Old 06-05-2020, 09:09   #1036
Box
Quiet Professional

Lets all be honest about this though - an OpEd in the New York times was not going to give these hacks the same legitimacy as buying their way into a peer reviewed journal.

Not when the message is no more scientific than "Orangemanbad"
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 16:22   #1037
Airbornelawyer

My first attempt at creating a Covid-19 meme.

I also thought about one replacing the Virginia state motto of "Sic Semper Tyrannis" with "Führer befiehl, Wir folgen!", but the reference is probably too obscure and most people wouldn't understand the German expression anyway (not that they seem to understand the Latin one).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Social Distancing EO.jpg (61.3 KB, 58 views)
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 22:29   #1038
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Edited Post for relevance.
Hard to be light hearted after running across an article on one of joe biddens trips to china. It’s a long video: https://thenationalpulse.com/news/bi...us-government/

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 06-06-2020 at 07:38.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:47   #1039
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
Edited Post for relevance.
Hard to be light hearted after running across an article on one of joe biddens trips to china. It’s a long video: https://thenationalpulse.com/news/bi...us-government/
Good find. Very brief excerpt from your posted article below.

It is unsettling to reflect on the CCP participation in Korea and Vietnam and read Bill Ayers and other 60’s radicals Prairie Fire manifesto (with today’s ANTIFA handbook in mind).

The stated hatred for America concomitant with the stated reverence for communists by some in this country (with their calls for revolution) is more than unsettling.

“The comments – unearthed from a 2011 Sichuan University speech – demonstrate either a fundamental misunderstanding of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), or outright collusion with it.”

The former veep (BIDEN) stated at the time:

“In order to cement this robust partnership, we have to go beyond close ties between Washington and Beijing, which we’re working on every day, go beyond it to include all levels of government, go beyond it to include classrooms and laboratories, athletic fields and boardrooms.”

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:43   #1040
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
So you're saying that a medical research paper done by political activists is scientifically unfounded?

Political SCIENCE does NOT makes you a fucking scientist.
Its probably why people like aLg0re thinks they are an authority on climate

remarkable
Finest Kind as usual!
Old 06-06-2020, 10:59   #1041
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

The WUHAN VIRUS:

Sir Richard Dearlove (Former head of MI-6) from 1999 until 2004, Britain's equivalent of the CIA cited a report written by Prof. Angus Dalgleish of St, George's Hospital, University of London and Norwegian virologist Biger Sorensen which presents evidence suggesting the Virus was manufactured in a lab. The paper examines Covid-19's genetic sequence, and concludes that key elements were "inserted" and are unlikely to have evolved naturally. The Spike protein structure of SARS-CoV-2 enables the virus to bind specifically to human cells. Vaccine researcher Nikolai Petrovsky Flanders University stated 'The virus is optimized for penetration into human cells rather than animal cells. WHO and WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE. more important is WHY do you believe or TRUST anyone....
Old 06-06-2020, 15:41   #1042
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
My first attempt at creating a Covid-19 meme.
Well done.
Old 06-08-2020, 23:33   #1043
Airbornelawyer

From the Washington Examiner: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...virus-lockdown

The article is short on details, for the most part, but does add more evidence regarding the human cost of the lockdowns.

Quote:
Since stay-at-home orders were put into effect in late March, the National Centers for Missing and Exploited Children has seen an “explosion” in the number of abuse reports to its cyber tip line, the agency’s chief operating office, Michelle DeLaune, told members.

“We have more than doubled the number of cases that have been received,” said DeLaune. “In April, our cyber tip line reports were 300% higher than they were in April of last year.”
Quote:
Camille Coops, vice president of public policy at the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, said shelter-in-place orders prompted an uptick in the frequency and severity of abuse within the home, based on reports the organization received.
There are also several recent news reports on a 40% to 50% drop-off in emergency room visits nationwide. This has immediate costs as in many cases we simply do not know what happened to many of these people who did not seek care, and longer term costs as many hospitals are having financial troubles and are being forced to lay off staff and cut back services. This has disparate impact on the poor, since many lack adequate health insurance and the ER has often seemed their only option. I have been in that boat myself. Also, since the poverty rate among blacks is significantly higher than among the population in general, blacks are disproportionately impacted. But black lives apparently only matter in certain cases.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:12   #1044
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Is It Taco Tuesday?

If this belongs in the Comedy Zone, pls move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartNews Keeping you current

The Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine Runs on Horseshoe Crab Blood

Pharmaceutical companies use the creature’s blue blood to test for contaminants

Horseshoe crabs are bled to harvest a key ingredient in tests used to ensure injected medicines such as vaccines are free of contaminants.

By Alex Fox, smithsonianmag.com, June 8, 2020 10:55AM

Humans owe a debt to the strange-looking, ancient horseshoe crab. Its blue blood is used in medicine to ensure that anything that gets injected or implanted into the human body is free of potentially life-threatening bacterial contamination. A special compound in the crab’s blood quickly clots in the presence of endotoxins, microbial byproducts that can be harmful, supplying a perfect natural test for purity. In the race to find a COVID-19 vaccine, horseshoe crab blood is very important.

But an estimated 50,000 crabs die during the annual blood harvest, and these ancient arthropods are also being threatened by pollution, overfishing and habitat loss due to sea level rise, reported Sarah Zhang in the Atlantic in 2018. Moreover, humans aren’t the only ones depending on the crabs (which are actually more closely related to spiders than true crabs). Migratory birds such as the threatened red knot are sustained by the blue-gray bunches of eggs the shelled creatures deposit by the thousands on beaches along the east coast of the United States.

For these reasons, animal rights groups, conservationists and a handful of companies have been pushing for the development and approval of synthetic alternatives to the milky-blue crab blood, reports James Gorman for the New York Times.

Now, an influential United States group has abandoned plans to list a synthetic alternative, called recombinant Factor C (rFC), alongside the tried and true blue fluid, reports John Miller for Reuters. The move by medical standards group U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP) would have given rFC equal standing with crab blood, which has long been the industry standard for testing, per Reuters.

The gist of the USP’s rationale is that rFC requires more testing, and that the current crab-derived test has a 30-year track record of safe and effective use, reports the Times. Many expected the alternative test to be approved for widespread use as it was in Europe by the European Pharmacopeia, per the Times.

For drug makers in the U.S., using the synthetic alternative will require a kind of application designed to demonstrate that the non-standard test is up to snuff—a hurdle that makes companies less likely to abandon the animal-based test, reports Caroline Delbert for Popular Mechanics.

In 2018, the blood harvest drained a third of the vital fluids from nearly 500,000 crabs in the U.S., according to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. After scores of steel needles suck their blood, each helmet-shaped crawler gets released back to where it was caught—but thousands of them die in the process. Exactly how many are lost is a matter of debate, but Miller, in another recent story for Reuters, reports that conservation groups estimate switching to rFC could save 100,000 crabs each year.

For their part, the companies that make Limulus amebocyte lysate (LAL), the component of crab blood isolated for use in drug purity testing, say the supply of horseshoe crabs is up to the task of approving the surge in vaccine testing amid the race for a cure to the novel coronavirus, reports the Times.

One company using rFC, which is created by inserting horseshoe crab genes into lab-grown microorganisms, is Eli Lilly, per the Times. Eli Lilly recently announced it had started testing a COVID-19 antibody in humans with nothing but rFC for purity testing, Jay Bolden, a biologist with the company, tells Reuters. Bolden tells the Times his company made the switch because of the synthetic product’s consistent quality, its reduced costs, lack of reliance on an animal population as well as the company’s desire to avoid harming animals where possible.

More than 40,000 samples tested by Eli Lilly using rFC suggested it was just as good as LAL, Bolden tells Reuters. “And that data is out there, and it’s either not being looked at or it’s being ignored… There’s no reason the USP should be asking for more data.”

Like this article? SIGN UP for our newsletter
Get the best of Smithsonian magazine by email. Keep up-to-date on:

link:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horseshoecrabblood.jpg (71.2 KB, 44 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 20:51   #1045
PSM
Area Commander

Hmmm. I'm seeing a pattern here: Horseshoe bats, horseshoe crabs, is it possible that playing horseshoes is the answer?

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 06-09-2020 at 21:58.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:16   #1046
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Hmmm. I'm seeing a pattern here: Horseshoe bats, horseshoe crabs, is it possible that playing horseshoes is the answer?
Until some inner city Karen starts crying about "those poor animals have to walk around barefoot so you can play a game"

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:45   #1047
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

The VIRUS:

Reading the recent postings to this thread leads me to believe a lot of savvy people comprehend the science, biochemistry, genetics, and virology about this virus. SO how many believe that the Bio-Weapons Lab at The Naval University of Engineering in Wuhan China headed by Maj.Gen. Chen Wi was working on this particular virus for scientific investigation as a possible weapon or was it being looked at for a vaccine development ? My vote is that Dr. Wi was trying to weaponize the virus & due to poor or lax safety procedures the virus was spread first in Wuhan and than the rest of the world. The CCP IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED especially when verified by the WHO. COMMENTS ?????
Old 06-15-2020, 23:54   #1048
Airbornelawyer

In my earlier long post, I listed various ways in which the COVID-19 response, justified with platitudes like "if it saves even one life, it's worth it", was in fact killing people. I mentioned, among other things, cancers and other diseases which were not getting diagnosed and treated. Add cholera, diphtheria, measles and polio to the list.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/h...s-measles.html

Quote:
As poor countries around the world struggle to beat back the coronavirus, they are unintentionally contributing to fresh explosions of illness and death from other diseases — ones that are readily prevented by vaccines.

This spring, after the World Health Organization and UNICEF warned that the pandemic could spread swiftly when children gathered for shots, many countries suspended their inoculation programs. Even in countries that tried to keep them going, cargo flights with vaccine supplies were halted by the pandemic and health workers diverted to fight it.

Now, diphtheria is appearing in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.

Cholera is in South Sudan, Cameroon, Mozambique, Yemen and Bangladesh.

A mutated strain of poliovirus has been reported in more than 30 countries.

And measles is flaring around the globe, including in Bangladesh, Brazil, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Nigeria and Uzbekistan.

Of 29 countries that have currently suspended measles campaigns because of the pandemic, 18 are reporting outbreaks. An additional 13 countries are considering postponement. According to the Measles and Rubella Initiative, 178 million people are at risk of missing measles shots in 2020.

The risk now is “an epidemic in a few months’ time that will kill more children than Covid,” said Chibuzo Okonta, the president of Doctors Without Borders in West and Central Africa.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:30   #1049
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
In my earlier long post, I listed various ways in which the COVID-19 response, justified with platitudes like "if it saves even one life, it's worth it", was in fact killing people. I mentioned, among other things, cancers and other diseases which were not getting diagnosed and treated. Add cholera, diphtheria, measles and polio to the list.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/h...s-measles.html
Suicide and domestic abuse had a few upticks as well from some of the anecdotal internet stories I have seen...
...but hey 'muh 'Rona

To help dull the edge that sometimes drive the otherwise healty person to the edge of insanity - I offer this little factoid about a hit song that some of you might rember from the late 1970's...
...The Knack released this song in its original form in 1979 as the “B-Side” to their single “Let Me Out” – neither song took off like they thought – so The Knack retooled the lyrics just a tad and the rest – as they say – is history.
Just the same – I like to share what I am pretty sure are the ORIGINAL song lyrics to the 79’ hit single before it went top-40……………….

Ooh, my little viral one, my viral one
When you gonna give me a cough, Corona
Ooh, you make my fever run, my fever run
Got it coming off o' the line, Corona

Never gonna stop, give it up, gotta wash my hands
I always get it up, for a bottle of the sanitizer
My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my Corona

Come a little closer, huh, a-will ya, huh?
Close enough to get in my mask, Corona
Keeping it a mystery, no more TP…
Running down the length of my thigh, Corona

M-m-m-my Corona
M-m-m-my Corona

When you gonna give to me, a cure for me
Is it just a matter of time, Corona?
Is it a conspiracy, conspiracy…
…or is it just a germ in my lungs corona?

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-my, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my Corona
M-m-m-my Corona
M-m-m-my Corona
M-m-m-my Corona

Ooooooo-ohhh, my Corona
Ooooooo-ohhh, my Corona
Ooooooo-ohhh, my Corona

Be well and dont forget to wash your hands.
Never forget - NASCAR spreads pestilence but rioting cures the 'Rona
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 06-16-2020 at 06:47.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:19   #1050
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Just the same – I like to share what I am pretty sure are the ORIGINAL song lyrics to the 79’ hit single before it went top-40……………….
This is way beyond the weekly gem; you have a "body of work" that will be studied for years. Examples:
  1. Box Appreciation-101 (Core requirement; not available to HS AP students)
  2. Exercises in Rhetoric (summer elective); wherein we compare & contrast select works with mysterious events called JADE HELM

as well as...
  • Pop Culture According to Box (Jeopardy category)
  • Comprehensive Works of Box (Volume I), the Boxed set, now on SmileAmazon.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote