as a youth, early morning Mass, followed by family breakfast, the stable home and belief system served all of us well as we choose our paths.

The essay on Americanism has impacted me greatly. I'll need to read it a few more time, the first pass certainly has opened my eyes to the destructive attack from all those who question God and the idea of God's place and role in society. Interestingly, he has written another article on a parallel subject: Leaving Darwin, a book review, it too is worth your time.

https://claremontreviewofbooks.com/giving-up-darwin/

Last edited by Penn; 02-10-2020 at 05:01.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote