Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 10-24-2011, 12:57   #31
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Getting back on topic

NYC requires spousal unit approval for firearm permits, notarized and all. After a lengthy discussion(some recent deadly home invasions in my area were a big factor) my wife OK'd the permit application as long as I go with something that has a biometric lock, she is very concerned about the kids getting to the key or combination. Experience and recommendations are much appreciated
Old 10-24-2011, 13:52   #32
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOfH View Post
Getting back on topic

NYC requires spousal unit approval for firearm permits, notarized and all. After a lengthy discussion(some recent deadly home invasions in my area were a big factor) my wife OK'd the permit application as long as I go with something that has a biometric lock, she is very concerned about the kids getting to the key or combination. Experience and recommendations are much appreciated
Now I have heard everything...............
Old 10-24-2011, 14:07   #33
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Now I have heard everything...............
Affidavit of Cohabitant, page 11: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...pplication.pdf

Old 10-24-2011, 18:17   #34
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Getting back on topic

How long will it take a home invader to breach and enter your dwelling?

If you can't access the weapon and make it ready to fire quicker than that, maybe you should reconsider owning one for protection.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 18:53   #35
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
How long will it take a home invader to breach and enter your dwelling?

If you can't access the weapon and make it ready to fire quicker than that, maybe you should reconsider owning one for protection.

TR
Depends on where they enter, shortest time would be about 10-12 seconds until they are at the foot of the stairs. In my experience, biometric locks are usually pretty fast, and with the planned safe location about 8 short steps from my bed, I think I would have enough time from the start of the alarm siren to make the weapon ready to fire. Exterior motion sensors combined with motion processing from the cameras could give me a much earlier warning(my weakest point is furthest from the street).

ETA: QP TR, I followed up with a PM, when you have a moment.

Last edited by BOfH; 10-24-2011 at 19:25.
BOfH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 20:27   #36
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Getting back on topic

NYC requires spousal unit approval for firearm permits, notarized and all.
The ex didn't like my S&W 59 in the house. Since the S&W doesn't smile at strangers or go off for no discernible reason........

She who now shares my life grew up in a "bad" area, and thought I was brilliant when I installed an exterior door with a sturdy lock to the MBR. One can get in only with a lot of noisy effort when said door is locked. (doorway is appropriately reinforced)

Inheriting a new 7 year old grand-daughter, it appears wise to put a biometric lock on said sturdy door. S&W stays upright on the nightstand, the two of us can enter/exit easily, and the room remains defensible. Seems the best of both worlds.

Just an alternate approach at about the same price. (Well, except for the alimony)
Old 10-24-2011, 21:11   #37
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

I wish I could go that route, unfortunately, we are still working on kicking the kids out of our bed(my wife has a really bad case of full-time working moms guilt, can't say I blame her) , so locked MBR is a NO GO at the moment.

I need to look into utilizing an SIEM(Security Information Event Management) system for early warning, correlating camera motion events etc.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:26   #38
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
I wish I could go that route, unfortunately, we are still working on kicking the kids out of our bed(my wife has a really bad case of full-time working moms guilt, can't say I blame her) , so locked MBR is a NO GO at the moment.

I need to look into utilizing an SIEM(Security Information Event Management) system for early warning, correlating camera motion events etc.

Some of you guys go to far with the threat analyses.

It ain't that difficult.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14   #39
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

It ain't that difficult.
I was thinking the same thing but couldn't think of a way to say it politely.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:15   #40
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

It ain't that difficult.
How do you think we stay in business?

On a more serious note, living in a city where the permissible use of deadly force in self-defense is severely limited, every second counts.
Old 10-25-2011, 15:53   #41
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
I was thinking the same thing but couldn't think of a way to say it politely.
As long as we have Dusty there's no need to waste brain cells trying to be PC. He'll always beat you to the punch (with a club!).
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 20:01   #42
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Bump...

I'm in the market and have decided that it's easier to buy a house or a car than to select a gun safe. (somebody mentioned that earlier here)

I've looked across the recommendations and wanted to see if anyone had gone through a larger retail/big box vendor. The price disparity is considerable but is most likely due to the bulk buying of safes from the manufacturers with specifications that are different from normal production lines.

Online sales are, for the most part, out..since the shipping costs for most of the ones I have looked at are worth another 10 guns worth of storage

Although the fire rating is something I would consider, I think that is mitigated through firearm insurance...so the extra cost for 1 - 2 hours of fire resistance is probably a trade off where I would go with something below 1 hour (30 - 45 minutes)

Also noting how some manufacturers have the hinges exposed... that seems to be a vulnerability in my mind.

As an example of the disparity in price...an inexpensive Cannon or Winchester through Tractor Supply is close to 50% less than direct from the manufacturer...although the options on the models do not fully align. I've also found some of the big-box stores that have free shipping to the curb....(or ship to store)

Appreciate any updates on experiences or feedback from those making recent purchases.

R10

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 20:11   #43
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Bump...

I'm in the market and have decided that it's easier to buy a house or a car than to select a gun safe. (somebody mentioned that earlier here)

I've looked across the recommendations and wanted to see if anyone had gone through a larger retail/big box vendor. The price disparity is considerable but is most likely due to the bulk buying of safes from the manufacturers with specifications that are different from normal production lines.

Online sales are, for the most part, out..since the shipping costs for most of the ones I have looked at are worth another 10 guns worth of storage

Although the fire rating is something I would consider, I think that is mitigated through firearm insurance...so the extra cost for 1 - 2 hours of fire resistance is probably a trade off where I would go with something below 1 hour (30 - 45 minutes)

Also noting how some manufacturers have the hinges exposed... that seems to be a vulnerability in my mind.

As an example of the disparity in price...an inexpensive Cannon or Winchester through Tractor Supply is close to 50% less than direct from the manufacturer...although the options on the models do not fully align. I've also found some of the big-box stores that have free shipping to the curb....(or ship to store)

Appreciate any updates on experiences or feedback from those making recent purchases.

R10
Most of the big box safes are made for the absolute lowest price point possible, and all security measures are compromised, from thinkness of steel, quality of steel, body thickness, size and number of bolts, etc., etc.

I think I would rather just hide the guns throughout the house than to leave them all in one place in a crappy metal box that a junior high dropout could open with a hammer or an axe in less than ten minutes.

Seriously, spend the money on a good quality safe, like a Fort Knox. And get the fire protection.

Buy once, cry once.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 20:39   #44
Toaster
Guerrilla

Centurion by Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Bump...

R10
I think mine ran in the $300-$500 dollar range at Gander Mountain in NewYorkistan when I was at Drum...I got them to knock a good bit off the price since it was the floor model, had some chips in paint and the shelves inside were missing (they replaced them for free). All I had to do was haggle with the manager, I think I got an hour of free gunsmithing as well .

It works for what I need, and kept my guns from getting stolen when my apartment was broken into...they knocked it onto it's face, so I have since bolted it to the floor. They sell floor bolting kits at Gander Mountain. I think it weighs about 200-300lbs empty.

I look at the purpose of the safe as to delay and deter a burglar from making off with my guns in a hasty manner. I have insurance for fire.

The time that it would take someone to break into a safe without damaging the guns inside would be mitigated by having a security system.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:24   #45
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

Better Safe

Buy the better safe that will include fire protection. This usually matches increased wall and door thickness. Exterior hinges are not a big deal, as long as the locking lugs of the door are on all sides of the door - that is FOUR sides. The hinges should play no part in the security or integrity of the safe; they just hold the door and allow it to swing open to get your RPG out.

Have a place to anchor the safe. The better safes will have the ability to mount to the floor - safe on top of rebar or bolted to the cement floor. A real cool safe will look even cooler as the thieves take it out on a hand truck.

Also consider the weight of the safe, as the heavier (with fire protection) is more difficult for a common burglar to move- see mention above concerning floor mounting.

Big Box Store - Home Depot has Cannon H4 safes at a decent price, which are small enough to place in a closet if you live in an apartment.

Tractor Supply Company has quite a bunch and in the NY NJ area, have the lowest prices. Be prepared to bring your own muscle to load it onto your pickup truck, as they only bring it outside/ curbside.

As far as NYC, move to another place and commute. All those permissions and forms about firearms ownership and spouse permission smell of 0430 health & welfare checks by the NYPD or child services.

In NYC, contact various safe and lock companies, as they come across used commercial safes when businesses close or move. We picked up an outstanding weapons safe for our NYC midtown office that was refurbished from a local locksmith at a third the price of a brand new unit. Krylon saved the day and it was anchored into a closet space, out of view.

The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

The Insurgency is going well, especially with the enemy at the table of every branch of our Federal, State, and Local Government.

Last edited by FlagDayNCO; 10-27-2013 at 08:26. Reason: speeling
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote