Old 02-03-2007, 12:54   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Dealer

DO HAVE TO HAVE Broadband Service for the net?? If so, this will or could drive where you will buy. Outside of Cumberland county it's hard to get cable BB. FYI.
Not in this part of Moore County.

TW Cable, phone, and high speed internet access.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 13:12   #17
Pete
Quiet Professional

Moore County

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Not in this part of Moore County.

TR
I hear revaluation in Moore County is due out the end of this month. Wonder if the county will make it revenue neutral and lower the tax rate? Cumberland County went "Yippie, extra money, let's spend it all."

Fayetteville has that extra $5 per vehicle tax and you get the little city sticker. Every time I get one I stick it on my green roll-out. With 4 vehicles I'm getting quite the collection.

Tuesday is vote day on the 6-3 City Council Referendum. I'll be there.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 14:14   #18
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Home

If you are into living in the country west Hoke County is nice where I live. We even have Broad Band out here in the sticks. Only really big downside to living in Hoke is the public Schools. The School system here is a joke. If you have young kids think hard about home schooling or private school if you can afford it.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:50   #19
Marauder06
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C
I live 25-30 minutes north of Bragg in Carolina Lakes…its past Spring Lake but not quite Sanford. I like it but it does take 30 minutes to get anywhere!
Carolina Lakes is a great neighborhood. We just bought a house a little bit north of there in a new development. Lots of good places due north of the installation on 87/24, straight shot down to either Pope or Bragg. I highly recommend the area.

W-M, I've got a great realator and a bunch of Fayetteville information we've picked up that I would be glad to send to your friend if he needs it.

Last edited by Marauder06; 02-04-2007 at 08:03.
Marauder06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 16:46   #20
Books
Quiet Professional

Haymount

My wife and I live in a nice place in Haymount, 15 minutes from post if I drive the speed limit. We don't have kids, but are told that the schools are nice. The neighborhood is quiet, older homes (older money) and is a brisk walk from downtown Fayetteville (Hay Street). Good luck with the hunt!

Books

- Jack Moroney
Old 02-06-2007, 18:44   #21
Dealer
Quiet Professional

My wife and I took a trip down there this past weekend. Liked houses and prices in Hoke County, but it seems that the area is growing so rapidly it is hard to say what it will be like in a couple years (traffic, crowding). We spent Sunday looking at houses in Moore county, which we liked quite a bit. MUCH nicer area. To test commute time, we drove from the west side of Pinehurst onto post; ~35 minutes @ just over the speed limit to Longstreet gate. I'm willing to eat that...the area is just that much nicer.

JD
Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 20:21   #22
Mav
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer
My wife and I took a trip down there this past weekend. Liked houses and prices in Hoke County, but it seems that the area is growing so rapidly it is hard to say what it will be like in a couple years (traffic, crowding). We spent Sunday looking at houses in Moore county, which we liked quite a bit. MUCH nicer area. To test commute time, we drove from the west side of Pinehurst onto post; ~35 minutes @ just over the speed limit to Longstreet gate. I'm willing to eat that...the area is just that much nicer.

JD

It's worth it.. go with Moore Cty.. I'm telling you, go with Moore Cty! Hoke has its up sides... like...

distance from post and it's in the country. I knew there was one...

Nah, seriously, Hoke is okay, but I would HIGHLY recommend Moore Cty.. Lee as your next choice, but obviously, much farther than Southern Sanford and you're talking a bit of a drive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPL Mick Bekowsky, USMC, 6 Sep 2004, Fallujah --- Never Forgotten
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 22:17   #23
Shar
Guerrilla

On-post?

We think we'd like to live on-post during the Q course (assuming all goes well). From what I've seen on the Fort Bragg housing web site the wait would be less than 4 weeks for the house we'd qualify for but I'm well aware that all housing offices shade the truth. What is the situation out there with housing on-post? Can we get housing on-post with a PCS for the Q course (I know at Benning for the advanced course they put the CPTs in shacks on-post that really shouldn't still be habitable - they don't pull something akin to that do they)?

If we can avoid buying a house, I'd like to - but if we are going to need to buy something that's fine. I just need time to prepare because I'm not a huge fan of rent if I can avoid it and make the numbers work.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2007, 22:27   #24
Daver
Quiet Professional

Don't buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar
We think we'd like to live on-post during the Q course (assuming all goes well). From what I've seen on the Fort Bragg housing web site the wait would be less than 4 weeks for the house we'd qualify for but I'm well aware that all housing offices shade the truth. What is the situation out there with housing on-post? Can we get housing on-post with a PCS for the Q course (I know at Benning for the advanced course they put the CPTs in shacks on-post that really shouldn't still be habitable - they don't pull something akin to that do they)?

If we can avoid buying a house, I'd like to - but if we are going to need to buy something that's fine. I just need time to prepare because I'm not a huge fan of rent if I can avoid it and make the numbers work.

Thanks!
Avoid buying until you know for sure where hes going. If you buy, stay small and stay in moore county...Aberdeem, S. Pines, and Pinehurst, Whispering Pines...the moore county phone book has 21 pages of lawyers and 19 pages of Doctors...do the math, Good luck.
Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar

Thanks!
Shar:

That would really surprise me if the wait were that short. I haven't checked in the past year or two, but family housing waits on Bragg are normally in the 18-24 month range.There are tons of decent apartments near Bragg, but if you have a desire to live in a house, get out of the Fayetteville area and look around Moore County, as daver advised.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-09-2007, 18:21   #26
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer

JD
Check out the Zoning laws. Growth is good for land investment. My wife moved to NC in 90 from Cali and paid $15,000 for the original 12 acres. Worth a bit more today. I had to pay double that a few years later when we married. Had to buy 23 more acres surrounding us when the owner retired and was going to split his land up to sell. The land around you is just as important as your's. If I couldn't of bought that 23 acres I probably would of moved.
Sucked my entire savings account dry, owner knew I needed it. I could of ended up with a house a few hundred meters from mine I call it my 22 acre Mote today. The old saying that small towns are good because everyone knows each other. It can also screw you over.
Where I live you have to have at least ten acres to put in any type of trailer. Five acres for a house. At least 200 yards from other houses. The people who live here are the only ones who can change this, based on a vote. Problem is no one tells you when a vote is scheduled. Have to check yourself. Realtors who want to put up trailer parks have tried to sneak votes in on us.
We check the local paper religiously to see if someone requested a vote. They have no shame. I was called one night to get my ass down to city council asap. City council member decided to grant a vote without posting it in the paper prior. Funny the three Realtors who own land by me but don't live there were mysteriously present, one being the brother of the council member who granted the vote. Would of taken years to fix, It's an Hoke County thing.
We know have a friend on the city council who lives by us. He doesn't want trailer parks around any more then us. When new people move in we educate them on living in Green Acres. My dealings in Hoke could fill an entire season of Green Acres.
Old 05-09-2007, 20:54   #27
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

If I were doing it all over I again I would live close to post until you know what your group assignment is. The last year I was in the course I moved in to a nice apartment complex right off Cliffdale and All American - Legacy at Crosscreek - and never regreted that move. Suddenly, trips home for lunch were a snap. Forgot my dog tags for a pre-jump? No problem, I'll be back before they get to the "P's."

You jump through a lot of hoops as a student in the course. I would make that as simple as possible by shortening the gap between post and work.

My 0.02.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53   #28
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

One more note...

Plenty of guys I went to the course with lived on post and were happy with it. That was especially true of guys with family's who enjoyed the extra security of being on post in a city that leaves a lot to be desired in that respect.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:25   #29
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I will have to admit that my initial take was as a cadre member and not as a student.

D9's points are well taken. If you can get on post, some of the housing, especially the new stuff is very nice and is quite convenient. If not, there are plenty of apartments which in some cases can be even closer to work than some of the base communities.

The one problem is if your kids are school age and you are living off post, and are unable to get them into the DoD school on post. I would not want to put my kids in the Fayetteville public schools and I drove 37 miles each way to work in order to avoid it.

Being able to come home and clean up after PT or to pop home for lunch and maybe a quick nap sure beats joining the pack on Yadkin International Raceway for the fast food lunch crowd, or bagging it in the classroom.

Good luck.

TR

Old 05-10-2007, 19:50   #30
Daver
Quiet Professional

Lived in 4 different places

being on Post isn't bad if you have kids NOT in High School
Raeford is cheap and the homes aren't bad..but...the schools are not well funded. We moved on post to get away from Raeford schools in 2001
Fayetteville isn't bad on the Kelly Springfield side of town in the North Ramsey Street area...the area on the East side of I-95 near Cypress Lake Golf Course is nice too. Southern Pines, Whispering Pines and Pinehurst are great and have the best schools in the "Public System" in the area IMHO. The drive from Pinehurst to the main post gas station for a reference purpose is approx 35 miles or 50 minutes drive time. I live there now and don't mind the drive, but like TR stated, I can't go home after PT or to have lunch anymore. It's a trade off, but a good one...my boys are in High School at a good school and my car insurance is cheaper than in Hoke or Cumberland County.
Daver is offline   Reply With Quote