Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-10-2011, 12:17   #1
niners
Asset

Disqualified to enlist as 18X; 11X or 68W instead?

Hi all,
I have tried googling and searching the site but have some questions in detail I would like to see if I can get some answers on. I have been trying to enlist as an 18X the past couple of weeks with the final word today being a no-go; I have a medical waiver for my PRK which has disqualified me from the 18X contract. I am 26, a college grad, and 99th percentile ASVAB just to get some details out of the way.

I want to be an 18D, and that is all I want to be. To get to this point, would it be more beneficial to me to enlist as 68W or 11X? My recruiter is telling me that as an 11X it might be quicker to go through the pipeline as SF will recruit from basic training those who are qualified. However, I want to be in the medical field, so I was thinking if somehow that didn't happen, 68W would be a good deal for me if I can go to selection from there though I am unsure of how easily a command will potentially let go of me as a 68W to go to selection. I know I need to get through Airborne prior to selection as well, so would infantry be the better choice since everything is at Fort Benning?

Cliffs notes: Would enlisting as a 68W be any more beneficial and quicker in getting me into the pipeline to being an 18D than enlisting as 11X?

Thank you all for your time, advice and service.
niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 14:16   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners View Post
...I want to be an 18D, and that is all I want to be. To get to this point, would it be more beneficial to me to enlist as 68W or 11X? My recruiter is telling me that as an 11X it might be quicker to go through the pipeline as SF will recruit from basic training those who are qualified...

Cliffs notes: Would enlisting as a 68W be any more beneficial and quicker in getting me into the pipeline to being an 18D than enlisting as 11X?
Niners:

Sorry to hear you had trouble with your enlistment and arent getting exactly what you want when you want it, but it happens.

Before giving you advice on what I would do if I were in your shoes I want to address the comment I highlighted above. We understand your wanting to serve as an 18D but have you thought about what you would do if for some reason you were not to make it thru the training or even be selected to begin training? Not everyone who wants to be SF can be and even fewer are SF medics. You need to have a back up plan.

Now... I would enlist 68W, learn and train all I could then apply to SFAS when you are eligible. There is plenty to be learned from the conventional military and plenty of opportunities for you to excel. Also if something were to happen and you not make it thru SF training you are in the medical field.

That said, Ranger Regiment looks for volunteers at 68W AIT to fill holes they have as well.

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-10-2011 at 14:21.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 14:29   #3
niners
Asset

Thanks a lot for your insight and response sir; I shouldn't say 18D is the end-all-be-all of what I want to do since I am ready to serve and do my best in any capacity I end up in if, as you say, I am not selected for training or do not make it through selection. I am more concerned with just getting to selection and being given the chance; if I fail it is of my own accord and it is something I can live happily with.

I appreciate your advice about 68W and will be seeing if there are any slots I can reserve with my recruiter this evening. Thank you for your time.
Old 01-10-2011, 16:55   #4
Dozer523
BANNED USER

My gut reaction to your second post being a thread was "Oh boy, here we go again" But, then I noticed you've been a member for the past 11 months and I thought "now that's good". (Huh Big Teddy?, see I can learn.)

They told you that you were not qualified for 18X. I hate the all powerful they who find in their power to say a guy can't do something in their opinion. So he doesn't get to try. Then they go one to find someone else they can judge and deny.

But maybe they are right.
My suggestion is go the medic route then try for the 18D slot. If you don't get it (because of they or because of you) then you have lots of medical options. You can be a great medic, or a PA or a nurse or a doc or a brain surgeon or a (dare we dream?) a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills. Gasp!!Serious point is: go for what you want and keep your options open.

Good luck.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 17:46   #5
Tristanada
Asset

68W

Something to think about, 18B is the same identifier as 18X in the fact that if you are selected you will be put in any job Special Forces thinks you will fit best. If you chose infantry you might be lucky enough to get a CLS certified let alone be just a rifleman. You could end up in a bradley fighting vehicle, on a mortar team, on a machine gun team, ect. And without an airborne identifier to start off you likely will. (just realistically)

With the 68W MOS you will still be in the medical field and will get a taste of the real army and hopefully be able to make a better decision from there. As stated above, Rangers are nothing to turn your nose up to. 68W is not a bad gig. I know because my wife teaches at the school house at Ft. Sam Houston.

Best of Luck

"Let us set for ourselves
a standard so high
that it will be an glory to live up to it,
and then let us live up to it
and add a new laurel to the crown of America"

Woodrow Wilson
Tristanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 20:11   #6
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristanada View Post
Something to think about, blah blah blah . . . Best of Luck
But in a nice way since you basicly wrote the same thing I did.
But, from the sticky you did not read . . .

"This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.
Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.
Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.
If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

TT-nada, Don't never do it NO mo!
Old 01-10-2011, 21:03   #7
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Iam hoping that this is a typo and that your not stating an 18B is basically the same as a 18X.

Quote:
Something to think about, 18B is the same identifier as 18X in the fact that if you are selected you will be put in any job Special Forces thinks you will fit best.
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 21:24   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Tristan...you have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
...18B is the same identifier as 18X in the fact that if you are selected you will be put in any job Special Forces thinks you will fit best...
This is the reason we have rules about non-SF qualified people answering SF questions.

Go do PT.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:22   #9
niners
Asset

Thank you all sincerely for your help and opinions, they have helped me greatly. I DEP'ed in as a 68W this morning and look forward to serving.
Old 01-12-2011, 21:07   #10
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
I DEP'ed in as a 68W this morning and look forward to serving.
Watch out, Beverly Hills! Good Luck.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57   #11
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I DEP'ed in as a 68W this morning and look forward to serving.
Good luck to you. Something to think about...our Civil Affairs element has their own medical course...it's a step up from your basic 68W and a good stepping stone towards becoming an 18D.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19   #12
Glima
Asset

Gentlemen,

Similar to Niners, I've reserved a slot to go 68w; though I wasn't DQ'd from 18x...from there I will be focusing my energy on finding the most efficient way to get to 18D.

Would you all see getting an option 4 or 40 as something which would greatly help me in this endeavour, and therefore should be insisted upon in the contract?

Some (The Recruiters) have advised me to perform to the best of my ability in training and wait to be singled out and asked to go Ranger or Airborne, though this adds an element of chance, with which I'm uncomfortable...I see this as more the recruiters looking to speed things up and get me out of their hair...

Thanks in advance for the tips.

-Glima

Last edited by Glima; 05-04-2011 at 08:22.
Glima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:25   #13
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

If you want an Airborne or Ranger option...then request it. If they say no, or it's not available, then tell them to call you when it is. No one is forcing you to sign a contract you're uncomfortable with.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 23:13   #14
Glima
Asset

Thanks for the advice. I'll be swearing in tomorrow.

Assuming all goes well with the contract, my ship date will be 20111017.

The recruiter told me he had nothing to do with getting me options like that, and to take it up with the liaison. Which I will be doing.
Glima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 23:19   #15
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glima View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll be swearing in tomorrow.

Assuming all goes well with the contract, my ship date will be 20111017.

The recruiter told me he had nothing to do with getting me options like that, and to take it up with the liaison. Which I will be doing.
Congrats, thanks for suiting up.

I'm posting a link for you to watch, enjoy.

http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.o...d-Tracy-3.aspx