Old 01-29-2004, 23:00   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Tips for the SF Student

This is a list of tips with dos and don'ts for those entering the SF Pipeline, let me just toss the first few up off the top of my head. Other personnel who have completed training please add to the list as you see fit.

o Prepare yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally for the Course. Do the five week PT prep, do not cheat or slack off. Show up at the peak of your game. When your buddies are out partying, stay back and go to the gym. When they are sleeping late, be out rucking. On the weekend when they are playing Nintendo, go out and run. Do not sign up unless you want to be SF more than anything in the world. Keep that thought and your head in the game. Do not worry about what else might be going on in the world outside training. Focus.

o Don't be late, don't be light, and don't be lost.

o Follow all instructions to the letter.

o Do the best that you can whether you think you are being evaluated, or not.

o Keep a positive frame of reference and a sense of humor at all times.

o Be a good leader, as well as a good follower.

o Offering a constructive suggestion once before a decision is made is helpful. Continuing to push it or bringing it up after the order is issued is counterproductive and marks you as a complainer.

o Help your friends any time you can. If the other guy is dragging ass, or having trouble humping team gear, what have you done to help him? Complaining about it or criticizing him will not help, and will mark you as a poor team player. Help your teammates succeed whenever possible. This will pay dividends on YOUR evaluation.

o Never be the first to sit down, or the last to get up. That extends to not being the first asleep, the last awake, or the first to break out chow.

o You will be training while it is raining, hot, cold, wet, dry, hungry, hurt, etc. Bear in mind that everyone else is experiencing the same things, and keeping your self-pity and snivels to yourself marks you as the kind of person we are looking for, and will not hurt you with your peers.

o Try not to get hurt. If you have a real injury beyond minor aches and pains, go see the Doc. People have completed the Trek/LRIM/etc. with broken bones and blisters covering their entire feet. Mind over matter, gents. Your body will press on as long as your mind tells it to. Once you start doubting yourself, it is all over.

o Do not worry too much before attending training about academic shortcomings. The best trainers in the world are SF soldiers. You will be taught everything you need to know in a crawl, walk, run methodology. You will be tested, and if you fail, retrained and retested.

o Do not worry about bringing the latest Gucci gear to training. make sure that what you bring is legal, proper, well broken in, and servicable. You can blow that bonus on gear after you get to a team.

o Make sure that your spouse supports you in your quest, and you can trust her to take care of business while you are gone. You will be gone a lot if you complete training, and you don't need to be distracted by thoughts of what she might be up to while you are out at Camp Mackall for a few weeks. Cold truth: if you can't trust her (or she can't trust you), DX her.

o Focus on the 25m. target. I would not worry excessively about my language training before completing SFAS, or my promotion opportunities in the various MOSes while still in High School.

o We do not need cocky or arrogant people. We are looking for "assured confidence". That means your ass can cash the checks your mouth is writing, and you do not boast unnecessarily about it.

o Do not self-select, let the instructors evaluate you. Do not assume that you have no hope of being selected because of your performance. Strange things happen.

o Complete the course. If nothing else, you will have learned what the course contains, be better prepared when you return, and will have learned that you cannot be broken. Quitting is one lesson that you do not want to acquire during your SF experience.

o The final and most important point is to NEVER EVER QUIT. Make the instructors have to physically remove you from the course and restrain you to put you on the truck back to Bragg. Make them have to carry you out on a stretcher. The next hill might be the last one. How will you feel if you quit with victory in your grasp?

You can be the Gray Man, but be sure that you ARE The Man and are still standing when all is said and done. Then you will need no excuses about what happened.

Good luck, men.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 20:05   #2
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Holy necro-post! Had to resurrect this thread.

Recent Grads should dog pile on this to help our aspiring candidates...
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 18:14   #3
Spartan12
Asset

Thumbs up

Great Post. Thank You for your time to write this.
Old 03-14-2007, 20:41   #4
Books
Quiet Professional

I'd like to add one that I'm experiencing now: never be afraid to ask educated questions about what you're doing to insure you get the absolute most out of your training. Some of the training the Q has to offer is ONLY offered at SWTG and it comes to you very fast and then you move on. Sometimes you have the luxury of being well rested and enjoying the company of your peers. Other times you been lucky to average two - three hours a night for the last few weeks and you can't stand the sh_t head next to you (who just last week was yr best bud). Anger and frustration at your sometimes crappy situation should not preclude your getting the best training possible.

The next time you see the material might be down range and you don't want that time to be the moment when you say, "now how did I finish up this emergency amputation?" (10 ltrs NaCL, wet/dry, bulky dressing, traction on skin, move to higher if possible, granulation if not)

Training is a two-way street. The NCOs and a few Os teach you; you learn. Your involvement in that process is part and parcel of the phenomenon that is education. Essentially, one plus one equals five, or, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. You're one of those parts (as are your fellow students) and the better student you are, the better the experience will be for everyone.

So there it is: Be an involved, committed student of your chosen profession. Don't be afraid to ask questions, listen to the answers and drive on to the next objective.

Good luck!
Books

- Jack Moroney
Old 03-15-2007, 15:31   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Drinking

• If you drink DO NOT DRIVE, if you drive don't drink.

BLUF: If your drinking and you can’t get a fat chic to get you back home, take a cab or if you don’t have money, call the SWTG Taxi. Use what Student Company gave you and what you were born with – Ur head, the big one!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 15:04   #6
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Last edited by Slantwire; 01-07-2010 at 10:09.
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 20:23   #7
nito8777
Asset

I would like to add what a QP Friend of mine said to me. the first time I asked him for advice.

"dude all i ever did was ranger and sf stuff...and loved all of it... even when
it sucked... you know why?... because there is always someone sucking more then you...

couple things to remember... "P" is for plenty... follow the KISS Principle (keep it simple stupid)... theres no problem that can't be fixed with a high powered rifle.... you can't get ballistics off a bat... and the one that got me through most
shit.... just remember... your body will do 10 times more then your mind thinks
it will... so never quit..."

i thought it was good advice.
Old 04-20-2007, 21:56   #8
7624U
Quiet Professional

few other choice words of wisdom

" Make The Knot none slip or your Rucksack will be empty plenty times"

" My Pen is mighter then your mouth"

" Dont try to trade my walking stick for your rifle, I can always make a new one"

" Take the lens cap off your NVG's and you can see"

" Never bury the dead or you will go hungry"

" Wear Ear protection"

" Check the bushes you are using for camo, it could be your worst nightmare"

" look at the bright side it will be over soon, unless you recycle"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 19:55   #9
Spartan12
Asset

Thank you for your wisdom. I'll never quit.
Old 08-01-2007, 20:28   #10
Savoy6
Quiet Professional

The Reaper has shared some fine wisdom here. Thanks Sir.
Savoy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 21:53   #11
jag36
Asset

Great thread TR, and everyone else that posted helpful hints. Thanks and keep em coming.
Old 09-01-2007, 19:04   #12
Thor23x
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito8777
I would like to add what a QP Friend of mine said to me. the first time I asked him for advice.

"dude all i ever did was ranger and sf stuff...and loved all of it... even when
it sucked... you know why?... because there is always someone sucking more then you...

couple things to remember... "P" is for plenty... follow the KISS Principle (keep it simple stupid)... theres no problem that can't be fixed with a high powered rifle.... you can't get ballistics off a bat... and the one that got me through most
shit.... just remember... your body will do 10 times more then your mind thinks
it will... so never quit..."

i thought it was good advice.
I really like this post for some reson especailly the part where u say your body will do 10x's more then ur mind thinks that is a good motivator espesically when u run ( i run everyday) but when it hurts u cant quit b/c once ur able to break that threashold u cant be stopped
Thor23x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 19:37   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor23x
I really like this post for some reson especailly the part where u say your body will do 10x's more then ur mind thinks that is a good motivator espesically when u run ( i run everyday) but when it hurts u cant quit b/c once ur able to break that threashold u cant be stopped
Thor:

Let me be blunt.

We don't care what you think. You haven't done anything yet in your short life.

That would also seem to include paying attention in English class. This isn't myspace or a text message site. If you cannot spell, capitalize, or use proper punctuation and grammar, stop posting here.

As a matter of fact, IIRC, we ask members of your age not to post here at all. Why do you think that what you have to add here is worth the bandwidth?

TR
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:59   #14
bobby efurd
Quiet Professional

Never lie!

Just thought I would add one more.

Always follow the honor code. Never ever lie to your instructors. Always tell the truth even if it may mean pain and suffering. It could mean the the difference between passing or failing.
In 1980 during phase 1 of the Q course we were told to prepare for a four day patrol. We were issued c-rations for the patrol. We were also told what ever we packed in pack out.
On day three, with little or no sleep, a fatal mistake was made. During a RON, several of the men decided to lighten their loads by digging cat holes and disposing of their empty c-rat cans. Little did we know the instructors came behind us the next morning to inspect the RON site.
Each trainee was pulled to the side and asked if they had buried anything at the RON site. Then we were required to empty our rucks.
Three men were pulled from the patrol never to be heard from again.
Never think your instructors have not seen it all.
Thank God my ruck had a lot of empty cans in it.
bobby efurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 16:00   #15
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

Never be afraid to ask the question "is this how I would do things in real life?" This is key when you are conflicted with the school house solution or common sense real life two way range solution. Although you are required to play the game in any school house environment, the Q Course rewards those who think, and those who often think outside the box.

Bottomline, if it looks F'ed up, then it's F'ed up. Do something about it.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote