Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 05-09-2005, 10:29   #16
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

JPH,
That is a good idea and it works - for civilians - do you really think a soldier should be wandering around in the woods reeking of sulfur?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:31   #17
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey14
Will putting it on top of the skin above where the bastards are work also?

I don't have them, BTW.
I'm not following here. The idea is to cut off their air so they retract their teeth.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:45   #18
JPH
SF Candidate

Excellent point, I use a lot because I am not hiding from anyone… I was only thinking that a very small amount could be used with out the smell on feet and stuff. Only a professional would know if it smells more or less that normal multiple-day BO and if it would compromise anything. If anyone has any experience with this, let us know if this is a feasible idea. And if it wont work in the field, then it still works on your weekend backpacking trips with the kids.

JPH
JPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
JPH,
That is a good idea and it works - for civilians - do you really think a soldier should be wandering around in the woods reeking of sulfur?
Good point!

Only if it is from gunpowder.

Actually, the Chigg-Away works pretty well. I would stay off the veterinary Tick and Flea collars and the like, they have some nasty side effects.

Ticks have the nasty habit of dropping on you from elevated vegetation when you pass by, so they do not always climb up the boots, but I would consider putting bug juice and Chigg-Away on the outside of the boots to take that out of the equation. If you have to try a tick and flea collar, I would put it on the outside of my boot at the ankle, never in touch with skin.

The self-checks and buddy checks are the best way.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28   #20
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

I spend some time on a Tick farm in Arkansas. We use Coulstons with Permethrin. I don't know what the current military issue is, the Coulstons you spray on your gear, let it dry and it will work( the label says for 2 weeks). I have stayed tick free using it for days before reapplying.

We use nail polish and tweezers when we need to extract. Just be thorough, as mentioned above.
mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:30   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg
I spend some time on a Tick farm in Arkansas.
Near the Leech pond?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 13:31   #22
Archangel
BANNED USER

Hey thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg
I spend some time on a Tick farm in Arkansas. We use Coulstons with Permethrin. I don't know what the current military issue is, the Coulstons you spray on your gear, let it dry and it will work( the label says for 2 weeks). I have stayed tick free using it for days before reapplying.

We use nail polish and tweezers when we need to extract. Just be thorough, as mentioned above.
I'll check into Coulstons.

Say... is it just me or is it just really itchy in here?

*Scratch*

*Scratch*

Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 13:57   #23
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Near the Leech pond?

TR

I didn't start out to be around so many parasites. I just got lucky.
mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 21:36   #24
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Quote:
I'm not following here. The idea is to cut off their air so they retract their teeth.

What I was meaning was, would your method still work if you put it on the skin directly above where they are, if they are fully embedded inside. If that makes any sense.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 22:13   #25
72_Wilderness
Auxiliary

Yea Honor, are tick bites suppose to itch after the entire tick is removed? The tick was on my leg for over 18 hours before I discovered why I was itching. I would just scratch at it and go on. (I know it was a dumb thing to do now.) That was on April 23, the itching still comes and goes, less now than a few days ago.

A bath in bleach or finger nail polish will get rid of chiggers.
72_Wilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 22:17   #26
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

No, go see a Doc or your Medic.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-10-2005, 00:29   #27
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Quote:
Hello all

If the point s to cut off the air, why not try clingwrap on the area? Not wrap the whole area, but rather pull it tight on the skin to make a temporary seal.

I believe this used in hospitals to get leeches to come up for air, and then do a Henry VIII on them :-)

Seriousely, it may work.

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 20:28   #28
AngelsSix
Area Commander

ticks

Ticks tend to be bad here in NC and we used to get covered in them out on L.I. too (can you say tick research at Plum Island??)......may parents always used to get Vasiline on them and for the most part they would come right out on their own with no ill effects afterward. The last two ticks I had I pulled out with tweezers (one was in a really bad spot) and both times I had those spots itching for over a week. I am sure that pulling them out with tweezers will irritate the tick as much as anything else and have found that Vasiline is the lesser of two evils. If you are in doubt about whether you can safely remove ALL of the tick, go to the doc so they can get a magnifying lense over it and remove it properly for you.
The one tick I had in the spot I couldn't readily see only was found after I started feeling ill (flu like symptoms) and felt a weird twinge in that spot. I thought I had cut myself shaving or something. If not for the twinge, who knows how long he would have been there. I started to feel better after I pulled it out, but kept the thing in a ziplock bag in my freezer for a few weeks afterward just in case I had to go to the doc. I did identify it as one of the Lone Star ticks that carry Lyme disease. I was lucky that I didn't get sicker. Also, check out this link for tick ID and symptoms of Lyme disease.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 20:39   #29
lksteve
Quiet Professional

i still think TR had the best solution...you just want to be selective on bayonet size...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 23:17   #30
FrankS
On Probation

Sorry

I am sorry gentlemen but this is seriously cracking me up, I had a similiar situation when I was 10 living with my grandmother who could not help me so she had the neighbor lady come over and remove it, talk about scarring for life, I did not know the neighbor lady LOLOL. The question I have is was it really neccessary to point out (the TICK)
Quote:
Put a little nail polish or Vaseline on the little bastard (the tick), then about 15 minutes later, pull him off (the tick) with a slow steady pull. Don't break the head or mouth (of the tick) off.
And what are SF guys doing with clear nail polish?

Be gentle... Frank
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote