Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 06-19-2017, 16:36   #1
tonyz
Area Commander

NORK Murderers

The kid probably shouldn't have been there and he should not have taken the poster but he did not deserve to die for that.

BREAKING - American student Otto Warmbier, 22, dies six days after being brought back to the US from North Korea in a coma following 17 months in prison for stealing a propaganda poster

Daily Mail
By Jennifer Smith For Dailymail.com
PUBLISHED: 16:39 EDT, 19 June 2017 | UPDATED: 18:21 EDT, 19 June 2017

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rth-Korea.html

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 16:56   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

Better that he die here than in NK at least as far as the NK's are concerned. No he did not deserve to meet the fate he did over there but how many times have we read about our citizens ending up in jail in one of these countries that no one in there right mind would visit?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:23   #3
Flagg
Area Commander

While Otto Warmbier was foolish for even visiting North Korea, they intentionally turned him into a geopolitical pawn of convenience.

A country that communicates using dead bodies of innocent, if misguided, young civilians as messages is a country that loses its right to co-exist.

Bury the country in free mobile phones and tablets pre-configured to receive free satellite/WiMAX internet to undermine leadership.

It's at times like this I wish the US had a non nuclear kinetic orbital bombardment system.

Making it rain in low-kiloton kinetic impact.

Erase every single nuclear, chemical, biological, and delivery system location.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54   #4
echoes
Area Commander

Have never had children but can only imagine the grief this family is going through.

Prayers out.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:50   #5
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
Have never had children but can only imagine the grief this family is going through.

Prayers out.

Holly
No doubt . Maybe even mixed in with them trying come to terms with the fact that they raised an ADULT who never fully understood that actions have consequences, sometimes very personal and life changing consequences that mommy and daddy and teachers can't save them from... actions like choosing to go to the DPRK on a trip and thus helping to support that regime financially and politically, while having the ability to fully know it's brutal nature and penchant for using US and other foreign tourists for political purposes (via ubuiquitous open source info).

Sympathy for the parents, who seeminly condoned,or encouraged his trip to the DPRK? (I wonder how this kid paid for that trip???) Um, maybe only a little. Sympathy for the MAN making the trip, not really so much. I'll save my sympathy for those that really deserve it. Like maybe the families of the sailors recently killed in the ship collision. Or the 17+yr old service members coming home maimed from some middle eastern shithole.

This is not about some kid. He is an ADULT, capable of voting, having a family, joining the military. He was not a minor or some random victim. He wanted adventure... and he got his money's worth... the adventure of a lifetime. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. In this case, a jackpot.

Definitely a Darwin award contender.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:05   #6
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
No doubt . Maybe even mixed in with them trying come to terms with the fact that they raised an ADULT who never fully understood that actions have consequences, sometimes very personal and life changing consequences that mommy and daddy and teachers can't save them from... actions like choosing to go to the DPRK on a trip and thus helping to support that regime financially and politically, while having the ability to fully know it's brutal nature and penchant for using US and other foreign tourists for political purposes (via ubuiquitous open source info).

Sympathy for the parents, who seeminly condoned,or encouraged his trip to the DPRK? (I wonder how this kid paid for that trip???) Um, maybe only a little. Sympathy for the MAN making the trip, not really so much. I'll save my sympathy for those that really deserve it. Like maybe the families of the sailors recently killed in the ship collision. Or the 17+yr old service members coming home maimed from some middle eastern shithole.

This is not about some kid. He is an ADULT, capable of voting, having a family, joining the military. He was not a minor or some random victim. He wanted adventure... and he got his money's worth... the adventure of a lifetime. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. In this case, a jackpot.

Definitely a Darwin award contender.
ABC Sir,

As always, your opinion is very valuable to me personally, as it is why reading what Special Forces Soldiers have to say is such a privilege to me.

Thank You ABC, again, your written words put thought process in high gear.

Holly

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:44   #7
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
ABC Sir,

As always, your opinion is very valuable to me personally, as it is why reading what Special Forces Soldiers have to say is such a privilege to me.

Thank You ABC, again, your written words put thought process in high gear.

Holly

Holly
I'm not totally heartless. I would not want to be those parents and be looking back thru my life and second guessing years of parenting decisions. But then again maybe they aren't doing that and simply blaming others (Obama, the US Gov't, the DPRK). I don't know them and I don't pretend to know what they are thinking. But regardless, he was their child , and loved, and undoubtably missed. Tough situation to be in for sure for them.
Old 06-20-2017, 19:38   #8
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Better that he die here than in NK at least as far as the NK's are concerned. No he did not deserve to meet the fate he did over there but how many times have we read about our citizens ending up in jail in one of these countries that no one in there right mind would visit?
It is too bad he died but there is a teaching point to be had the NK government has been brutal and have been telling the rest of the world to F-off for 60+ years and take liberties with others countries citizens foolish enough to think its hype. Every time some bleeding heart goes to NK and is imprisoned or killed he is helping prove the point of us who have been there and done that. There are dictators that need to die along with their most devout followers or. Guaranteed that once north of the DMZ they change their opinion about what tyranny is and does to people the only thing we have to do is bridge the divide between understanding the threat of tyranny and the reality of why it must be stopped. I very much believe in free choice even if I disagree and consequences that come from those choices.
Old 06-20-2017, 21:11   #9
Penn
Area Commander

Tragic for sure, but I question the decision process of choosing a semester abroad in not just a 3rd world country, but an oppressive regime, with a reputation for ruthless authoritarianism. As I enter this comment, I have a daughter abroad, we invested considerable time in discussing SA, basic E&E, Embassy location, and incountry POC from our clients for a safe stay should SHTF.

This kid was ill prepared, had zero SA, and acted with disregard of consequence. I would argue, that his death was caused by his arrogance and disregard for the very cultural education he was seeking as a student abroad.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 22:36   #10
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

This article suggests he may have been a communist sympathizer:

Quote:
Young Pioneer Tours, a travel operation that brings Western communist sympathizers into North Korea, Cuba, and other danger zones, announced Tuesday it will no longer accept Americans on its trips to North Korea following the death of Otto Warmbier.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...s-north-korea/

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:10   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
It's only June,,
And we have so many Top 5 finishers,, in the 2017 Darwin Award Championship Challenge..

My sympathies and condolences to Otto Warmbier's family and friends.

BUTT,, I do not want WW III started because this dump shiite and his parents had ZERO SA.

Play stupid games,, win stupid prizes..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:28   #12
Pete
Quiet Professional

2 countries

While there are war zones all over the world and large cities with dangerous areas two countries come to mind as immediate no go zones.

North Korea and Iran. They are always messing with visitors.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:53   #13
glebo
Quiet Professional

Hmm, I guess he missed the State Departments travel advisory memo....oh well..

Condolences to his family though....
Old 06-21-2017, 06:45   #14
abc_123
Quiet Professional

The young pioneer tours will no longer accept Americans for tours to the DPRK.

Hey at least we have the Chinese looking out for us.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:30   #15
EricV
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-TX View Post
This article suggests he may have been a communist sympathizer:
If so, the ironies abound. Be a commie, go to NK, get murdered over a poster, become a poster boy for idiocy.

The NORKs, had they any real brains, should have sent him back unharmed after a dinner with their "Glorious Leader" with as many posters as he could carry extolling the virtues of the N Korean State.