Old 05-03-2011, 14:40   #1
jw74
Guerrilla

Scout Rifle

(Moved this topic from the precision rifle thread)
I've been considering a Ruger Scout rifle, primary use is for boar. where I hunt there is some manzanita brush that is brutal to the finish of nicer rifles. Also, the longest range shot on the ranch is around 250-300 yrds due to hills and ravines and trees.

The Ruger is pretty light at 7lbs, has iron sights on a 16" barrel and a ten rnd magazine. I've also considered the savage scout. I've looked at the steyr scout but for the money of the steyr I could get other nicer rifles.

What are your experienced opinions regarding scout rifles in general? My own experience with rifles/hunting is new. I don't want to get something that doesn't serve a purpose. My hunting rifle now is a sako 270 finnbear with a 3x9. I like the sako a lot and hate to see it take the abuse that it does when i fight my way through the manzanita.

Thanks in advance for your opinions
JW
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 17:24   #2
Dohhunter
Guerrilla

Your reference to 'nice rifles' is relative, though I do know you are referring mainly to wood finish. There are plenty of fine firearms with fully composite stocks and robust finishes on barrel/action.

My primary hunting piece is a bare bones Win Model 70 (originally plain jane synthetic with a stainless barrel) bedded in an HS Precision stock. Accuracy is a moot point as it's a magnum with no break, but even without the little bit of extra work it has always functioned exactly as it is supposed too...dropping anything I come across.

If you are worried about wood finishes, spend the six hundred bucks and get something that you can abuse (whether that be a scout model or a similarly weighted/priced dedicated hunting bolt action).....you won't be sorry.

Last edited by Dohhunter; 05-03-2011 at 17:26.
Dohhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 18:01   #3
rdret1
Quiet Professional

I read a recent article in the American Rifleman about the Ruger "Gunsite" Scout Rifle. For a brush gun, it sounded like an interesting rifle. I was considering one just for the heck of it.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06   #4
mark46th
Quiet Professional

What about the guide model lever action in .45-70? Stainless with a brushbuster bullet....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:32   #5
MVP
Quiet Professional

magnum accuracy

"Accuracy is a moot point as it's a magnum with no break"

Why is that?

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:52   #6
Dohhunter
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
"Accuracy is a moot point as it's a magnum with no break"

Why is that?

MVP
First I can't believe I misspelled brake. Second, I'm a pussy for recoil on my 7mil. Third, up until last year (when I switched to Accubonds) I was sending Fail Safes downrange and they opened up another three quarters of an inch.
Old 05-04-2011, 13:13   #7
jw74
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
What about the guide model lever action in .45-70? Stainless with a brushbuster bullet....
The marlin sbl guide gun with an oversized lever ring has been catching my eye too. Same kind of purpose (as the scout) in a great round. same price range too. I was looking at the ruger in .308 more because of the potential versatility of the round and hopefully better range and accuracy than the guide. I don't know anyone with a scout rifle and I'm trying to see if there is a reason for that... I love the idea of a 45-70 guide gun though..
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 20:47   #8
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdret1 View Post
I read a recent article in the American Rifleman about the Ruger "Gunsite" Scout Rifle. For a brush gun, it sounded like an interesting rifle. I was considering one just for the heck of it.
I have been interested in the scout configuration for some time. Change the scope on my Mauser and I'd have one.
I am impressed with the new Ruger set up..I'm thinking...thinking.......thinking.. For the afore mentioned hunting, one can purchase a nice Mauser, put it in the ATI ( Steyr type stock, and put and scout type (long relief) scope on it, and you'd be on. Can easily up grade trigger also. I've a Timney on mine. easy enough.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:09   #9
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Had this built years ago during the early 90s. Took a 1891 Mosin Nagant, had the barrel shorted to 17.5" and ported. It had a Bushnell Phantom 3x LER scope mounted on the barrel but it finally gave up the ghost when shooting 1000rds one afternoon. Only had $40 into the gun at the time. Later a can of Krylon and a NCStar red dot. Still only have $80 in the gun.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P1280011.JPG

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42   #10
Dohhunter
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
Had this built years ago during the early 90s. Took a 1891 Mosin Nagant, had the barrel shorted to 17.5" and ported. It had a Bushnell Phantom 3x LER scope mounted on the barrel but it finally gave up the ghost when shooting 1000rds one afternoon. Only had $40 into the gun at the time. Later a can of Krylon and a NCStar red dot. Still only have $80 in the gun.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P1280011.JPG

CD
And here I am complaining about accuracy at 100yds with a 7mm Rem Mag, 3x9 and 160gr lead. I suck.
Old 05-05-2011, 20:22   #11
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

That rifle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
That is one ugly rifle. how did it shoot I have thought of getting a mosin-nagant and doing the something similar.
...Beauty of the Breast....

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 00:15   #12
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Right now its shooting 3-4 MOA at 100yds but the red dot has a 8 MOA dot so that may have something to do with it. Might take off my 2x20 pistol scope off my Contender and place it on the MN.

CD
Old 05-06-2011, 15:19   #13
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Diver- A mosin with a 17 !/2 inch barrel!?!? You could probably roast a hot dog on the muzzle blast. Talk about a flame thrower!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 18:19   #14
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Scout Rifle?

According to Gun Tests Magazine, Jeff Cooper's Scout rifle concept was a light .308 Win. bolt-action design. Gun Tests put Ruger's new Gunsite Scout Rifle against the Steyr Jeff Cooper Scout .308 Winchester. The Gun Test Grade for the Steyr was A While the grade for the Ruger was B- Also the price of the Ruger was listed at $995 while the Steyr was a lot higher at $2975. You can read the article in the May 2011 issue of Gun Tests vol.xxiii, No.5...You can order a subscription by calling toll free 800-829-9084 or order online at www.gun-test.com & click" contact us" Gun Tests does not accept any advertisements so all of there evaluations are impartial and usually spot-on correct. regard's, tom kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 00:30   #15
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Diver- A mosin with a 17 !/2 inch barrel!?!? You could probably roast a hot dog on the muzzle blast. Talk about a flame thrower!

Yep, during daylight has a muzzle flash the size of a beach ball. But no slap against the shoulder as the ports/break does work.

CD