Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 05-10-2014, 14:24   #16
Altruist
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
You don't really know what you (will) want to do. Come back in five years to discuss this as you can't even get into the door to try out until then. In the mean time study hard and get good grades, don't do illegal dope, and stay clear of the law man by not breaking the law.
Good luck.
I know I want to help others, but I understand what you mean. I have a few more years to plan ahead, so you might be right.

Last edited by Altruist; 05-10-2014 at 17:42.
Altruist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 14:43   #17
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altruist View Post
I know I want to help others, but i understand what you mean. I have a few more years to plan ahead, so you might be right.
Ok, time for you to concentrate more on reading and less on posting.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 15:32   #18
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Altruist. My prediction is that you will be wearing a uniform with your last name on it. Whether it's a military uniform or not is up to you.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:33   #19
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I know I want to help others, but I understand what you mean. I have a few more years to plan ahead, so you might be right.

Altruist, in our world understand we are soldiers first and do what we are told to do on behalf of U.S. policy even if we personally don't agree.

At the age of 16 you have alot of maturing to go through til adulthood which means you feel like this today but in a few years who knows what you may want to do. Take life one day at a time and do your best today and every day forward.

The infantry is a great and noble career choice, the branch is full of warriors due to the fact that the the job of infantryman exists for one purpose. A good infantryman makes a great Green Beret since they have had the tactical mindset beat into their heads 24/7

Do you really understand what Altruism is?
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:23   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
What is Rule 10 of this Bulletin Board?

There is a reason for it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 13:25   #21
Altruist
Asset

I didn't know that rule.

Last edited by Altruist; 11-18-2016 at 03:24.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:44   #22
Altruist
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Altruist, in our world understand we are soldiers first and do what we are told to do on behalf of U.S. policy even if we personally don't agree.

At the age of 16 you have alot of maturing to go through til adulthood which means you feel like this today but in a few years who knows what you may want to do. Take life one day at a time and do your best today and every day forward.

The infantry is a great and noble career choice, the branch is full of warriors due to the fact that the the job of infantryman exists for one purpose. A good infantryman makes a great Green Beret since they have had the tactical mindset beat into their heads 24/7

Do you really understand what Altruism is?
Altruism to me is to help someone without expecting anything in return. The story of Superman is a good example of this, even though he's a fictional character, I always found it noble how he would save people's lives while putting himself in danger.

Update: I got 18 semester credits, so I'm a "tier-1" applicant. My enlistment papers are finished, but I took the ASVAB two years ago, so I have to retake it. My scores were fine though. I'm slacking physically, I can reach the minimums to get in, but I feel like I won't be able to keep up my strength while in basic training, so I want to exceed the minimum scores by a fair margin. I'm sure I will be ready by the time I'm out of the delayed entry program - this is so I can reach the minimum age requirement for my 18x contract - and ship out.

As for everything in my original post, my recruiter says I'm fine. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice a couple years ago, I wish you all the best.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:54   #23
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Altruism to me is to help someone without expecting anything in return. The story of Superman is a good example of this, even though he's a fictional character, I always found it noble how he would save people's lives while putting himself in danger.

Update: I got 18 semester credits, so I'm a "tier-1" applicant. My enlistment papers are finished, but I took the ASVAB two years ago, so I have to retake it. My scores were fine though. I'm slacking physically, I can reach the minimums to get in, but I feel like I won't be able to keep up my strength while in basic training, so I want to exceed the minimum scores by a fair margin. I'm sure I will be ready by the time I'm out of the delayed entry program - this is so I can reach the minimum age requirement for my 18x contract - and ship out.

As for everything in my original post, my recruiter says I'm fine. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice a couple years ago, I wish you all the best.
Good luck to you and take your time if you want to be a Green Beret, you cannot hurry maturity and that is what we need.
Old 11-20-2016, 13:55   #24
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm slacking physically, I can reach the minimums to get in, but I feel like I won't be able to keep up my strength while in basic training, so I want to exceed the minimum scores by a fair margin. I'm sure I will be ready by the time I'm out of the delayed entry program - this is so I can reach the minimum age requirement for my 18x contract - and ship out.
Good luck with your 18X future. Seems like you've been persistent and overcome some administrative obstacles. That's a good thing.

Now get seriously persistent with PT. Minimums for joining the Army (and making it through Basic Training) won't suffice for the 18X Selection & Assessment program. Your minimum goal is to max all PT test events for the youngest age group... on your worst day. And become a long distance running/rucking machine. Not kidding about this. If you view yourself as "slacking physically", you'd best grab that bull by the horns right now... and get in hard shape. Before you get to Basic.

No physical tests encountered in Basic Training should seriously challenge you. If they do, you're unlikely to make the cut for SF. Army Basic Training is relatively easy. The SF accessions process is not.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:17   #25
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

My first time seeing this old thread.

I am glad that this kid has stuck to his guns and has done what is required to enlist. He goes in (in my eyes) with a clean slate.

To Altruist. You need to constantly self evaluate. You started off life (as a teen) going in the wrong direction. I assume you saw that was happening and decided to change. The problem for you will be temptation. In the military in general your peers are going to want to party or do this or that. One slip up can destroy everything you worked for. If you make it to SF, it will be even HARDER! All of the tempatations are there AND you know you can get away with it because you work generally unsupervised. This can destroy your career and your life.

Don't think that because you went SF and made it, that you came from Krypton (your refrence, not mine). All of us here can probably count out 10 incidences of SF guys being arrested in foreign countries, destroying their marriages, doing drugs (especially us holier-than-thou 18Ds), all the way up to murder and pedaphilia. I hope you have conquered your demons and that your head is on straight now, because the devil WILL tempt you (and she generally has dark hair and brown skin).

Make sure your foundation is on solid ground going in! Know and live by a set of morals and ethics, because when you encounter the devil, you had better know what you're already going to say.

Buenas suertes
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:57   #26
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Wanted to add my own .02 cents. Congrats on turning yourself around and recognizing your own shortcomings. Being able to recognize those areas you need to work on...and working on them, is a good trait. Wish you success as you move forward.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote