Old 03-19-2018, 11:52   #1
slippery_squid
Asset

Joining SF

As a current Sailor looking to join the Army to become SF; how would you guys view me being on the team?

After having read pretty much all the threads I'm under the opinion that as long as I pull my weight I'll be gtg.

I still have a few more month before I can start talking to an Army recruiter.

I've been following mtntactical.com "Rookie Package" and plan on following it up with the "Ruck based selection Program".

Thank in advance for any and all responses.
slippery_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 18:50   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

You pass all of the hurdles and earn the Beret, you are good to go as a newbie. The big if.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:51   #3
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
You pass all of the hurdles and earn the Beret, you are good to go as a newbie. The big if.
...well that, and of course he will be subject to every Navy joke the team smart a$$ can come up with, but I think that goes without saying.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:48   #4
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Towards the end of my SF company command (2012) we had a prior sailor join us shortly after earning his Green Beret. He was assigned to the underwater operations detachment and, by all accounts, he was a phenomenal performer and an asset to the team. He gifted his life for his teammates and his country in combat in 2013.

SF is accepting of all backgrounds as long as you qualify and are willing to shoulder more than your share of the task, “whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some”.

Best of luck with your endeavors.
Old 03-20-2018, 14:14   #5
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Prior service guys from other branches of service are usually value added. There's sometimes an eclectic background of previous skills and experiences present on an ODA. Everything from ballet dancers to airline mechanics. Or master truck drivers to infantrymen. Sometimes, unusual backgrounds come in handy. You'd be surprised.

As mentioned, the day you arrive on a Team Room doorstep, you're assumed to have met the prerequisites for being there. Everything after that is on you. You won't take any more ribbing or criticism than any other cherry. In other words, whatever you earn by your actions, words, and demonstrated personality.

Even if you were a Squid.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 18:34   #6
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Shipmate,

Seems like everyone is being nice.

What if I told you that it might be held against you, in spite of what you think? Now what? You could come across me anywhere. Pretty stressful to think about. right? Just saying...

Regardless, I'm curious as to what credible info clued you into the fact that someone might hold it against you? I guess the secret is out as far as adherence to standards being on a curve depending on where you come from and what you look like.

Also I'm wondering if your primary interest in joining SF and being on a team is doing the work on behalf of a (sometimes ungrateful) Nation or for some other personal reason known only to you, or is it to get hugs?

Oh. Just to avoid confusion... I personally am not interested in your answers to any of my questions...

abc
Old 03-20-2018, 22:53   #7
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
Prior service guys from other branches of service are usually value added. There's sometimes an eclectic background of previous skills and experiences present on an ODA. Everything from ballet dancers to airline mechanics. Or master truck drivers to infantrymen. Sometimes, unusual backgrounds come in handy. You'd be surprised.

As mentioned, the day you arrive on a Team Room doorstep, you're assumed to have met the prerequisites for being there. Everything after that is on you. You won't take any more ribbing or criticism than any other cherry. In other words, whatever you earn by your actions, words, and demonstrated personality.

Even if you were a Squid.
.....Ballet dancer?

I'll bite. Is there a story behind that one?
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote