Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 01-31-2020, 09:20   #1
rubberneck
Area Commander

Photos from the set of the Green Berets

Saw this link posted on social media earlier. I wonder how many young men went on to earn their long tab after being inspired by the movie. I know several BTDT here have said as much.

Anyways they’re pretty cool.

https://www.al.com/life/2020/01/john...et-photos.html
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:12   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
The movie was released June 68? while I was attending AIT at Ft Sill(13E) pre-arty OCS.

It was a time when the war was hitting everyone
If I remember, the draft was running 50,000 a month after the TET offensive
The MSM was very anti-war and blared their sys-ops to the masses daily
Millions were using college deferment as an escape, a legal draft dodge
1/2 of each graduating OCS class came home wounded

Then, Mother decided she needed more Infantry butter bars, so I was volunteered to attend FT Benning, class 69-05.

Class started in Sept, I think we were able to see the movie around Thanksgiving, on our 1st-weekend pass.

Additionally, My OCS cadres, 1st Lt "Black Jack" Dawson(RIP, c attached) was a prior SF NCO and we had 5? SF NOC'sin the platoon, each with multiple VN tours.

I think my mind was made up after one session listening to Larry H(3-tours)

I misquote: (it was 52yrs ago :])

Do you want to play with the best team standing next to you??
The ones that will run to you when you're wounded?

Or will you play with the draftees that don't want to be there at all
and don't give a shit about you.

Larry was a good salesman, he retired as an SF O6 and his son is a current SF O6

I think about 1/3 of my class wanted SF and got SF assignments after jump school.

Our class KIA lose in VN was less than 10%, partially because the war was winding down, but I would also add, we were better mentally prepared because of the great SF classmates. The movie was just frosting on the cake.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack Dawson.jpg (85.2 KB, 72 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 01-31-2020 at 16:16.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 20:49   #3
PSM
Area Commander

I like the lifts on the soldier next to the Duke here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duke.jpg (53.7 KB, 86 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 23:22   #4
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Watched that movie many times, read Robin Moore's book (help him get his Uzbekistan visa in 02 while in Germany) and listened Barry's Ballard motivated me to go SF in 83'. 24 yrs in SF before I retired and been supporting SF in Iraq/Astan last 5 yrs.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:50   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
Watched that movie many times, read Robin Moore's book (help him get his Uzbekistan visa in 02 while in Germany) and listened Barry's Ballard motivated me to go SF in 83'. 24 yrs in SF before I retired and been supporting SF in Iraq/Astan last 5 yrs.

CD
Anyone who's read his excellent book on TF Dagger thanks you for that help. (All my daughter ever did when K2 was mentioned was roll her eyes then laugh about the mud.) Thanks for the intel you provide currently on other fronts (along with pics of unobtainium).

@PSM: I wonder if the kid with lifts is some photog assistant trying to see every nuance from exactly the same viewpoint as the Director next to him.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:15   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Is that a young DeNero?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denero.jpg (63.1 KB, 62 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:38   #7
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
@PSM: I wonder if the kid with lifts is some photog assistant trying to see every nuance from exactly the same viewpoint as the Director next to him.
No. The two are extras (one may be a young DeNero) that will be in a medium shot where they are only be seen from the waist up, hence the jungle tunics that they're wearing.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 02-01-2020, 10:49   #8
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
No. The two are extras (one may be a young DeNero) that will be in a medium shot where they are only be seen from the waist up, hence the jungle tunics that they're wearing.
Ok, gotcha.
(May it please the Court, we can do without further mention of De Niro.)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 02-01-2020, 14:16   #9
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Ok, gotcha.
I would like to second that!
Old 02-01-2020, 17:13   #10
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Ok, gotcha.
I refuse to watch the De'bag in anything, ever. I lost any respect for him that I had for him in some of his movies.

I entered basic in June of 69 and in the induction phase just previous to that I was given the opportunity to shoot for SF, should i get that far. I heard of the movie and it seemed the way to go at the time. So, 50 years today I was at Camp McKall and graduated in July 1970. I was assigned at the training group working in the trainees weapons pool for 2 years following that.

I have been wanting to watch the movie again for a couple years but I never see it on TV.
Old 02-01-2020, 19:37   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
I have been wanting to watch the movie again for a couple years but I never see it on TV.
It seems to be a funny thing with his movies, and not sure if it's just his estate doing it, or just serendipity, or what. But sometimes there'll be one movie they'll run the hell out of for several days (Hellfighters, McClintock, etc.), then you won't see it for a long time. Same with Green Berets. Hatari! is another one that is seldom on. The spacing is just kinda funny.

Old 02-01-2020, 21:37   #12
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Ok, gotcha.
Uh, neither JJ nor I said his name, you did. We said DeNero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nero.jpg (13.5 KB, 6 views)

Old 02-03-2020, 01:18   #13
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
He was a big dude for sure. One of my Battalion Commanders had a picture in his office of he and the Duke in Vietnam. He was dwarfed by that famous American.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote