Old 10-20-2015, 14:49   #1
trkracer123
Asset

AD Marine Pilot to AD Army Enlisted

Good Afternoon gentleman,

I have been a lurker on this site as well as several others for a few weeks and I am attempting to glean some information on the topic stated above- Transfering to Army SF. With that being said, I have not quite found the information I have been looking for. Can anyone here help?

I am a Captain in the Corps and Cobra Pilot and would like to conduct a transfer to Army SF. Why- I have taken flying in the Marine Corps as far as it can go and all that’s left is flying a desk for the majority of my career remaining. Reason for SF- you guys are professionals, I can continue to be in the fight, and I've enjoyed working for Team guys and shooting for you in the past. I’d like to be a part of what you do.

After reviewing what I can find on the internet, i have found im too senior a Captain to come over as an officer so enlisting is my only option- I have no issues with that. However, I cannot find a recruiter who knows how this process would work. Conducting an IST, resigning my commission, and getting a packet approved seems to be outside most recruiters scope. I contacted HRC and the gentleman I spoke with didn’t have any info to offer. If anyone has any information on the subject id appreciate any help I get.

There are multiple threads on here pertaining to this subject although most do not seem to have a resolution. Thanks for going easy on me here....

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by trkracer123; 10-20-2015 at 14:50. Reason: *Spelling
trkracer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 15:41   #2
Scimitar
Area Commander

Have you spoken to SORB?

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 15:45   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

I'm a retired guy so can't really help directly but there has to be a way to do this.

I had a 1Lt. Team leader (back in the day when we had Lt's) that was a great guy.
He resigned his commission and enlisted for the 1st Ranger Bn.
I saw him later as a Corporal promotable and he was very pleased with his decision.

An enlisted SF soldier can stay under the rucksack until he makes SGM...and at Company level you can still go out with ODA's (as an extra hand). I did love that.

You could also go the Warrant route and stay on a Team until you are older than dirt...a good friend comes to mind (Gag).

It can be done if you find the right SOF Recruiter and someone here should be able to hook you up.

BTW, you'd still have to be successful at SFAS and the Q so have plan B ready too.

Luck.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 16:22   #4
MR2
Quiet Professional

What about SOAR?

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 19:43   #5
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
What about SOAR?
i.e The 160th SOAR!!!
Old 10-20-2015, 20:07   #6
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Also SORB:

http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/sf.htm
Old 10-21-2015, 06:43   #7
trkracer123
Asset

Thank you for the responses gentleman.

1. I have spoken to SORB. They have IST program, although it applies to Officer to Officer or Enlisted to Enlisted transfers. I was reccomened to a Recruiter. The Recruiter reccomended me to SORB. I will keep trying, but dont want to piss anyone off over there, either.

2. I have thought a great deal about SOAR. I have contacted the unit. At this time they are not taking or entertainig transfers from other branches.

3. My main goal at this time is to go SF. I want to be apart of what you gentleman do. Albiet, I have very little knowledge of what its really like. I can understand most here thinking im crazy for such a decsion. If someone told me they were going to quit their job(assuming it was a "decent" one) and make a total career change to come fly Cobras. Id tell them they are nuts. Its not what people think and not as great as they may imagine. Certainly not romantic.

At this point im just looking for info on how this transfer can be accomplished. In the mean time, I will be reading through this site and others like it to gain a better understading of what i'm really getting into.

Thank you for the responses thus far.
Old 10-21-2015, 17:53   #8
MR2
Quiet Professional

I seem to recall one of our brothers here went to OCS and flight school, flying Cobras in Desert Storm.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 21:52   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Your best bet might be the National Guard.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 23:08   #10
Scimitar
Area Commander

I'm a little foggy on the recruiting stuff now, but can't you simply resign your commission and walk into an Army rec post and enlist 18x? The only thing I can think stopping you is if you're over 30, and even then I wonder if your TIS could waiver that easily? What am I missing here?

The other option is the ARNG 18x version probably still has the 35 yo limit, and staying in AD side after the Q, isn't always frowned upon by the ARNG unit that sponsored you. Some ARNG units have a version of enlisting where the unit doesn't really own you until you graduate the Q, so if they loss you to AD, its the state that's losing you not the 19th or 20th group unit, so none cares too much. Things may have changed?

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 10-21-2015 at 23:14.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 19:28   #11
Jgood
Quiet Professional

My Jr was a Marine infantry CPT. He actually ETSed waited 1yr and enlisted in the Army as an 18X, submitted a grade termination waiver and came back in as a E6(sounds about right j/k). I also had a Marine CPT in SFAS that was able to branch transfer after resigning his commission. It is possible as are a lot of things it is finding that person willing to do the extra work for your unique situation. Sorb is your best bet, but it is possible.
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 15:03   #12
trkracer123
Asset

Thank you gentleman for those that have given advice.

I spoke with the Guard several weeks back and that is a great option and one that I'm exploring. Obviously with that comes it's own unique challenges with civilian employment, but I'm working that out too. My interest with the guard is actually one of the reasons I became curious about my options for active duty, leading me to my question here. Additionally, I met an SF alum, and he has been gracious enough to guide and advise me on the topics too. He has proved extremely helpful and gracious- another testament to the professionalism and high caliber individuals among your ranks.

As far as the 160th goes that too is on my radar.

To clarify, while I would be too senior to be a SF Officer by the time I get out of the Corps I am by no means implying I'm a "senior officer". I still have some time left in my squadron and owed to the corps. I'm mostly attempting to gather information on possible COA 's to guide me in my decision making process for when and if I do get out. I don't want to take orders in 15 months from now and get more time added to my contract if I'm planning to get out. Or worse- deny orders and EAS without a plan.

I hope that doesn't reflect poorly on my commitment or determination. I will be all in for what ever path I take. Again, I'm just trying to determine the feasibility of various COA's and make the best decision for me, my family, and what ever unit I may have to honor to serve with in the future. Thanks for the advice
Old 10-25-2015, 15:05   #13
trkracer123
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgood View Post
My Jr was a Marine infantry CPT. He actually ETSed waited 1yr and enlisted in the Army as an 18X, submitted a grade termination waiver and came back in as a E6(sounds about right j/k). I also had a Marine CPT in SFAS that was able to branch transfer after resigning his commission. It is possible as are a lot of things it is finding that person willing to do the extra work for your unique situation. Sorb is your best bet, but it is possible.
That would be ideal, Sir. Although, per the current Army business rules I'm not eligible for an 18X contract. But you never know how things will change by the time I get out. It's encouraging to know its been done. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-26-2015, 13:21   #14
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Are they not accepting prior service again as X-rays. Have you thought about staying in your branch and going to MARSOC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkracer123 View Post
That would be ideal, Sir. Although, per the current Army business rules I'm not eligible for an 18X contract. But you never know how things will change by the time I get out. It's encouraging to know its been done. Thanks for sharing.
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 16:32   #15
trkracer123
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgood View Post
Are they not accepting prior service again as X-rays. Have you thought about staying in your branch and going to MARSOC?
Yes, I have. I spoke with them today oddly enough. Too senior of a Captain to go to A & S. I'll be out of the year group by 6 months. I think the NG is the wisest decision for me at this time. Until then I'll just be training hard for a chance to assess and the opportunity to serve on a team on day.