Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 09-02-2018, 17:52   #1
SOT(D)
Quiet Professional

SOT-Mott Lake...Who attended the course?

Just curious..Who may have attended the course at Mott Lake, the Special Operations Training course? I attended and then worked there, 1980-81. Who still has their shirts that Earle sold, or may have photos from their time there.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7961007-R2-E025.jpg (123.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 7961007-R2-E029.jpg (102.9 KB, 167 views)
SOT(D) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 19:43   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

Had the T-shirt and sweat shirt. Have the memories, ‘86. I was in the first (then) ASOT, now SFARTEC, in ‘87 done at Mott Lake. That was before the current ASOT existed.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 20:24   #3
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Interesting. We would have crossed paths as I did it twice, 80 and 81, both times in JAN-FEB. Memorable experiences (that proved invaluable years later). Sorry - no pictures and the T-shirt wore out >30 years ago.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:44   #4
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

Yep.

T-shirt is long gone though.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 13:48   #5
SOT(D)
Quiet Professional

T shirts and ASOT...

Oy...I have been away from all that for awhile! In talks with Elmer and Lowell, I learned of the transition to SFARTEC, but, figured it came after SOT, and then something more classified came next.
In 2007, while traveling to the mountains with my boys, I decided to stop by the old stomping grounds. Turning off of Plank road seemed normal enough. The nostalgia was stoked! Get to the end of the road into the compound, and wow. Everything gone! Save for the shed near the guard gate, fuel oil storage, and some water drainage manholes, everything was gone. Plowed under, asphalted over and then that was broken up. Very Roman empire-esque, a la Carthage! All that was missing was the salt!
Photos show the way in (the morning runs, as well as the sprint to the stop sign and back, before going into the indoor BB gun clearing practice...). Open fields, where the parking areas, mess hall, team rooms, supply warehouse, and main building, and helipad used to be. Wow. The last two pics are looking south from the gate area, towards Fryer DZ. The woods to the left are full of obstacles, bunkers, and razor wire. I do not recall it from back then, as we went into this area to do the STABO extractions. It must be something developed during the ramp up training for troops going to Iraq/Afghanistan. Or SFARTEC/ASOT training devices...but frontal assault stuff seems not in the purview of SOT type approaches.
T shirts? I am getting the original shirt made up on new screens, and starting the printing of them this. The standard, large emblem in the front. Small logos, on the left chest, will be next...then the SF Demo/Como/Medic/Weapons are to follow! You can find them at my facebook page: Michael Belanger/Grenadier Graphics and at the SF Brothers related page, SF Trading Post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sot air I.jpg (56.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg SOT-MLC 2007 (4).jpg (92.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg SOT-MLC 2007 (9).jpg (97.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg SOT-MLC 2007 (13).jpg (62.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg SOT-MLC 2007 (23).jpg (70.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg SOT-MLC 2007 (32).jpg (72.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 09-03-2018, 13:50   #6
SOT(D)
Quiet Professional

More on shirts

Here is what is in the offing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOT.jpg (33.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 09-03-2018, 14:06   #7
JimP
Quiet Professional

'81 or '82 myself. Paul Poole; Badnarek (?); and a bunch of legends teaching. T shirt would be most cool.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 14:28   #8
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

My T-Shirt wore out long ago...
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 16:30   #9
PRB
Quiet Professional

'82 I think...PPoole was still out there when my ODA went thru...summer time as I do remember the fatigue pants cut down to shorts with name tag/US Army on the legs.... cool guy gear

Would def pop for a coupla T's....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:36   #10
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

My team (535) went in 86' but I got stuck in Language school at Bragg then. Did pull guard duty there many times though. Decade later finally went thru SFARTEC.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:10   #11
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Most of my team (including CSM Zaiser...then a SSG) went through in 1991. Great training. Long guns...were truly long guns, complete with a Mag Light attached).
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 15:03   #12
MR2
Quiet Professional

January 1977 - Pre-Scuba. Lake was warmer than the base pool due to (Congress hates the Army) Army-wide fuel shortages.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 17:55   #13
CSM-H
Quiet Professional

SOT Mott Lake

Hey to all, went through in July/Aug 80, and then was assigned to the 7th Grp team ODA725. MSG Harry, Dillon, Mike Brown, John Humphries, Wayne Mallick, Ken Potter, Van Arsdale, Wayne Sigourney, Me (Earnie Holifield) and a couple of others.... It was an eye opening experience for my first SF assignment..... Left Jan '82. Never forget it and still shoot pretty well.... Lol CSM-H

PS: almost forgot, Michael Bellanger (sp) is on SF Brothers and 5th Grp site on Face Boke.... he is about to release those very t-shirts again!!! get in your order....
CSM-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 20:33   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM-H View Post
Hey to all, went through in July/Aug 80, and then was assigned to the 7th Grp team ODA725. MSG Harry, Dillon, Mike Brown, John Humphries, Wayne Mallick, Ken Potter, Van Arsdale, Wayne Sigourney, Me (Earnie Holifield) and a couple of others.... It was an eye opening experience for my first SF assignment..... Left Jan '82. Never forget it and still shoot pretty well.... Lol CSM-H

PS: almost forgot, Michael Bellanger (sp) is on SF Brothers and 5th Grp site on Face Boke.... he is about to release those very t-shirts again!!! get in your order....
Earnie:

Unless I missed something, SOT(D) above is Michael Bellanger.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 20:48   #15
exsquid
Quiet Professional

While we are discussing SOT and so much of our CQB stuff is an outgrowth of it, I have a small request. As I posted a while back in the 18C section, I am working on a research paper regarding the history of tactical breaching. Would any of you gentlemen care to share what was being taught at SOT during different time frames? Specifically I am looking at whether or not they were training ballistic breaching and if so what type of rounds were being utilized. Were they teaching manual breaching and if so what tools. Finally, what charges were being taught for explosive breaching. Although this is now almost ancient history I understand if guys would prefer to discuss this via PM. Thanks.

x/S