Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 04-28-2017, 10:01   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

China's first overseas base in Djibouti

Only 4 miles away from Camp Lemmonnier.
Shoot, they would SIGINT/IMINT the living **** of each other 24/7 365 !
Staging base for China's increased anti-piracy effort would provide the perfect cover for action/status.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chine...concern-2017-3
https://www.defensetech.org/2017/03/...ng-completion/

Countries have interests, not friends. $10,000,000 may be small chump change for China, but what is the collateral
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0VSS7_jVm8

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:10   #2
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

What is China's interest in Djibouti?

"Fuck that - man up - kick over the podium, piss on the teleprompter, wave your dick at the TV cameras and drop the mic' as you walk off the stage. " - the QP formerly known as BillyLBach
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:20   #3
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand View Post
Google "strategic attractions/relevance of Djibouti" - some articles have been done previously.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:50   #4
LarryW
Area Commander

"String of Pearls"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand View Post
Oil and economic influence. Part of a string of ports throughout southern Asia which provide China with access to oil and influence. In the case of Djibouti its just another camels nose under the tent into Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwadar_Port

Gwadar Port is especially interesting for the presence of PLAN ships and brokerage between Pakistan and Iran. China already has a land pipeline from Iran to western China. China is serious.

and...

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/...-persian-gulf/

and...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...utionary-guard

The dragon is loose and there's no getting it back into its bottle.

Last edited by LarryW; 04-28-2017 at 14:20.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 14:20   #5
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

That was eye opening LarryW, thank you.

This raises many more questions in my mind but I will read further.

"Fuck that - man up - kick over the podium, piss on the teleprompter, wave your dick at the TV cameras and drop the mic' as you walk off the stage. " - the QP formerly known as BillyLBach
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:17   #6
LarryW
Area Commander

The Russian POV

Yes, consider the Sputnik source, but more perspective on the Chinese move into Djibouti. I think the whole "resort" angle is Somali creative writing.

The Chinese are serious about expanding their influence on all levels (economic, military, and political) into Africa as well as anywhere else they can find an audience. China has been breaking out for years, and if you imagine that Communism is a domestic product unique to mainland China, think again.

Quote:
“The Chinese military base will serve as a starting point for the development of tourism and we believe that it will pay off,” Osman Abdi Mohamed said, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported.

Chinese investors have set their eyes on the shore of the Ras Siyyan Peninsula in the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait.

Bab-el-Mandeb means “Gate of Sorrow” in Arabic. The strait received its name because of the many dangers that could be encountered while sailing across the strait.

The district, which China intends to develop, is located between the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

According to the reports, China is building its military facility in Djibouti to deal with pirates in this region. The coast is located only 20 kilometers from the Yemeni island of Perim.

This makes the coastal waters of Djibouti one of the best places in the world to observe that kind of marine life.

Djibouti is already reaping some rewards of China’s involvement. By virtue of its level of economic development, Djibouti would have never laid a trans-boundary water pipeline from Ethiopia.

The pipeline, which is being built with Chinese participation, will provide fresh water to local residents and foreign tourists.

In April, the construction of a multifunctional port is going to be completed. Chinese companies have invested billions of dollars into this port.

(more)

https://sputniknews.com/africa/20170...n_626010&ues=1
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:57   #7
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Yes, consider the Sputnik source, but more perspective on the Chinese move into Djibouti. I think the whole "resort" angle is Somali creative writing.

The Chinese are serious about expanding their influence on all levels (economic, military, and political) into Africa as well as anywhere else they can find an audience. China has been breaking out for years, and if you imagine that Communism is a domestic product unique to mainland China, think again.
I saw them personally in Africa and my friends their told me though they had been there for years and years. Chinese have something Americans don't and that is patience they will play the long game and take inches until they are so far dug into Africa in every way that Africans will be dependent. I believe the S. Africans were fighting Chinese communism expansion in the 60-70's if I remember right.

All the infrastructure that supports exploitation of the natural resources on that continent is not built by African companies for their own use. Co opting African labor to build roads, airstrips and railroads to get the oil ,diamonds ,gold,cotton , uranium etc......over generations is genius for a country with the patience

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 05-02-2017 at 09:02.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:55   #8
Quartz_MJC
Quiet Professional

China is making it's presence known in central/ South America. They have been in Panama for some time and back in 2004 were making a quiet entrance into Peru which has grown to this day. China's desire to increase its global influence is real and we better take it seriously.
Quartz_MJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 15:53   #9
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
I saw them personally in Africa and my friends their told me though they had been there for years and years. Chinese have something Americans don't and that is patience they will play the long game and take inches until they are so far dug into Africa in every way that Africans will be dependent. I believe the S. Africans were fighting Chinese communism expansion in the 60-70's if I remember right.

All the infrastructure that supports exploitation of the natural resources on that continent is not built by African companies for their own use. Co opting African labor to build roads, airstrips and railroads to get the oil ,diamonds ,gold,cotton , uranium etc......over generations is genius for a country with the patience
I remember looking at the inbound/outbound flight boards in Nairobi nearly a decade ago with the majority coming from/going to China thinking "Hoooooly sh!&!".

But then it shouldn't be a surprise with China being in Zambia and Tanzania since the 1960's and winning the 2 way war in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe back in 1980 with Mugabe/ZANLA beating the Soviet ZIPRA and naive west.

A battle of inches....but a whole lot of inches over the last 40-50 years.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:44   #10
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Oil and economic influence. Part of a string of ports throughout southern Asia which provide China with access to oil and influence. In the case of Djibouti its just another camels nose under the tent into Africa.
There is a market there, just ask Frontier Services Group...

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote