Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-06-2009, 10:01   #16
Lmmsoat
Asset

I gotten my hands on these types of nods before. They are usually large and cumbersome. The weight will be an issue, especially if they are binocular types. Another consideration is the lack of a diopter adjustment (not sure if this model has one or not). In order to save on weight and length a lot of these manufacturers will chop it off. So unless you have perfect 20/20, you will get a crushing headache after several hours of use.

Basenshukai, I've felt your pain about doing more with less. I know I'm off topic but have you tried getting 45's out of war stock. You wouldn't believe the stuff the military keeps in storage. That's how 5th Grp got theirs in 2003-2004 (can't remember). They were found by a motivated company commander. Another option, if you like your pistols crew served, go to your AKO and search jos2009. Download the PDF and go to page A-7.
Lmmsoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:33   #17
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmmsoat View Post
I gotten my hands on these types of nods before. They are usually large and cumbersome. The weight will be an issue, especially if they are binocular types. Another consideration is the lack of a diopter adjustment (not sure if this model has one or not). In order to save on weight and length a lot of these manufacturers will chop it off. So unless you have perfect 20/20, you will get a crushing headache after several hours of use.

Basenshukai, I've felt your pain about doing more with less. I know I'm off topic but have you tried getting 45's out of war stock. You wouldn't believe the stuff the military keeps in storage. That's how 5th Grp got theirs in 2003-2004 (can't remember). They were found by a motivated company commander. Another option, if you like your pistols crew served, go to your AKO and search jos2009. Download the PDF and go to page A-7.
Yep, I went to the JOS Warehouse and got a bunch of stuff we needed, but was not in the "system". A lot of it was very useful during the deployment. But, I still think we should have these things in our own inventories without having to "out source".
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44   #18
11B2V
Asset

Good point

Amen Basenshukai! I think it's all about the old "TOOLBOX" principle, not a technology issue. I have seen (big Army) people swing and miss on this quite a bit.
11B2V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:15   #19
RT AXE 10
Quiet Professional

Night Vision Technology enhancement is moving so fast, that what was purchased yesterday, is no longer ideal for today. Include the climbing price of technology and equipment, Big Army has to really consider how much of what and to whom.
On the other hand are those inventions that have not completed testing for all around use and may still have faults such as, being front end heavy, power consumption and questionable combat durability. The procurement office has night mares when they must procure these items prior to test completion or items that may not meet Mil spec standards... Meanwhile, the users in the battle zone are ?.
a. with none
b. with some
c. with the old stuff
d. with flashlight n red filters
RT AXE 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:28   #20
Lmmsoat
Asset

I agree, the jos can be a lot more painful than signing it out of your own arms room. It all starts with the procurment process and the people in charge of it. Unfortunately, the people who are motivated for change are also the ones who wan't to stay on the team and dodge staff tours. On top of that the bugeting process is corupt. Ask any Col. in USASOC or USAFIC about the "taxing" process of apropriated funds. Don't get me started on the waste of money rant.
Lmmsoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:07   #21
Green Tip
Asset

I just read that the army spent a little over 560 Million Dollars on this contract haha wow!
Green Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 13:33   #22
ACE844
Guerrilla

For those who maybe interested, here is more info from the manufacturer.

http://www.nightvision.com/products/...psq20_envg.pdf
ACE844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:21   #23
Roger_Out
Asset

Used them for one drive into the desert and then they stayed on a shelf in the room. They have a seperate battery pack that also attaches to your helmet, and between the two pieces you get quite a bit of weight on your neck, especially if you try to drive with these things on. Ok for sporadic use from a gunners perch, but not something you want to be wearing for an extended period of time. This seemed to be the consensus of the guys that used them.
Roger_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:48   #24
Box
Quiet Professional

eat more carrots and you dont need NVGs

screw the cool guys and their gadgets. Most of the cool guys need to rotate back home every 45 to 90 days because of the quality of life they are forced to endure (and so they can purchase new batteries)

Real men live with smelly Afghanis for 6 months at a time

My best frame of reference right now is parachuting: gadgets freeze at certain temps and altitudes. Yet everyone wants the 10,000 dollar gadget that WILL freeze and become NMC
...a self leveling boat compass wont freeze until AFTER you do.

just sayin'
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 11-24-2009 at 08:51.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote